Little Confused With HomeSeer 1.7 Support

BraveSirRobbin

I saw where Rich posted THIS reply stating that a downloadable CD will be available for HomeSeer 1.7x files. Is this posted over HS land?

I'm just a little concerned because I also received the notice below which states HomeSeer 1.7 support will end at the end of this month.

I don't mind the end of the support (I can understand not wanting to put resources into supporting this older program), but would like a way to get older version plugins and such that I "may" want in the future. :unsure:

Attachments

• hsalert.jpg
    hsalert.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 45
BraveSirRobbin said:
I saw where Rich posted THIS reply stating that a downloadable CD will be available for HomeSeer 1.7x files. Is this posted over HS land?
That one post is the only post about a CD being available. HST could have avoided a lot of negative things if they had made that post when they announced the end-of-life for 1.7 instead of making everybody panic.

Hello all,

I have not had a chance to work on the CD as intended, but there is no need to worry about this. We will be leaving up the updater until a CD is ready. So you will either have the online update, or a CD, or some other method to install plugins. Our intent is to not leave anyone hanging. Our real goal is get everyone on HS2! We are working real hard on adding new features and making HS2 the best it can be.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC

Rich,
I know you want everyone on HS2 and I'd love to go but here's what keeps me away...

-- HS 1.7 has been working perfectly for 2 years now running on my PII-500 w/ 384mb ram w/ XP SP2. Will HS run on the same equip?

-- I have a ton of time put into my custom ASP pages that makes a nice web interface and I'd think it would require a lot of porting over, time I do not have or wish to give up. The current "touch-pad" interface, no offence, is plain/ugly/amaturish looking, not customizable enough (needs drag-n-drop customization) and has inefficient navigation for the way I use my interface (all-in-one screen with all my needed devices/events on a single screen all graphical/animated representation).

*I could buy a better interface but that brings me to the next point... and largest hurdle

-- Cost of plug-ins = OMG!
These were free, or inexpensive previously... now they can easily take the cost of the software sky-high. If plug-ins were $10-$15 that would be fine but just to get my 1.7 to 2.0 with all the plug-ins would cost me hundreds without the cost of HS itself

The cost / benefit ratio is so negative it is not funny.

Bring the cost of the plug-ins back to reality ($10-15) and then you may get more of us to upgrade.

Putting a deadline on the $89 upgrade price will not make me do it.

Not sure how many people have not upgraded but I suspect they are staying with 1.7 for the same reasons?

Aaron,
HomeSeer 2 uses the same ASP engine as it did in HS 1.7 so your asp pages should work just fine. That antique PC is not going to cut it though, so if that's the hardware you want to keep using then you better stick with 1.7. As far as plugins go - sure they look expensive if you look at every plugin that HomeSeer offers but who is using every plugin that HomeSeer sells. The ones that are not free are "generally" specialty plugins. I do not have a single paid plugin and I have a semi elaborate HomeSeer setup.

Not this conversation again.

Kudos to the HS team for leaving up the updater until the CD is released.

Squintz said:

Kudos to the HS team for leaving up the updater until the CD is released.
It's a slow time of year squintz :D Plus I'm sure some didn't see this the first time it came around.

Thanks for the reply Rich. I'm just not ready to head over to HS 2 yet (to busy). That plus the fact HS 1.7 has been soooo reliable, it will be a while till I switch. I did purchase version two though when it first came out! :D

Squintz said:
I'm afraid I will also have to agree with Squintz on this one! Not that the discussions are not without merrit, it's just that this has been rehashed over and over and over... :D

Hey! Come on! Now that the political ads are gone (at least for 2-3 months), we need something useless to argue about

jlehnert said:
Hey! Come on! Now that the political ads are gone (at least for 2-3 months), we need something useless to argue about
Hey here in Alabama the ad's are still running. I guess you get what your pay for and they still have a few to run. It was funny the first week. Now it's getting old.

For me, they get old after the first one. Growing up in a suburb of Washington, I've been VERY cynical about politicians, even when I was young and innocent. Now that I'm old(er) and cynical, politicians rate somewhere above.............uh.....

I'll get back to you on that one.

Back