Little Confused With HomeSeer 1.7 Support

Here is a simple utility I wrote to download all the files available for HS 1.7, this was before Rich announced the CD. It's very basic so should be self expainatory.

Attachments

• HS17_updater_1.1.zip
    9.8 KB · Views: 77
I think the HS folks are missing out on a valuable selling tool... Why not sell HS 1.7 at a reasonable rate( HS Lite?), and make it the "entry level" of their product line. It would be great for the beginners, and a good stepping stone to their flagship HS 2.0. softwares. No development, it is as stable as it comes ,it works well, and has a fairly short learning curve.

Just My Humble Opinion.

Bruce L said:
Here is a simple utility I wrote to download all the files available for HS 1.7, this was before Rich announced the CD. It's very basic so should be self expainatory.
Worked like a champ Bruce. I'm making a CD now and will place it in my safe deposit box in my bank! :D

Gemini said:
I think the HS folks are missing out on a valuable selling tool... Why not sell HS 1.7 at a reasonable rate( HS Lite?), and make it the "entry level" of their product line. It would be great for the beginners, and a good stepping stone to their flagship HS 2.0. softwares. No development, it is as stable as it comes ,it works well, and has a fairly short learning curve.

Just My Humble Opinion.
You are right, 1.7 is very stable. I have no idea about 2.x since I have never installed it.

But... I do understand Rich's push to get off 1.7. HS 2.x is build on a more flexible and robust platform (.net).

I just wish I got more bang-for-my-buck instead of less!

Once I have a need, I will likely move to something else like Girder where the most of the plug-ins are free like it was in Homeseer's "golden days" and it has a great front-end system called NetRemote.

Or Housebot, which has a builtin GUI front-end and is fairly mature.

Or if I decide to spend the big $ I would have on Homeseer 2.x and plug-ins I'll get Charmed Quark (CQC) where it have a fantastic front-end built-in and tons of drivers native.

Or for the low-cost alternative, MisterHouse.

You could also tie MainLobby w/ HS 1.7 (or 2.0 / 2.1). This allows you to migrate in increments instead of throwing away and rebuilding.

Bruce L said:
Thanks Bruce...Downloaded and burned...worked like a charm.

jlehnert said:
You mentioned you lived on/near a lake. It's not lake Anna by any chance?
It is.
COOL! I used to boat and camp there every weekend when I lived in Northern VA. Christopher Run. It's a beautiful lake and a small world. I kick myself for not buying a water front lot for $10,000 but that Nuclear power plant was always in the back of my mind.

Aaron said:
Gemini said:

Just My Humble Opinion.
You are right, 1.7 is very stable. I have no idea about 2.x since I have never installed it.

But... I do understand Rich's push to get off 1.7. HS 2.x is build on a more flexible and robust platform (.net).

I just wish I got more bang-for-my-buck instead of less!

Once I have a need, I will likely move to something else like Girder where the most of the plug-ins are free like it was in Homeseer's "golden days" and it has a great front-end system called NetRemote.

Or Housebot, which has a builtin GUI front-end and is fairly mature.

Or if I decide to spend the big $ I would have on Homeseer 2.x and plug-ins I'll get Charmed Quark (CQC) where it have a fantastic front-end built-in and tons of drivers native.

Or for the low-cost alternative, MisterHouse.
Over half of the 200 plus plugins that HomeSeer has are free so I'm not sure why you keep complaining about the cost of plugins. Which ones would you need? All of the powerline based plugins are free as are all of the most used plugins aside from the ACRF which is less than a tank of gas.

Rupp said:
All of the powerline based plugins are free as are all of the most used plugins aside from the ACRF which is less than a tank of gas.
The UPB plugin is $39, not free. The Lightolier Compose plugin is also $39.

COOL! I used to boat and camp there every weekend when I lived in Northern VA. Christopher Run.
Wow. I'm down on the main lake near the dam.
I kick myself for not buying a water front lot for $10,000
You can still afford it. Waterfronts are only $300,000 now. :eek:
Nuclear power plant
That's a benefit. If you're night fishing and drop your catch, you just look for the glow. ;)

WayneW said:
Rupp said:
All of the powerline based plugins are free as are all of the most used plugins aside from the ACRF which is less than a tank of gas.
The UPB plugin is $39, not free. The Lightolier Compose plugin is also $39.
Wayne,
Good point on the UPB plugin but at the cost of 1/2 of a switch this is a small price to pay.

The Lightolier Compose plugin is one of the specialty plugins so that's why it's a paid plugin.

My point is for the majority of users there aren't many paid plugins that are needed to run your home automation.

jlehnert said:
COOL! I used to boat and camp there every weekend when I lived in Northern VA. Christopher Run.
Wow. I'm down on the main lake near the dam.
I kick myself for not buying a water front lot for $10,000
You can still afford it. Waterfronts are only $300,000 now. :eek:
Nuclear power plant
That's a benefit. If you're night fishing and drop your catch, you just look for the glow. ;)
I would love to come back and see the lake some day. We spent 6 years worth of summers there. I wonder if I would remember the layout. I'll holler at you if I ever get back to that area. Lucky you for having that lake at your disposal. You ever go to the warm side?

Nope. It would be nice this time of year, but the main lake gets to hot for my liking in the summer. Dominion wants to add 2 more reactors, but the warm side folks got upset when they figured out that that would raise the summer temp to over 110. Dominion is planning on cooling towers now.

And so that I'm not completely off-topic, my HS2 install is working flawlessly now and I'm willing to pay for plugins if it means I don't have to code them myself.

Back