Lock Bumping

roussell

New topic for me so I was pretty surprised to hear about it. It's scary how quickly one can open essentially any lock on the market with this technique. The video in this link is long (about 1 1/2 hours) but after the first 10-15 minutes you get the idea. They later go on to demonstrate how easy it is to make a bump key and open locks...

http://connectmedia.waag.org/toool/whatthebump.wmv

Maybe it's time for me to get an elk and install those electric jams I bought over a year ago... :)

Terry

I expect as this becomes more common knolwledge the manufacturers will come up with something . . . hopefully a drop in 'core' replacement . . . but in the meantime ? ? ?

. . . be aware ! ! ! (or is that beware ? ? ? )

Pete C

Lock bumping has been around for years and still nothing has been done (I doubt consumer would pay more money for the better locks anyways). But I am personally not worried about it, if someone wants to get in your house, and is that 'smart', even a good lock wont keep him out. I consider a lock a deterrent for the dumb thieves, rely on your alarm system to actually scare / catch anyone who made it past the door.

Who uses locks when you have all this automation staring the perpetrator in the face.

//A bit off topic

Recently on Mythbusters, they were able to defeat 3 types of security devices. They defeated a thermal sensor by hanging a frame of glass over it. To defeat a sonic sensor, they held up a bed sheet in the direction of the sensor as they walked through the room.

What I thought was the best part was when they tested this fingerprint lock that was supposed to sensor for pulse and moisture to make sure the finger print was living. They were able to defeat it with 3 different items, one being a printout on copy paper of the fingerprint.

I definitely don't agree with fingerprint readers on a front door, way too easy to defeat, and such a high tech lock might make people thing you are hiding valuable stuff.

If yoo want to see more lock bumping videos, check out youtube.com.

electron said:
if someone wants to get in your house, and is that 'smart', even a good lock wont keep him out.
the problem I see is that 'dumb' people can pull this off . . . and as it becomes more commonly known more dumb people will try . . .

. . . also there is (w/o security sys in place) no way to tell you've been victimized . . . no busted lock/door/window . . . and (as noted in the 'deadbolts revisited' post) if unlocking your door disarms your system . . . well . . .

I'd be worried if I lived in an apartment or condo . . . typically all those locks have the same blank . . . just too inviting . . . even for the dumb teenager that previously would have just pilfered from you car . . . now he's in your home in a snap . . .

me? I've got two dogs . . . even though one is a 'puntable' jack russell, their barking is a great deterent . . . old school security at it's best . . .

Pete C

I agree with the dumb people statement. My point is that you shouldn't count on locks anymore for security/protection of your assets, since now both dumb and smart people can get in your house without any issues. Sad world.

TCassio said:
Get a DOG! :lol:
truth. Our dogs are completely harmless, but the way they attack the front door when anyone they dont know shows up is enough to make the mail carrier not bring packages onto the porch anymore.

pete said:
the problem I see is that 'dumb' people can pull this off . . . and as it becomes more commonly known more dumb people will try . . .
in the first engadget link i posted, there is a video of an 11 year old girl, without any prior experience, bumping a lock in a few seconds...

Back