Logging Security System Events

rappa

I'm interested in logging security system events (e.g. door open/close, motion, arm/disarm etc.) to a . I currently have a hardwired GE Concord Express system and so far I have considered the following options:

1. Buy a NX-8e NetworX Caddx panel that has built-in serial port and interface with Homeseer via plugin.

2. Buy a 60-783-02 Superbus 2000 Automation Module W/Rs232 and write Homeseer plugin to communicate. I haven't been able to find much information on this device but seems like it should be up to the task.

3. Replace security system with ELK-M1 Gold. This seems to be the system of choice based on reading this forum. My concern with this option is how many parts do I need to replace -- hopefully just keypads and panel. I would assume the door/motion sensors would be compatible.

In the future I will consider a hardware controller but at this time I want to keep the price down so I'm focusing on software controllers (e.g. homeseer). I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

I like a permanent log of some events like arm/disarm (of 3 separate areas), high temp in freezer, drive activity, etc. To do this I have a point of sale printer connected to a Homevision controller. When the event takes place in the M1G it communicates it to the HV and is printed and time/date stamped. I end up with about a 2' strip each day of activities. It would be shorter, but I have an event that reports ever 4 hours the status of several items. I like having this permanent printed record.

As far as replacing your system with an M1G you will likely have to locate and replace any end-of-line resistors, possibly 2-wire smoke detectors if they aren't compatable. Hard wired motions should be fine as well as any HW door and windor sensors.

rappa said:
I'm interested in logging security system events (e.g. door open/close, motion, arm/disarm etc.) to a . I currently have a hardwired GE Concord Express system and so far I have considered the following options:

1. Buy a NX-8e NetworX Caddx panel that has built-in serial port and interface with Homeseer via plugin.

2. Buy a 60-783-02 Superbus 2000 Automation Module W/Rs232 and write Homeseer plugin to communicate. I haven't been able to find much information on this device but seems like it should be up to the task.

3. Replace security system with ELK-M1 Gold. This seems to be the system of choice based on reading this forum. My concern with this option is how many parts do I need to replace -- hopefully just keypads and panel. I would assume the door/motion sensors would be compatible.

In the future I will consider a hardware controller but at this time I want to keep the price down so I'm focusing on software controllers (e.g. homeseer). I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Any of these options will work when using HomeSeer and your right about the M1 being the hottest system going right now. There's a free M1 plugin as well for HomeSeer.

If all you want is logging right now, I'm sure there is an inexpensive solution, even perhaps just signing with NextAlarm even if just for logging.

OTOH, if you are looking for more functionality and something to grow with, I essentially did your option 3 myself. I replaced an old AT&T alarm panel with an M1. For the most part the initial install just changed the panel and keypads, but depending on how much and what you have, it may be incompatible like carry said. Personally, I would not spend $200 on software just to do logging unless you plan to use it as a main controller.

You can do a HyperTerminal connection with RS-232 or Ethernet to the ELK M1 and do basic logging of all the activity pushed out the RS-232 port. It will be in ASCII Text Strings, but it is readable.

A PC program could filter out all the unwanted text strings like the 30 second time stamp.

The beauty of using a software interface is you can trigger events on the logging as well. For Ex. I have HomeSeer email me if motion is sensed on my deck three times in a 3 minute period. It also emails me the images from my cameras.

Thanks for all the responses. I have been impressed with the level of knowledge on this forum. I'm interested in more than just logging, and being a software developer I'm especially interested in the SDK for Homeseer. Currently I have a custom application that logs events from X10 motion detectors to a database, and a corresponding web application that displays the events. This works fine but I'd like to move to a more integrated solution and it looks like Homeseer can provide that.

Good suggestion for using NextAlarm. I am planning on signing up with NextAlarm for their monitoring service, but for the events I'd like them to be accessable by scripts for customization. I don't think NextAlarm has an api for accessing events, although that would be nice.

I think for now I'm going to hold off on the Elk and try and get by with my GE system. Hopefully the only change will be replacing the panel with a Caddx (assuming the Concord keypads are compatible), or getting a Concord hybrid panel (apparently the Concord Express is not compatible with the automation module).

Does anyone have any information on the automation module for Concord systems:
60-783-02 Superbus 2000 Automation Module W/Rs232
I had thought I read somewhere that the Caddx Homeseer plugin is compatible but I'm not sure.

rappa said:
Thanks for all the responses. I have been impressed with the level of knowledge on this forum. I'm interested in more than just logging, and being a software developer I'm especially interested in the SDK for Homeseer. Currently I have a custom application that logs events from X10 motion detectors to a database, and a corresponding web application that displays the events. This works fine but I'd like to move to a more integrated solution and it looks like Homeseer can provide that.

Good suggestion for using NextAlarm. I am planning on signing up with NextAlarm for their monitoring service, but for the events I'd like them to be accessable by scripts for customization. I don't think NextAlarm has an api for accessing events, although that would be nice.

I think for now I'm going to hold off on the Elk and try and get by with my GE system. Hopefully the only change will be replacing the panel with a Caddx (assuming the Concord keypads are compatible), or getting a Concord hybrid panel (apparently the Concord Express is not compatible with the automation module).

Does anyone have any information on the automation module for Concord systems:
60-783-02 Superbus 2000 Automation Module W/Rs232
I had thought I read somewhere that the Caddx Homeseer plugin is compatible but I'm not sure.
I would suggest posting this in the Caddx plugin forum to get the definitive answer from the plugin developer.

Back