Looking for custom TV arm

dwalt

Looking for a company that can supply a TV arm that folds up (wall mounted) or swings out (hinged on one side).
This TV will cover cabinets that need to be accessed rarely. The arm needs to mount to the wall above the TV, not the ceiling.
All standard arms attach directly behind the TV which won't work, rising up from a floor cabinet wont work either.
The closest thing I can find is www.HVTVmounts.com but its not quite right either. Any thoughts?

Yup above the TV and in front of the cabinets will be a bit tough. 

I've never seen one as shown on your web link.  Maybe you can call them and tell them what you want or are looking for and see what they can come up with.

You would need to articulate or pivot the TV such that it will support the weight of the LCD TV (and tighten it). 

Not sure if you can get the left and right movement with the pivots on a horizontal plane.

I had a heck of a time mounting a 36-37" up high with a regular arm mostly doing this on a ladder which was a bit of a balancing act. 

It works fine for me but I never really move it much. Still concerned about the weight but its been a couple of years and hasn't fallen off the wall yet.

I wonder if you could use a standard VESA swing arm mount, with an extender plate that dropped the TV to the right height.  You might have to get the plate custom machined, but that's not going to be very hard.  Heck, some flat plate stock and a drill press would do it.

Photo? Sounds like a lot of trouble for a suboptimal design solution, unless the constraints of the problem are really that bad.

It's going to be tough to make that work.  If anything you'll be left with a pretty ugly looking mount above the TV on that wall.  That and most articulating mounts don't have any sort of springs in them, which you'd need in order to raise the TV to clear the cabinet doors.  With the TV in the down position you'd be left seeing the mount all the time.  I would think that would be worse than not being able to get into the cabinets...

What about just having new door(s) made for the cabinet that accommodate the TV in some fashion?  We've got a setup like that on our boat.  There's a cabinet above the galley counter with a TV mounted in a cabinet door.  Granted, it's a small 15" 4:3 TV, so it doesn't require anything fancier than the door having a clamp on the back of it for the TV.  I've seen other boats that used to have CRT televisions retrofit an LCD with a swing arm mounted along a side wall inside the cabinet.  This lets them swing the TV out and gain new cabinet space behind it.  Win-win.

Perhaps something similar might be worth considering?

It would help if you'd take a picture and post it online somewhere (photobucket, etc).

Do you have enough vertical clearance above the cabinets for the whole TV?   Is an 18" drop enough to bring the TV down to a proper viewing height?

From their documentation it states not to install into less than 5/8" drywall.  Is your wall thick enough, or do you have studs where this would be mounted?

enough clearance for TV - yes
thick drywall with standard construction stud spacing
I just need the TV to move down for viewing and up (couple times a year only) to open door on recessed panel thats behind.

They do specifically call out you can't use just 1/2" drywall, which is the most commonly installed thickness in a lot of new construction.  

Standard stud spacing doesn't mean there's a stud where you need it.  

Given the way that mount works, the movement and the tilt, it would see REALLY important not to deviate from their minimum recommendations.  Last thing you need to have happen is for someone to forget the install wasn't ideal (some time down the road) and have the TV and mount fall off the wall.

I'll repeat the suggestion, post a picture of the situation.  Folks here have tried all manner of things, over decades.  Sometimes a picture helps avoid some unexpected gotchas.  Your call, of course...

I appreciate the suggestion for a picture. I don't have the job yet so I can't go onsite to get one. Also the rough in is not finished so I can't take a picture of exactly what I'm mounting to. This is just so I have choices to present to the client and general contractor so we can be successful.

First it's a cabinet (implies 12"+ depth from wall) and now it's a recessed panel?  That's completely different.  What kind of strange wonders are located behind this inconveniently placed access panel?

Here's the thing, TV placement height is very dependent on the viewing angle from the seating.  Mount it too high and it's uncomfortable to watch.  I see people putting them above fireplaces and wonder how soon they're realize what a mistake that was... 

I think a better description of the setup would help quite a lot.  Especially if you're fishing for a job based on not knowing enough about TV mounts.  I think I speak for other homeowners and say I'd rather have a well-thought-out installation, not just 'something that kinda works'.  

So let's get this straight...the job is being roughed without knowing how or where the TV is going, how it's going to be viewed and/or where the furniture or cabinetry is to be placed?

Not to sound crass, but do you realize how assinine that sounds when you're attempting to put solutions in front of the GC and HO? It's no different than the geek's doing a hang and bang after the fact....not to mention you might as well do that and just get the wires into the vicinity you're hoping for and then deal with worrying about making it work after the fact if you don't have the project nailed down, let alone materials that are going to be installed.

Why a TV? Why not a projector? Why does the unit need to be placed in that specific location? What furniture is going to be in the area? How about speakers? Hoping for a soundbar and forget any surround?

Is this spec or custom build? Generally the HO specifies what they want and the integrator provides cabling locations, but they need to know the budget and equipment that is going in before a solution can be proposed?

All I'm getting at is it sounds like you're putting the cart ahead of the horse in this case, especially without a signed contract or work order.

Back