Looking for moisture sensor for behind shower wall

Unrelated to a moisture sensor behind a shower wall....

Here we had sort of a freak occurrence in one isolated attic.  One section of the breakfast nook in the kitchen has its own attic.  It is vented properly but sealed from the rest of the attics in the home.  It's been a few years now but we had one of those 50 MPH + winter blizzards occur one night a few years ago.  Most of the snow with the wind adhered to things outside horizontally and froze.  Two exterior doors got sealed via the mixture of snow and ice.

Other than the howling wind for a few hours (well all night) we were fine inside of the home. 

About 2 weeks later while eating dinner one night we started to see water dripping from the little chandelier over the table in the kitchen dining nook.  I cut the power to the chandelier, removed it and moving it released water.  I ended up cutting a hole about 2 foot square in the ceiling.

I poked my head up into the hole and noticed that there was a pile of snow maybe 4 feet high along one edge of the attic. The space of the attic was large and high (thinking some 8-9 feet following the pitch of the roof.  I ended up removing a few buckets of snow from the section with the drift while it was still melting.  The attic space was well insulated with two vents on the roof.  We repaired the dry wall ceiling that was a bit damaged and all is well today.  You cannot tell.  The section of the roof in question has caused me issues as its mostly in the shade during the day such that snow does pile up on it and sits sometimes not melting for long periods of time.  Outside I have reflashed that section of roof and moved the drainage gutter from the upper roof gutter to a different section of the lower roof such that it is closer to the lower roof drainage gutter.

Its been a few years now and we have had no issues.  We also have not had another 50 MPH blizzard since that time.

When doing tile you are supposed to use caulk and not grout where all planes meet, otherwise it will crack due to wall movement, (use sanded caulk from the tile section to match your grout).  Grout (and concrete backer board) are not water proof, so even caulking the corners will not permanently solve your problem if the underlying surfaces are not waterproofed properly.  So you will likely continue to have issues in the future regardless of how you treat the corner.

Schluter products are ideal for waterproofing and crack prevention, used them when I redid my bathroom.

Also the best place to get advice on tile, etc is John Bridge's forum and I highly recommend his book it is full of great info and an entertaining read for a how-to book.

Back