looking for mountable mini LCD's

Darn You Electron !!

The more I looked at that thing, the more I decided I "needed" one also! Cost me $106.44 with tax.

They had something similar a few months ago, and when I got around to ordering, they were all gone. Supplies are limited on much of there stuff, in fact, think I ordered their last one (just kidding)

;)

Darn you JohnBullard, now I want one even more lol, I just don't have the budget for this yet ;)

Well, if it doesn't do what I think I want to use one for, I'll pass it on to you! And since you're such a nice guy and know what I paid for mine, I won't "mark up the price to you too much! lol

Take a look at this LCD:

4 inch LCD from Computer Geeks

It looks like the same one the MPJA has (but it's only $60). Compgeeks has been selling this for quite a while. I finally caved in and got one. It's composite only (no VGA input).

The quality is actually not too bad (even the audio works, but it's very "small" sounding, which is no surprise). The viewing angle is extremely limited. If you're not looking at it directly, a lot of colors will "fade to black" - you'd know what I mean if you see it. The resolution is pretty low and some colors really look dithered but it's often not noticeable. Low resolution computer output is readable but text can look "wavy".

One thing hasn't worked too well (but I haven't experimented much). It does not seem to be able to handle a direct feed from a black and white camera. It doesn't sync correctly. The image is stable, but it's shifted vertically and there's a black bar a short distance up from the bottom of the display.

The other thing I don't like: The plastic case is thin and the backlight is very bright. The whole case lights up when it's on - I don't think this is intentional. When I get around to it, I'll probably take it apart and paint the case black or dark gray - throwing away any hope of a warranty.

Altogether, it's not too bad for $60. I've even been tempted to get another since it's convenient to have a small composite monitor around.

Computer Geeks also has this display/video tape player combination:

LCD with video tape player

I haven't seen this one so I don't know if the display is better or not - I think the external appearance is probably better.

wow, nice review smee! I never noticed these before when browsing compgeeks, they might come in handy someday, thanks for the tip!

I actually bought that VCR/LCD from CompGeeks. I needed it for the VCR since the one in my van died. I already have a small LCD similar to the one at the top of this thread (the one where the backlight shows through the bezel) except it's 5.6", not 4. I didn't fire up the little LDC that came with the CompGeeks thing.

If I get a little time, I will fire it up and report back.

Joe

Back