M1 install help needed

ellisr63

We just installed the M1 last night and we have a problem... When I use the ElkRP software it can't find the M1. We are using the M1Xep. We have tried Ip assigned by DHCP and use static IP no love :(

I tried t ping with no results... so I hooked it up directly to my pc and did ipconfig... gave me Autoconfiguration IP address 169.254.51.251. so I tried that again no love :(

I went into my router config and it sees the mac address as attachecd but no ip address or Device name.

I would try powering down and pwering back up the IP module and then try the find feature again with using a static address.

If going directly to the PC you need a crossover cable I beleive. If going to router you can not use a crossover cable.

I know these are basics but that is what is sometimes overlooked and causes hours of frustrations.

Digger said:
I would try powering down and pwering back up the IP module and then try the find feature again with using a static address.

If going directly to the PC you need a crossover cable I beleive. If going to router you can not use a crossover cable.

I know these are basics but that is what is sometimes overlooked and causes hours of frustrations.
Thanks... The instructions said to use a crossover cable... switch to a regular cable to the router and it connects :( :)

I have the AprilAire 8870 thermostat... we ran a cat 5 from it to the Elk M1....

I also have the AprilAire 8061, 8811 and a temp sensor..

Now does the 8061 get mounted outside the box the M1 is installed in? It looks like it is for wall mount so I was not sure.

Or would I mount this right above my 8870 on the wall and then run the cat5 to the 8811 then to the M1?

I have read the AprilAire instructions and I am getting confused.

tia,
Ron

An Aprilaire needs the M1XSP serial interface module. The aprilaire has a conversion box from their protocol also. You can not go directly from an Aprilaire to the M1.

A temp sensor on the Aprilaire will be for the Aprilaire operation only.

Spanky said:
An Aprilaire needs the M1XSP serial interface module.  The aprilaire has a conversion box from their protocol also.  You can not go directly from an Aprilaire to the M1.

A temp sensor on the Aprilaire will be for the Aprilaire operation only.
My mistake I meant to the M1 box... I have the M1XSP too. So the 8870 gets connected to the M1XP and that gets connected to the M1... Where does the 881, 8061 and the temp sensors come in then? Is there anywhere that I could see a flow chart or wiring diagram for all these hooked up together?

The temp sensor will still be able to be read from the Elk though correct?
tia,
ron

Helheim said:
ellisr63 said:
tia,
ron
It's hooked up to the 8870 and I don't think the elk can read it.
I was hoping it owuld since I have the AprilAire hooked up to the Elk... I thought it would grab the info from the M1 and send it to the keypad for that zone.

ellisr63 said:
Helheim said:
ellisr63 said:
tia,
ron
It's hooked up to the 8870 and I don't think the elk can read it.
I was hoping it owuld since I have the AprilAire hooked up to the Elk... I thought it would grab the info from the M1 and send it to the keypad for that zone.
I could be wrong but that's the way I understood it.

Assuming by "temp sensor" you mean the 8051 flushmount, the wiring goes:

8051->8061->8870->8811->Elk.

I know for a fact that the 8870 shows the temp in the onboard 8061 seperately as the remote temp. My aprilaire communications have been broken ever since I put in the distro panel, but if direct to CQC, I think it's T1RemTempSensor1 for 8051, T1Tempsensor1 for 8061.

No idea what it would be if via the Elk, or if the Elk can display that temp on the keypads.

IVB said:
Assuming by "temp sensor" you mean the 8051 flushmount, the wiring goes:

8051->8061->8870->8811->Elk.

I know for a fact that the 8870 shows the temp in the onboard 8061 seperately as the remote temp. My aprilaire communications have been broken ever since I put in the distro panel, but if direct to CQC, I think it's T1RemTempSensor1 for 8051, T1Tempsensor1 for 8061.

No idea what it would be if via the Elk, or if the Elk can display that temp on the keypads.
So I can use the 8061 in another room for a temp sensor correct?

Does this mean I need 2 cat 5 cables running to the 8870 plus the normal cable that is already running to the 8870?

Back