M1 keypad

Yes just cat5.

I didn't install a gang box. Just drilled a small hole big enough to run the cat5 cable through.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
What gang box do I need for M1KP,single or double?
Neil:

I use double gang boxes. Since yours is a new house you have the luxury of installing the box. Single boxes will work but the M1KP covers the double gang box anyway.

If you use a j-box and decide later to upgrade the keypad and flush mount it, it may be a pain to remove it later if nailed to the stud. IMHO if a j-box is need I would use a retrofit box after drywall so it can be removed easily later if wanted.

Steve said:
If you use a j-box and decide later to upgrade the keypad and flush mount it, it may be a pain to remove it later if nailed to the stud. IMHO if a j-box is need I would use a retrofit box after drywall so it can be removed easily later if wanted.
Actually, I'm facing a situation now. I want to make sure I put all the wires correctly both for whole house video/audio, automation and security. It's a new house with no drywalls yet. However, I don't know which to get, either 2 gang box, 3 gang box or like what you have mentioned, j-box.

I'm going to research on google to find out how j-box look like.

standard two-gang box works fine

standard two-gang box can also be removed later without damaging the sheetrock if you're handyman by prying off the two side nails and carefully pull out of existing hole

adjustable depth two-gang box can be easily removed later by unscrewing the box

Sure it can be done, but in my case we have aluminum studs and boxes are screwed in the stud. So to remove them you almost always have to use a hacksaw or reciprocating saw, and the screws are above/below the opening, so it does screw up your drywall - unless you just cut off the holder portion and leave the screws behind.

And a j-box is the same thing as a gang box...

So guys, for a different room like LOFT or DEN, if I will have an in-wall IR receiver, volume control, keypad for music like UNO from Russound, would a 3 gang box be enough for this? The problem with me is that, I still don't know which product to buy. :) But those are the products I'm leaning to.

Can you guys show a picture of an already installed IR, UNO keypads, volume control? Do I still need a volume control if I will be putting the Russound UNO keypad?

The uno has volume control and also ir Now the ir goes to the russound and is then sent out to the sources that you program into the russound. The uno takes a standard 2 outlet box.

ellisr63 said:
The uno has volume control and also ir Now the ir goes to the russound and is then sent out to the sources that you program into the russound. The uno takes a standard 2 outlet box.
oh ok, does that mean that I don't have to acquire Xantech's IR solution?

or what's your comment about this approach, since I still don't know which products to buy, I will only use single gang box for everything. This way it's cheap. Once I have the equipments, that's the time I will rip out wrong gang boxes.

EDIT: I will be using color Blue Carlon gang boxes. They're cheap.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
or what's your comment about this approach, since I still don't know which products to buy, I will only use single gang box for everything. This way it's cheap. Once I have the equipments, that's the time I will rip out wrong gang boxes.

I still think that is a bass ackwards approach. Why put something in just to plan on ripping it out? Retrofit boxes are very easy to install. I would simply run the wire to the location (that's the hard part) then after you decide what you are doing you can very easily pop in a 1-4 gang box. You will then have a nice clean easy install however you decide to do it. Just my $.02.

Steve said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:

I still think that is a bass ackwards approach. Why put something in just to plan on ripping it out? Retrofit boxes are very easy to install. I would simply run the wire to the location (that's the hard part) then after you decide what you are doing you can very easily pop in a 1-4 gang box. You will then have a nice clean easy install however you decide to do it. Just my $.02.
yeah I'd go with old work boxes as well. Just mark where the wires are and when you decide to put your boxes in, just use old work boxes. Much easier than ripping out boxes that are nailed/screwed into studs.

Steve said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:

I'm sorry Steve, got lost when you said retrofit boxes. How do they look like? I'm guessing that they're different that the gang boxes.

Go and look at them at Lowes or HD. They are exactly the same as the regular j-box just that they mount with 'ears' after the drywall is up instead of mounting to the studs.

Back