M1 vs EZ8 Differences

These are the ones I can think of without doing any research:
  • only 8 zones vs 16 zones (but can be expanded up to the same # as the M1)
  • the EZ8 doesn't have any voice support
  • it is supposed to ship with a smaller backup battery from what I have heard
  • it does not have a real time clock chip (not a big deal tho)
  • smaller footprint
If someone form Elk emails me the detailed information for both panels, I could try to create a table which shows the differences.

smaller price!

David stated that a goal of the EZ8 was to get it price competitive with many other security only type of control panels and sell in very high volumes.

Thanks for the quick responses. A list of differences would be great.

I am sure the security aspect of it is as good, if not better, than other panels. My main area of interest right now is the automation side of things. I am looking at this as a replacement for HomeSeer. I am trying to understand what flexibility I might lose/gain by using the EZ8 and how much might need to be handled by PC and sent to the EZ8 thru the comport. Right now I use the W800 to handle motion sensors, DS10's and palmpads, I know that I will need to be creative to make that work with either unit.

I know a few people are looking at using one of these panels to handle most, if not all, of thier automation control. Is there anything that I should consider before making this decision?

Thanks
Rick

Some of the major downfalls, IMO, is that the M1/EZ8 can't talk to the W800RF directly, and the lack of support for IR. I know Elk is pretty busy, and they are looking into some solutions, but those 2 items alone are major showstoppers if you are interested in the HA aspect. If it did that, it could replace many HA setups instantly. I plan on keeping my Ocelot/SCU16 in service, and am looking into using ASCII messages to trigger IR events, but this means I need to get another serial port expander.

As for the W800RF, I am thinking about writing a small application, which understands the W800RF protocol, and send a messages the M1/EZ8 whenever there is something going on. I just have to figure out if I should use ASCII messages or what, since I don't want to run into any potential memory limitations by using so many ASCII messages.

Electron could you elaborate on this for me:
I just have to figure out if I should use ASCII messages or what, since I don't want to run into any potential memory limitations by using so many ASCII messages.

Thanks
Rick

I think he is talking about the Elk's 500 or so rule limit, each asci string would take up a rule....

Back