M1G: Using interior door sensors as conditional alarm triggers

etc6849

I'm curious if anyone is doing :

I have a lot of interior doors that have wired sensors. I don't want them to be a normal alarm sensor since if they are in the open state, I want to still be able to arm the system as normal and not trigger an alarm.

However, if they are in the closed state already and I have armed AWAY, I want the door sensor to trigger an alarm if they are opened. I realize there is some danger in doing this since if a door is partially closed (not latched, but close enough to cause the magnetic reed switch to close), it may blow open due to pressure changes when a HVAC comes on. However, I feel this is probably better than relying on some of the IR only motion sensors I have in these non-critical rooms (I only use dual tech detectors where necessary).

That said, I would like to know the easiest way to go about this. I think setting up logic for each door would be the only way. The logic seems very simple, WHENEVER Door is unsecure AND armed AWAY THEN change alarm state to ALARMING. However, it's not obvious on how to trigger the alarming state using the system's included logic.

My understanding of forced arming is that it does not behave this way so it can't be used. If the door was still open at the end of the timeout period, the system would change to the alarming state. So, is there anyway to do what I'm trying to do?

Forced arming would keep the zone bypassed until it was secured at which point it would be an active security zone. The other option would be to mark it as a bypassable zone. I know I had to program logic into my system when I interfaced keyfobs that triggered relays for arm/disarm with garage door control so I would know if any bypassable zone was about to be bypassed when the alarm routine was triggered. IIRC, when using the keypad with a zone unsecured I would need to enter a code to allow it to be bypassed.

Thanks. It'd been so long since I read the manual that I thought "Force Arm" had some sort of time out. It appears this is the simplest solution.

Back