M1G wireless installation advice

Cat6 is a huge waste of money and a PITA to use for security. It's great for all you other data, etc stuff but for alarm sensors (contacts, PIRs and GB's) 22/2 or 22/4 is all you need and all you will ever need. Phone cable will work but you may find 22/4 cheaper or can get it in different colors if you want. If I misinterpreted this I apologize but it sounded like Cat6 was being recommended for everything including security.

Cat6 is a huge waste of money and a PITA to use for security. It's great for all you other data, etc stuff but for alarm sensors (contacts, PIRs and GB's) 22/2 or 22/4 is all you need and all you will ever need. Phone cable will work but you may find 22/4 cheaper or can get it in different colors if you want. If I misinterpreted this I apologize but it sounded like Cat6 was being recommended for everything including security.

I disagree. Cat6 is only a waste of money if you think what you are installing is going to be there for the next 20 years, and technology won't advance. If you're running the wire, run something that is going to be future-proof for the foreseeable future. Or, run your 22/4, and then run Cat6 along side it so it's there. If you're running it in a new house or a house that is partially finished, this is the only chance you'll get.

I ran all Cat6. For everything. I think it's better to work with because I punched it all down on a 110 block rather than running it directly into my panel, and then cross connected the 110 block terminals to where they need to go. It's flexible, and I never have to worry about accidentally cutting too much off a wire I'm messing with. Really clean wiring also. I did not find Cat6 to be a PITA to work with at all.

A single run gives you 4 pairs. In most of my locations, I'm only using 1 or 2 pairs. But if I need to add anything, it's there. If some super awesome ethernet based sensors come out, I'm wired for it. If I need to put an RS-485 expansion module somewhere else, I'm wired for it. Cat6 was $72 for 1000 feet back in June. Now it's just over $90. I don't know what 22/4 costs, but I ran a LOT of wire for security/HA, and I used about 3000 feet of wire. $270 is a pittance compared to the amount of time you'll waste having to run more wire in the future.

Then again, if you care about code, or UL listed installation, you might not be able to use Cat6 for an alarm. But, I don't care about that, so I didn't even bother to check the regs.

Thanks for feedback.
I wanted the magnetic sensors installed towards the top of the lock-side of door.

I did pop the molding off. For all of my doors the spacing between framing and jamb varied between 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch. I did consider using the space between frame and door jamb to run 22/2 wire. Ultimate the inconsistent spacing made this difficult. I also considered placing the magnet on the bottom of door, but I was somewhat concerned because my porch does not have any protection and doorway entry frequently receives splashes of water.

I decided to go through the extra hassle. With house built on crawlspace, I opted to use a technique that I read about on Internet. I pulled away the quarter-round, used a 1/8 inch extra long drill bit, drilled at edge of hardwoods (for 2-of-3 doors the hardwood did not touch the wall, so I did not technically drill into wood floor) into crawlspace, changed locations and moved into crawlspace underneath drill bit, found the 1/8 drill bit, used a 3/4 inch short stubby spade bit, and drilled back up into wall cavity. I used the Magnepull to pull wire up to hole-saw location. I used a 14 inch ground wire from door side as a pull-stick for pulling wire from hole-saw back into door.

DO NOT forget to put sensors on your upper levels. Most people never do this, and it can be a very common entry point because of it. There are also sensors called pulsor sensors that detect the flex in a deck or roof truss. Depending on the architecture of your house, it might be worth looking into.

Interesting; I'd never heard of those. I wonder how they prevent falsing due to wind and storms.

Back