M1XEP direct monitoring

Clarification

Should the link to the central station fail, other messages like email can be sent provided you still have internet connectability.

The later software upgrades of the M1XEP has addressed some connection issues.

I guess my question/statement wasn't confirmed yet... If you're using something like a NextAlarm ABN and it fails because of crappy internet connectivity, will the Elk know and continue other methods? My understanding is that the ABN fakes out the CS, so the Elk thinks it did its job - is that true?

I think I'm going to give this a try. But first I have a question: how much I should expect to save on home owners insurance? Will adding monitoring pay for itself?

If NextAlarm fakes out the M1 and provides a kissoff to the alarm, the M1 will not go to a backup telephone number unless you have the secondary numbers programmed for always report. You can program the numbers or central stations as backup reporting or always report. An always report number will be sent the alarm even if other numbers are kissed off or faked out.

On the question of insurance savings, it will vary from insurance companies. Check with your insurance company on savings. Many insurance companies will give at least a 10% discount.

The Surgard supervision is as follows:
Supervised on both ends as a programmable supervision ping which is programmable from 10 to 255 seconds. Default is 30 seconds. If supervision is lost, the M1 will automatically report to a second path if a second path is programmed.

The XEP is not being used as an ABN, as Spanky stated, it's a direct communications line to the IP receiver. The quality of your IP connection is what comes into play vs. an enterprise network connection such as what we use with commercial fire alarm and other connections, and your ISP may vary compared to what I see on the enterprise side of the network.

I'd stil recommend, as Spanky alluded to, another form of communication as a secondary means if your ISP is questionable.

I've got 2 Elk's here running the XEP to my CS and have had no faults or loss of heartbeat supervision, however I am running 3 forms of comms on each...1 is my personal M1 and the other is a bench mule/demo remote login unit for prospective clients.

I was interested in finding out more about this monitoring.. Does alarm relay support non-alarm events. Since I didnt want to hijack this thread I created a new one

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18629

Mike (OP),

Have you been having trouble with delays in them receiving comm/ethernet restorals? I have a client setup with it and I see 'Ethernet Trouble' occasionally in the log but then the client gets called (even though we told them don't call for at least 20 min) saying comm has been down for hours. In talking with them they said they were having similar trouble on another similar account and that Pauly was in touch with Elk and looking into it. Also, do you use an encryption key?

Spanky: What exactly does 'Ethernet Trouble/Restore' mean in the log? Does that mean the the XEP had a hardware failure? The XEP lost power? The XEP can't see the network and more? (local? internet?) And how does that relate to communication failure? And - is Alarm Relay in fact working with you on potential issues with the XEP monitoring and reporting status?

If you lost power to the XEP, I'm 99% sure you'd see a module reboot in the log. I've only seen those myself when the local or ISP network connectivity is down. May be wrong, because we've always got multiple power supplies, which are usually the 212S's or other larger units that have trouble contacts.

I believe a lot has to do with the XEP and settings from the CS for the heartbeat pings for supervision as well.

I've had pretty good luck overall on the installs I've been running, but then again, I think I've been lucky that the CS I use has great operators and training, combined with the onsite networks and ISPs.

Mike (OP),

Have you been having trouble with delays in them receiving comm/ethernet restorals? I have a client setup with it and I see 'Ethernet Trouble' occasionally in the log but then the client gets called (even though we told them don't call for at least 20 min) saying comm has been down for hours. In talking with them they said they were having similar trouble on another similar account and that Pauly was in touch with Elk and looking into it. Also, do you use an encryption key?

Spanky: What exactly does 'Ethernet Trouble/Restore' mean in the log? Does that mean the the XEP had a hardware failure? The XEP lost power? The XEP can't see the network and more? (local? internet?) And how does that relate to communication failure? And - is Alarm Relay in fact working with you on potential issues with the XEP monitoring and reporting status?

I recently switched to AlarmRelay via the Elk M1XEP and I am experiencing the exact same issue. What is interesting about this error is it only written to the logs when the restore occurs. I had my home network isolated from the Internet for over 1.5 hours and my Elk M1 reported an Ethernet trouble and restore when the Internet connection was actually restored.

Please post an update here if you receive any information from Elk or AlarmRelay.

More info on my issue here: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19124

Regards,
Ultrajones

I have the same problem, with the disconnects and restores. I know it is not my internet connection, I have a high speed fios line that I can VPN in to my office and leave up for days. I ented up adding a rules that triggers an annoucmenet so i could get an idea of how many disconnects there were each day.

Anyone have any luck getting info out of alarmrelay.

etc6849 said:
If I use the M1XEP for direct monitoring, can I still have my home automation system talk to the Elk to get motion sensor status (e.g. does direct monitoring use the same port)? If not, what is the recommended setup (since I don't have a phone line)? I know I can't run the RP software and use the Elk with my HA system at the same time...
Sorry for resurrection this old thread, but I could not find the answer to this question.

I use a Universal Devices ISY-994 to talk to the M1 via the M1EXP for home utopian control. If I also do IP alarm monitoring via Alarm Relay, will I loose local Home Automation access? If so I may have to go with a different solution like the BAT LTE interface.

Can't you add an XSP so you have a second serial port and move the ISY to that, freeing up the main port for the XEP?

liuping said:
Sorry for resurrection this old thread, but I could not find the answer to this question.

I use a Universal Devices ISY-994 to talk to the M1 via the M1EXP for home utopian control. If I also do IP alarm monitoring via Alarm Relay, will I loose local Home Automation access? If so I may have to go with a different solution like the BAT LTE interface.

My understanding is that the only time the XEP is limited to one connection is when connected to the RP software.  Thus, your ISY and an IP-based monitoring service ought to be able to work concomitantly.

I intend to have a similar situation soon when I switch to Alarm Relay, since I already connect to the XEP with CQC.

If it helps, here's my experience with two ISY/Elk combos in the past, in previous homes. The ISY connects to the Elk via IP, and has no effect on the Elk's M1XEP connecting to Alarm Relay for direct monitoring. It just works.

That said, I can't test, etc., right now as we sold the last property with an Elk. Am thinking of replacing current alarm system (a Napco Gemini) with one, but have hesitated because I can't tell that Elk is as strong as they once were, as a company. If Elk had a decent dealer network (they sent me to a dealer who hadn't even heard of them) OR still had great DIY support like back in the days of Spanky it would be a no-brainer. But they seem to have an even smaller presence as a company than ten years ago, and a retail (DIY) network which has me holding back (dead links on featured dealer sites, sites from ages ago, etc.). It does not inspire confidence and has me worried about the manage,ent, to be frank. I sure miss the days when Spanky was active, I can tell you that. I'd have had an Elk installed the first week in the new property if that level of support and customer interest still existed.

If it helps, I had excellent DIY help from ELK just recently.  I was hooking up my ELK system that had been mothballed for several years (due to work) and Brad was immediately available to help me through the firmward upgrades on the Elk M1G and XEP that were needed to handle the changes in Windows security.

Back