M1XEP will not connect after 18 hour Power outage

Dogman

We had a huge wind storm and knocked out power for about 18 hours.  Afterwards I can no longer connect to the M1XEP either directly via serial port or over the network.   I also have CQC and the driver cannot connect.  I have checked all the network cables and switches and swapped ports with no luck . In ELK RP when I run the find utility it finds it and I noticed the IP address had changed from what I set up years ago statically.  Tried the new IP same result.    Then ran the M1XEP utility and it also finds it but the next step in the utility is to ping it and the PING fails.  Also pinged it manually from a command prompt same thing .  Tried old IP and the new one that the Utility found all failed.  Forced a static reset of the IP using a shorting jumper on J2 per the manual instructions checked with the utility and the RP find function and it did reset the IP to the default but still no luck.  Have of course powered down multiple times and including router.  Lights on network connections all normal.   Thinking it must be time for a new XEP.    The rest of the M1 works normally .   If anyone has any other ideas please chime in.  one last thing is in the XEP utility it mentions the XEP is on a different subnet then my adapter but I checked and they are the same.  I never mess with any subnets either.

next would be to remove the network and straight using a crossover cable unless your PC NIC is auto negotiating.

I would disable any AV and firewall and try pinging the IP discovered or one forced using static.

Del :  Excellent suggestion .  Well I had to make a crossover cable because I can't find my old one but I have plenty of cable and connectors around so I built a new one and tested it on my Lan analyzer and it confirmed it was a valid crossover cable.  Then connected to the M1XEP as you suggested with AV and firewalls off and same condition XEP utility would still find it and so would RP but will not connect .   Pinging it in the XEP utility it failed as well as pinging via command line.   So I guess this means I get to help ELK products with their year end revenue.

Are you running Windows 10, what is the error you are getting? Can you telnet from your PC to the IP on 2601, 80, 2101)?

Nope still on windows 7 haven't upgraded yet due to the RP issues identified but now it seems they have solved that but either way still on Win 7 Pro.  Tried it on two different computers as well.    I am not great at Telnet so not sure I did it right but have successfully tel netted other devices  in the past.  when I tried all three ports got the same message "connect failed"....Could not open connection to the host  on port ......

If you can't connect to the serial port on the Elk, then the IP connection is never going to work since it just works through the serial port in the end. If you can't use a serial terminal and send commands and see reported changes, then the issue would seem to me to be pretty fundamental.

Have you tried the m1xep Search from within RP2? Mine has been known to magically change ports or IP address

Yes I did and it originally changed ports from what I had set statically to a different IP then I tried that one with no luck .  I also reset the xep to the default with J2 jumper and tried the default with no luck.  Ordered a new XEP today as I am sure somehow it failed.

Received new XEP today and it connected up right away and is back to doing it's job.  So back in business.  Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their suggestions.

I had a similar problem, but I believe that my XEP was hacked.
I tried switching the network address a countless number of times with no effect. I can connect to my ELK with a serial cable. I scanned my ports and found several, including one normally designated for FTP usage, but my insecure port has vanished.
There really ought to be a way to factory reset using jumpers on the board and I'm kind of pissed that there isn't  at this point. There is absolutely no reason not to since all these components are locked up in a metal cabinet anyway.

Back