MavRic's Cocoon - New thread

Finally your basement wiring area looks pretty good, but I suspect you will want to add a network cabinet or "relay rack" when all is said and done.
Overall, it looks like nice construction with thoughtful wiring--more than what can be said of my recent construction experience.

Hi CORT,

What do you mean by a 'relay rack'?

My HA server (currently only running ELKRP and SageTV, but soon will be running CQC and NuvoMusicPort as well) is a rackmount case and the Nuvo gear is rackmount as well. I plan to get a 19" rack at some point for this gear as well as a UPS.

Sorry, I should have emphasized it more....I'm looking for the CHEAP solution. ;)

I've had this discussion before in another thread, where indeed the top suggested labeler was the Rhino. But I just can't swing that purchase. So when I see someone who has labeled something, I ask in case they came up with some somewhat more ghetto-cheap way of doing it. Right now I'm just looking for an improvement on sharpie-on-jacket, just because the jacket is a poor writing surface, and the different colors make it difficult to see sometimes.

The next step up from that I think would be PC-printed labels "laminated" with some scotch tape. I just haven't tried that yet.

here's an idea. You figure out how much heatshrink you need for your labels, make a list of the labels you need, send it to me with the heatshrink, I'll run your labels through my Rhino 5000 and send them back to you...

CB

Sorry, I should have emphasized it more....I'm looking for the CHEAP solution. ;)

I've had this discussion before in another thread, where indeed the top suggested labeler was the Rhino. But I just can't swing that purchase. So when I see someone who has labeled something, I ask in case they came up with some somewhat more ghetto-cheap way of doing it. Right now I'm just looking for an improvement on sharpie-on-jacket, just because the jacket is a poor writing surface, and the different colors make it difficult to see sometimes.

The next step up from that I think would be PC-printed labels "laminated" with some scotch tape. I just haven't tried that yet.

Rob watch Ebay, I got my labeler Rhino with a good supply of heat shrink for like 50 bucks!

No time / motiviation to do a write up at the moment, but here are pics from the AprilAire install.

It appears the 8811 that i show in my pics is the new model and the previous red one with the RJ45 and pigtails will soon be phased out (this is based on info from TS at SetNet).

I never had my hands on the previous 881, but on this new one the breakout board at the top cannot be fastened to the unit. This is rather strange. Maybe it's intended as a temp or troubleshooting provision and they expect you to make your own serial cable connection...i may do this since by just messing with other stuff in the panel this connector has come loose several times.

AprilAire 8811 in the panel:
P3150022.jpg

AprilAire 8870 on the wall:
P32200162.jpg

P32200172.jpg

Same as above...will add text and explanation later. Below is the Nuvo install.

The Nuvo install has been a royal PITA. The NuvoNet was completely unstable and unpredictable. Their tech support has been very helpfull. It appeared i was getting interference from AC wiring and i was about ready to go pull new shielded cat5 when as a last test i took one of their components (the tuner) of the NuvoNet. Everything became stable and predicable. I never really doubted their gear was the cause because of their reputation and my newness to their gear coupled with possible LV and HV interference. After 2.5 days of trouble shooting I've finally narrow it down to the tuner. Hopefully they will replace it and the new one won't have any issues.

Pics:

Nuvo E6G and the faulty T2FXG in a temporary configuration in the wiring room (basement).
P3220026.jpg

Nubo MP MusicPort (lets you stream multiple streams of audio from your PC/server to the E6G). This one works like a charm.
P3220025.jpg

Nuvo E6G AllPort (hub for all speakers and NuvoNet connections):
Notice the really fat cable coming into this port, this carrier the 6 zones of audio.
P3220024.jpg

Backside of the AllPort:
P3220023.jpg

2 Gang LV Bracket in the board where the AllPort will be mounted:
P3220027.jpg

E6G keypads. Note that although the screen itself is a Decora size, the bracket associated with it will prevent the keypad from being mounting in a multigang box along with other stuff (unless you do some clever modding).
P3220020.jpg

P3220019.jpg

P3220021.jpg

P3220022.jpg

P3220016.jpg

P3220017.jpg

P3220018.jpg

Make sure to mount you keypads at a higher level than your lightswitches. The typical thermostate level should be fine to allow you to read the screens...i didn't do this and find myself kneeling to read the display. This is fixable ofcourse...but i HATE drywall and mud and painting. ;)

MavRic -
(1) What made you go with Aprilaire over HAI Omnistat2. I am leaning towards the Omnistat2 based primarily on reading the manual and the looks.
(2) What made you choose the Nuvo Essentia vs. the Concerto? I need to figure out what size mudrings to have the builder choose. I had been thinking concerto.

One HAI VS AprilAire I can't really answer...i don't think i did enough research before i bought....I don't know what the OMNIstat2 looks like, but the Aprilaire is abit too large to my liking and it's pricey as well. IIRC the states are $250 each or something like that and then you need the protocol adapter..

I believe i read the Aprilaire are bit more advanced...but my HVAC is a simple 2 zone force air heat/ac system...

For the Essentia vs the Concerto the Energy Start rating of the E6G was important to me since this thing will be connected and in stanby 22 hours of the day. There is also quite big cost difference between the Essentia and the Grand Concerto. One of the other key difference is the power...20 watts per channel on essentia vs 40 watts per channel on the Grand Concerto. I was concerend about this, but got the E6G anyway....the 20watts per channel is absolutely perfect for me. I can crank it all the way up and it's just to the point where i think it's too loud. 40 watts per channel woudl have been overkill and i would have lost the energy efficeincy. If you have very large rooms maybe the Grand Concerto is a better choice, but the E6G offers I think 2 zones of 'line out' which you can connect to Nuvo's any anybody else's 100 watt amps. So i think for most rooms the 20 watts will be absolutely fine, for the large rooms get the seperate amp and you're probably still cheaper than the Grand Concerto AND you still have the energy efficeincy since the external amos are controller by the E6G.

The last difference is the keypads. The E6G is the 'newer' essentia and has the same style keypads as the Grand Concerto. The Grand Concerto's keypads are 2 gangs wide though whereas the E6G's are single gang. For my purpose they are just big enough.

Altogether I think Nuvo made a big jump in the essentia line when they released the E6G. Previously the older essentia appear to have been much more limited compared to the Grand Concerto and it had older keypads that were not nearly this slick, but from what i can tell now the Essentia can almost do anything the Grand Concerto does...I'm sure there's few subtle difference that i'm not aware off.

I think i made the right choice with the E6G. Check the price difference and add in one or 2 of their amps if you think you need them for large rooms. Then see if you can justify the price difference with the extra features.. for a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen or anything like that i'm positive the 20 wats per channel is perfectly adequate unless you plan to really have a full blast rap party of something.

MavRic-

I'm setting up an Aprilaire system as well. I got the new 8811 as shown in your picture, but the wiring diagram that it came with is for the old red 8811. I'm convinced that the wiring should be different. I have the 8870 thermostat and it works fine, but the 8811 isn't responding on the PC hyperterminal. The TX lights up but the RX does not. And I don't get a response when I send the "SN?" command.

Question: Is there a reason why you are using two cat5 wires to connect from the 8811 to the distribution panel? The old 8811 diagram only uses one.

Question: Is there a reason why you are using two cat5 wires to connect from the 8811 to the distribution panel? The old 8811 diagram only uses one.

I don't use the distribution panel, each of the 2 cat5's goes direclty to the T-stats and they are fully 'parallel'. For only 2 stats i didnt see the need for the distro panel. In fact, it seems you can just parallel the T-stat wiring, so it seems you can hook as many as you want directly to the 8811 or maybe via some cheap intermediate terminal strip.

What pisses me off that the breakout thing that takes the DB9 connector on the 8811 and turns it onto wire terminal has no apparent way to be secured in place. When i am messing with other things in the panel it sometimes comes loose and then in the evening i wonder why my T-state and blinking 'No Comm'.

Secure it temporarily with a thick rubber band, surrounding the module and the breakout board together.

I didn't pre-wire for any cat5/6RG6/RG59 etc. Instead i had a 3/4 conduit with a 1 gang LV bracket (mudring) put at all locations where i thought i may want something at some point.

I've read this post several times (excellent btw!!) and have been curious about the statement above. Did they cover the LV bracket with drywall (so you could cutout later) or did they cut it out and place an empty panel over it? I'm guessing they put an empty faceplate over it...

We're about to start building (next month) and I'm trying to figure out the conduit/LV prewire that I want. There are a lot of places where I want to pull wire for future expansion but don't want to terminate at the time of construction.

MavRic

Thanks for the detailed write-ups. I was about to pull the trigger on a Russound system but the pictures of your E6G are making me reconsider. Those keypads look very nice!

What gauge speaker wire did you end up using with the AllPort? I wonder if it will accept 12awg...the manual says 16awg.

MavRic

Thanks for the detailed write-ups. I was about to pull the trigger on a Russound system but the pictures of your E6G are making me reconsider. Those keypads look very nice!

What gauge speaker wire did you end up using with the AllPort? I wonder if it will accept 12awg...the manual says 16awg.

Never mind...I see you used 16/4.

Back