Metal door

bjl

I am using elk 6023 wireless door sensors. Of course my garage door is metal with metal frame. The door is about 15' from the two way reciever. Does anyone know if this will work even though directions say do not use on metal.

It'll be a pita, but if i had to go wired plunger I can. I didn't get the sensor yet, so suggestions please. 75% of the house is complete with elk wireless and then I seen the honeywell 5800 series. I really liked them but I hate to get get another reciever for just a couple sensors.

The metal door and frame are likely to interfere with the signal from any recessed wireless contact, whether it is the Elk 6023 or a Honeywell. 

I think you'd have better luck with a surface mount wireless contact, like the Elk 6020.  Although the metal frame may still affect the signal, it will have a better chance for reaching a nearby receiver since it won't be completely surrounded by metal.

A wired contact would be your best bet.  It doesn't have to be a plunger type.  There are wired, recessed magnetic contacts that can be used in metal doors.

Try it and see. I think that's the only way that you are really going to find out if it will or won't work. :)  Report back and let us know!

I do agree that a non-recessed contact is going to be a better route, but that doesn't necessarily mean the former won't work.

Here have always utilized wire contacts recessed or non-recessed in metal doors.  Last set up put the magnets under the metal door hard wood threshold and they worked just fine.  That said just looked a post CC wireless alarm system with wireless contacts on metal doors.  The contacts were not aesthetically pleasing to the eye.  Personally for my garage door used two wired contacts per two doors wired to the GDO area where I had one cat5e cable going to each GDO. 

Fifteen feet isn't very far for a wireless signal to travel. I'd try the surface mount contact as RAL suggests. I'd be surprised if it didn't work over such a short range.

Definitely, will do. IM kinda jumping around on finish work to move in next week. It's been a 4yr build. 6800 sq ft ain't nothing nice to do by yourself! I'll probably Finish it up over the weekend.

It'll most likely work. Issue will be the magnet installation within the door, you will need to get a 3/4 bushed magnet, but the steel portion of the door is very small in comparison, generally a small lip that gets attached to the rough framing.

I don't see a huge issue. I believe Elk is stating the reverse, if someone were to mount the transmitter within the steel door buck or use the provided magnet without a bushing.

I painted my front door Rhubarb. It is a very strong complex colour but the door only makes up a very small area of the elevation of the house and it does draw you towards the front door as opposed to trying to camouflaging the front door

Back