Metering Syste,

Efried

Hello, I'm drafting a metering system for flats in multi storey houses. The requirements are such that the installations should be left alone for one year and more. The wiring cost is an issue but since I doubt that BT or WLAN are reliable enough (having some cheap Chinese access points), may be the only opportunity.
So my system using WCs on CAT5 goes as follows:
a one WC8 is reading meters over S0-interface, sensors and storing data on the server
b there is only one cable connecting - using passive PoE delivering 9 V or 12 V if the meters need having 12V
c the server side scripts may be characteristic to the flat number and act like an MAC address
d remote access to the  WC will be possible if the switches are public
e a minimonster.ru will act as watchdog pinging the WC and restarting it in case

now my questions:

ad a)  any experience reading S0?
Is there a more professional way using temperature and humidity sensors via 1-wire? We should have a official WC-Wiki desrcibing the needed termination at least.  I do not trust much I2C or SPI, since the PLC in teh WC is not capable of handling every default.

ad a ) I have to test the  spare-pairs method any experiences?

ad c) is there a way having no need to have different setting, if the WC reads the unique code from a SPI-chip and calls the specific script for uploading data to the server?

ad d) Not to make problems with firewalls WC could load new firmware and code from a server?

ad e) an internal restart option when sensor fail will be possible with the new firmware? Any experience

summarising, may be it makes sense using the board solely and writing a new private firmware to operate it as needed. Of course the upfront cost is larger, so I would appreciate having your ideas.

many thanks in advance

best regards

spare

Back