Mini Air Watch

domingo3

Has anyone heard of this system? I haven't been able to find any reviews except for ones on a website that sells the product. Of course they're all positive. This is the product I am considering:

http://www.smarthome.com/76002.HTML

I'm curious what the quality would be. Also, I have an 802.11g wireless network and am a little worried about interference. Does anybody have any experience they can relate about two 2.4 GHz systems co-existing?

From what I've been able to read, a wired system would be better. Having to move every couple of years deters me from going the wired route. I could possibly change my mind if it was really just an awful idea to go wireless.

I was considering using a computer video capture card to go along with the system. Since the system I was looking at just has one video output, would that render any kind of motion sensing software useless? Are there any other wireless systems that would allow 4 simultaneous video outputs from the receiver, or would I have to go with a wired system for that kind of functionality?

I've been digging around the web for a while thinking about this, but haven't been able to find any impartial opinions. Hopefully you can help.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian, welcome to CocoonTech!

The LUX rating of those cameras are really bad, as bad as the X10 brand cameras (1.5 Lux/F1.5). This means they won't work well in darkness.

If you want to record video based on motion in the video feed, then 2.4Ghz is not the way to go, since even a microwave can cause enough static to trigger the motion algorithm.

I tried some 2.4ghz remote audio setups a few years back and found it to be unusable even at short ranges (20 feet or so with limited obstructions), I wouldn't attempt it with video based on what I've seen.

Then again, based on this and other experiences, I always go for hard wiring first.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I was afraid that the wireless would be junk, which it sounds like that's what you're saying.

My wife would never approve of wires running around the house, and I'm a little hesitant about putting holes in a house I'm going to leave in a couple of years.

If I forego the motion sensing idea, would the wireless system work, or is it just a bad idea all around?

I was planning on having one camera pointed at the front door, through a window. The door has a light next to it that is always on at night.

I was also planning on using one for a baby monitor. I don't know enough about babies or camera lux ratings to know if 1.5 lux and a sleeping baby are compatible.

Being able to access the video feed from the web might be a neat thing to play with, but it's not necessary. What I'm initially looking for is something that will record if people come on to my property, and also allow me to monitor in and around the house - especially places you might find a baby.

Do you have any suggestions? Should I just go for the wired system and plan to spackle and paint when I leave?

Thanks again,

Brian

Back