Modifying an Insteon ControLinc

upstatemike

I need an Insteon dry contact transmitter and am thinking of modifying an Insteon ControLinc to make one. Has anybody opened one of these up yet? I'm wondering how hard it would be to extend the button contact points outside of the controLinc case?

I love the idea!

The three things I want most for Insteon are:

RF transmitter,
Generic relays (low voltage - etc)
and contact open/close sensors

If a controlinc could be modified to be five momentary sensors this could be a wonderful thing.

Ooh! Maybe a use for mine after all! It came with the Insteon kit, but I have no use for it. I was going to sell it, but this seems like a cool hack!

Since it is made for a local button, the signal may not like being stretched too far.

TonyNo said:
Ooh! Maybe a use for mine after all! It came with the Insteon kit, but I have no use for it. I was going to sell it, but this seems like a cool hack!

Since it is made for a local button, the signal may not like being stretched too far.
I would bring them just outside the case and attach them to contacts on little reed relays. I would then have the "long loop" to the actual contact operate the coils on the reed relays. This should avoid any problems from very long wires attached directly to the buttons.

Paul_PDX said:
I love the idea!

The three things I want most for Insteon are:

RF transmitter,
Generic relays (low voltage - etc)
and contact open/close sensors

If a controlinc could be modified to be five momentary sensors this could be a wonderful thing.
For generic relays I just use a v2 appliance module to switch a 12V wall wart attached to a 12V relay.

That's a great idea! If you are going to do this, please document this for CT, thanks!

Looks like holding an On button down generates a Start Manual Change. Releasing it generates a Stop Manual Change. Looks OK so far!

I don't want to put a button into link mode from a sustained contact closure so I might need a "one shot" circuit on the relay coils. If the buttons use a common ground maybe the "long loop" interface could be solid state. Maybe a 555 per button where ON buttons get a 1 second pulse on MAKE and OFF buttons get a 1 second pulse on BREAK.

Back