Modifying light switches with UPStart

EllisConCo

I am still in the process of getting my sytem (Lumina controller with HI-FI2 and two Omnistats) set up.  I am waiting for my serial to USB cable in order to utilize UPStart.  I understand that UPStart will allow the change of a switch to a dimmer and vice-versa.  My question is this:
If a switch is modified to a dimmer, is this dimmer function only controllable through software (i.e. PCAccess, Snaplink, Haiku) or does it also allow the switch to be operated manually as a dimmer?

I did notice that when the devices for my system were installed, the switches (non-dimming) still had dimmer stamped onto the housing.  If the entire switch is changed to dimmer (logically and manually) that would explain why.

As a side note, I put in about 20 HAI switches during the installation of the system.  I love them so much I am going to end up replacing darn near every switch!

The dimmer operates manually as a dimmer at the switch in addition to software.

The default behavior is usually to:
single tap the upper rocker to come on to some predetermined level, double tap to come on instantly to the brightest level, hold the upper rocker to brighten the light and release to stop the dimming change.
single tap the lower rocker to fade off, double tap to go off instantly, hold the lower rocker to dim the light and release to stop the dimming change.

Depending on the model of the switch this is performed directly inside the firmware of the switch, or through links the switch sends out but also responds to as it is transmitting.

Back