MONITOR 15" LCD PLANAR TOUCHSCREEN Wall Mount

mcascio said:
In any professional install, I would separate the server from the display system. A separate cat5 is run for serial connection to each touch screen. Then a DB9 connector is made to convert to a serial connection. Another cat5 cable was run to deliver the VGA signal over VGA baluns by Muxlabs. Make sure to set your monitor refresh to 60 kHz.
Am I understanding this right ... one shielded cat5 for the serial connection and one for the video connection? are there any limits to how far you can run those cat5 cables? I'm assuming you would convert both of these ports from the original connection (probably DB9 and HD15 right?) to cat5 and then back again on the other end

Inspired by Mario, I attempted to flush mount my Planar 15" Touch Screen. Unfortunately, it was too wide to go between the studs in the location I needed it. Here is a link to my comprise, a semi-flush wall mount. It is mostly a pictorial how-to and not up to the level of a BSR how-to. :lol:

I am having a metal bezel made to reduce the thickness but it will be a while.

The wood frame, pictured in the how-to, just hangs on the top 1X2 used for the top screen mount and is secured with velcro.

Opie,

That look nice, very well done.

I really like the "NASA" look with the HVAC tape, gave me a good laugh :lol:

Eric

They both have the same Planar part number, so I suspect they are the same thing. I realize there is some minor differences in the specs, so either planar improved the model along the way and the better specs are from the newer model, or Geeks simply got the information wrong.

The more expensive model is refurbished while the cheaper model is used and simply pulled from a working environment. Given this I personally would probably go with the more expensive model.

sic0048 said:
The more expensive model is refurbished while the cheaper model is used and simply pulled from a working environment. Given this I personally would probably go with the more expensive model.
What is your reasoning for going with the refurbished model over the other model. Is it that a refurbished model is properly tested and not under as much use.

Thanks for the info. I was pulling my hair out on this one. I was already to by the refurb and then I saw the other one and it threw me for a loop.

Yes, I think a refurbished model should have been looked over and warn/damaged parts replaced. A unit that was pulled from somewhere has not had anyone look over it. It might be on its last legs for all we know. Hopefully a refurbished model will be more dependable and last longer. That isn't gauaranteed to be the case, but for an extra $16, I think the refurbished model is a better choice/cheap insurance.

I actually think I will pick one up myself. They have had the cheaper, used model for quite some time and I've thought about getting it before. Now that they have the refurbished model for just slightly more, I think that will be enough for me to actually pull the trigger.

I am going to be building a new computer to act as a CQC server by the end of the year. So this will give me a real use for touchscreens (to act as an interface with CQC).

It does 1024 x 768 resolution, so the screen shouldn't be a factor in image quality, SD or otherwise. It is the same resolution that you'll find on most 42" plasma TVs.

Just an update on how everything went. AWESOME. I now have a TV/Touchscreen computer in my kitchen that is mounted under the cabinet. The wife loves it. We can have TV on and with the click of the remote go to the TV and check the calendar (using google calendar), goto recipes, check email, weather just by touching the screen. I also have it linked up to my HTPC and can watch recorded shows while the kids are watching their shows. Besides my HTPC server this is the best project I have done so far. I will post screen shots if anyone wants.

Back