monitoring individual water lines

What are you using to monitor water pressue? Every pressure sensor I've found is pretty expensive, about $250+. Since I want to measure pressure in several places, that gets real expensive real fast.

Get a square-d well pressure controller. They cost about $20 and come in various ranges, I use a 20-40 (on at 20 psi, off at 40 psi). I have one connected to my M1 to monitor my well pressure tanks. If they drop below 20 psi, the relay contact closes which means something bad has happened, like a pump failure.

I never thought about using that kind of pressure switch to monitor pressure. I'm on a water well, so I have one the controls my pump cycle. Never even though about using one as some type of monitoring device with dry contacts.

In my case, I want to monitor pressure throughout the range, not just alert on low/high pressure (although I want to do that, too).

Ira

When you guys buy stuff like flow switches, pressure sensors, etc. for your potable water systems, how much attention do you give to whether or not it is "approved for potable water", "approved for sanitary use", "meet 3A standards for applications in food, dairy, beverage and pharmaceutical processing, liquid level control, and sanitary pipelines", and stuff like that?

The sensor mustangcoupe pointed to says it is "constructed of FDA approved wetted materials", but doesn't say it is 3A compliant or approved for potable water. Then again, about the only thing I check for in plumbing fittings is to make sure fittings/valves/etc. are lead free if possible.

Does common wisdom say that as long as the wetted materials are some type of plastic, stainless steel, teflon, or similar material, it is okay to use in a potable water system?

My guess is that part of the "3A rating" is that the device cannot contain any nooks and crannies where things can get stuck and deteriorate over time. The 3A rated pressure sensors I've seen have some special way of connecting into a system.

In reality, when I look at my well, pump, pressure switch, check valve, pressure tank, valves, pressure gauges, etc., all the way down the line, I can't see where anything that is stainless/plastic/teflon and the components are sealed could be any worse.

Ira

I put two water meters in line with my water. I am using a HB boards counter/HS/MCSXapOneWIre to measure flow. I also installed one analogue water pressure guage.

main1a.jpg

sprinkler1.jpg

water1fc.jpg

It would be nice to be able to monitor water pressure electronically and inexpensively versus my current visual.

Back