Moonshine Switch / Domobec's New Product Line !!UPDATED!!

loowee

Hello Cocooners !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\ UPDATE !! // <------------------------------

Here's a new video which shows the moonshine switch installed and "in action" !
Please note that we are doing our best effort to get the unit ready and shipped to all pre-orders ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVQ6bpPONT0

To be continued...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the last year, Domobec's team has been concentrating it's efforts on a new generation of control products and we now feel it is time to announce the successful development of our latest prototype "codename : Moonshine" which should be available for shipment by the third quarter of 2009.

YOUTUBE VIDEO : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNBVvJey87A

The following specifications are based on our RC2 prototype and we are planning on reaching RC4 before shipping any units.

These units work on a Windows Mobile Embedded system and communicate via 2.4GHZ wireless network to a central server hosting Homeseer HSTouch server. As you already probably figured, we are using a HSTouch client which has proven it's flexibility and it's expandability to most of us HS touchscreen users.

Altough we are already working on a new version of the product with independant interface and local load control, this low cost final version should stay a good alternative to homeseer users using HS Server plugin. The client will also therefore be 100% customizable.

moonshine_flyer.jpg

Please feel free to give us your comments and general opinions on this upcoming product trough this forum or via our website. We feel that the more feedbacks and insights we have from Home Automation Experts, the better the final unit can be !!

Thanks to all and long live "La Domotique" ! ( Yup, french folks from Quebec, Canada )

So this is a Windows Mobile based touch screen product which fits in a regular 1gang box (and thus able to replace an old wallswitch)?

Man, I hope your product is substantially better than your marketing campaign! You are 'advertising' :lol: to a very educated group of individuals here that need a LOT more details than what you have provided here and shown on that You Tube link.....

It does look like a potentially cool product though.

That is by far the worst advertising I have ever seen. Not a single legible shot of what's on the "screen", no explanation of the product or what it does and no specifications. I'd call this thread SPAM and lock it.

CB

I'm close to doing that, I figured I would give them a chance t to explain what this is all about, if they don't respond soon, I'll close it.

Hello guys !

Dan, you are exactly right, this replaces a standard wall switch ( It can also be mounted anywhere there is 120V ).

Sorry for the lack of infos, this is a LCD switch based on windows CE working along with HStouch client. This switch will fit in a standard 1-gang box and runs on 120V.

No local load control on this version, therefore requiring HS Touch server running on the host system.

- Resolution should be around 145x300 ( on current LCD display )
- Unit will fit in a standard single gang junction box so 2-gang will fit 2 units and so on
- Server connection is done trough standard Wireless 2.4GHZ networking
- Final RC should be able to use any standard DECORA shape faceplate.

We feel the available control products out there are way too limited and nothing beats 32 bit color display for esthetics and customization !
Basically, this unit can be anything from a light switch to a thermostat or a weather station. Anything HStouch can do !

Future versions will integrate an independant interface ( not requiring homeseer ) and also load control.

Sorry again for the limited informations, feel free to ask any questions !! We will respond to it as quickly as possible. ( Please note we are located on the -5 Eastern time zone )
We will be working out a new video soon with the final included interface.

Thank you !

What kind of viewing angle does the LCD have? I'm concerned that the LCD won't look good without bending over.

What kind of viewing angle does the LCD have? I'm concerned that the LCD won't look good without bending over.

You can compare the expected final release to use a screen color depth and LCD view angle quality of a standard touchscreen screen such as ELO, lillyput, etc.
The view angle on this is much better than it looks on the video, the camera used for the youtube movie does not demonstrate the clarity of the contrast well.

We all know what filming screen does, I guess buying a better quality video camera will be in our "tobuy" list !

loowee,

Très bonne idée. Je vous souhaite le meilleur des succès avec ce nouveau produit innovateur!

Lorsqu'il seront capable de se connecter à une charge directe, n'oublier pas d'avoir un genre de bypass au cas ou.

Encore, bonne chance.

Roger

loowee,

Très bonne idée. Je vous souhaite le meilleur des succès avec ce nouveau produit innovateur!

Lorsqu'il seront capable de se connecter à une charge directe, n'oublier pas d'avoir un genre de bypass au cas ou.

Encore, bonne chance.

Roger

Merci beaucoup Roger !
C'est rassurant de voir que nous ne sommes pas les seuls Québecois à etre à l'affut des nouvelles technologies ! :lol:

Bone journée !

Sorry, but "pre-order now" doesn't match well with " estimated retail price" and "Resolution should be around 145x300" and "Final RC should be able to use any standard DECORA shape faceplate." Good luck with your product, please let us know when the product specs are defined.

I would consider purchasing about eight to twelve of these if the following were met at a reasonable price point:
  • I hope I can still control the switch's lighting load that this device replaced period with no dependence on some application having to be running (HSTouch). If not, I would have to leave the switch's in place and the device would have to be powered through low voltage cable (i.e. PoE) with the ability to run the cables back to a demarc power source, otherwise these aren't retrofit friendly. This may not be possible given the device's power requirements. Maybe even could consider hardwired controller architecture through the same cables rather than WiFi for reliability. Some people already experience WiFi congestion where they live.
  • Software to interface with these are community-driven open source along with open protocols so I could use it with other software controllers, such as CQC. Wouldn't think this would be that hard of a decision since I am sure your profit driver is hardware and not software. F/OSS model would open up for faster adoption and not dependent on proprietary systems.
  • When you say WiFi, I assume 802.11g. 802.11b would be a deal-breaker. I don't want to sacrifice my wireless speed for something like this.
  • If powered through low voltage cable, to have the option to mount the horizontally with screen rotation for easier reading of track info in a whole house audio situation.

I would love the ability to run these with whole house audio and use these as the controller, along with controlling other systems -- HVAC, lighting, security, wife.

Also agree with with WayneW. Need more concrete specs. Congrats on your new venture and product

P.S.
Glad to see that you like Peace Orchestra too. Sound and device remind me of the Multi-Touch Interaction System from a few years ago.

Sorry, but "pre-order now" doesn't match well with " estimated retail price" and "Resolution should be around 145x300" and "Final RC should be able to use any standard DECORA shape faceplate." Good luck with your product, please let us know when the product specs are defined.

you are right, "Pre-Order yours now" should actually be "Reserve yours now". It is more about the fact that there will be limited units on the first months until we work out the mass-production issue. Note that we already have staff concentrating their efforts on this case. Thx !

Back