Moonshine Switch / Domobec's New Product Line !!UPDATED!!

I'd like to see some instant on/off examples. In the video, it seems that response is very slow. But they are using a ramping method for the lights, and I cannot tell if the switch is slow to respond, or if the light ramping is just slow at first. Don't get me wrong, I think this is one cool device and I am looking forward to hearing more!

You are right Dan, videos are not in sync since we only used one camera for both shots...
Response speed is very quick, as quick as Hstouch can be on a desktop PC.
We do use ramping on this video, which can make the unit seem slow but I assure you it is instant, as long as your server is also responsive ;)

More to come soon !

Hi there.

Any word of product certification from the UL, CSA, or equivalent? While this is a neat concept, I think you're going to severely limit your audience if you don't have it evaluated by a testing lab.

Should my insurance company find out I have a non-UL listed switch that started the fire in my home, I'm pretty sure they'd ixnay on the ashcay... if you catch my drift.

Hi there.

Any word of product certification from the UL, CSA, or equivalent? While this is a neat concept, I think you're going to severely limit your audience if you don't have it evaluated by a testing lab.

Should my insurance company find out I have a non-UL listed switch that started the fire in my home, I'm pretty sure they'd ixnay on the ashcay... if you catch my drift.

I'd love to see one of these that has an actual dimmer built in that is also a UPB device.

Hi there.

I'd love to see one of these that has an actual dimmer built in that is also a UPB device.

Second that! Space/reliability would be an engineering concern especially with heat sink requirements though. I'd be perfectly happy with a UPB controller version having no local load capabilities.

I'm curious, how did you decide on the "Moonshine" name? In the United States, Moonshine usually refers to alcohol (see this Wiki entry for more details).

Corn squeezin's for the wall!

Hi there.

Second that! Space/reliability would be an engineering concern especially with heat sink requirements though. I'd be perfectly happy with a UPB controller version having no local load capabilities.

Can I third that?

.. In the United States, Moonshine usually refers to alcohol (see this Wiki entry for more details).
It's the same term used by most Canadians. However, the population of Quebec is predominately French-speaking and, as with all trans-cultural interpretations, the slang definition of "moonshine" may not be well known.

FWIW, loowee, your product's name has an alternative meaning that is equivalent to Baboche. For non-French-speaking Cocooners, baboche is pronounced ba-bosh and means homemade booze.

As far as I know, moonbeam and moonray do not have alternate, slang definitions.

LoL !
the name "moonshine" actually came from the look of the switch in the dark, which reminded us of the moon shining on a dark night :)
nothing related to booze, baboche ( this one is neither a term used in QC, maybe France tought ), Im happy it brings this questionning tough, I will never see our "baby" the same way ! Haha !

FYI, we already have plans for another inovative product after this one sees the shelves, it's codename will be "BREWSKY" LOL !!
Seriously, the real project name is Sunray... ;)

Sacarino, Lab testing is of course a huge logistic matter and we are keeping this one a priority ...

thx guys !

baboche ... this one is neither a term used in QC, maybe France..
My buddy disagrees with you. He was born in Sorel and has family in Rimouski ... doesn't get more pure laine and de souche than that.

We may disagree about baboche but there's no question that moonshine is a well-known term for illegal liquor. A great deal of effort is normally invested in a product's marketing to avoid misperceptions or misinterpretations. For example, selling a car called Nova in a Spanish-speaking country would be ill-advised.

I have to admit that when I saw the title of the thread for the very first time I thought it was some sort of joke. Depending on your target market and marketing plans you may want to consider using Moonshine as your code name and coming up with another production/marketing name. I'm sure people will appreciate when they look into it but first impressions may put people off or actually even prevent them from looking at it in the first place.

I do think its a cool product though but yet I'm not entirely sure how its supposed to work. There are many contradictions from the materials and videos. I assume the latest ones are the most accurate. It would be great if you could clear up the following:

• I'm assuming it is WinCE and not Windows Mobile. If that's the case how will it support Flash as you mentioned earlier?
  • I've seen mentioned 2.4Ghz wireless mostly but also 'WiFi' and just 'HSTouch'. How is this switch going to really work? Is the 2.4Ghz WiFi or Zigbee? How will it communicate with HSTouch - will there be some sort of receiver for it? And if so, why wouldn't it work with any HA app and not just HSTouch? So - how do the screens get loaded on the switch and how does it interact with an HA app? These things are critical and I don't know how anyone could preorder this without knowing all the data behind it.
  • People have asked for a UPB version and the 'flyer' in the first post lists x10, Insteon and ZWave. What is the link between this switch and those technologies or are you just advertising that stuff as part of your store?
  • And last, I don't know if it was by design or not but your logo is eerily similar to Insteon and I'm not sure if that's going to help you in your marketing, or if it is really different enough to keep Smartlabs from coming after you (especially if you start having some success)
But looks like a product with great potential - good luck!

... your logo is eerily similar to Insteon ...
Steve,
You have a flair for understatement. ;)

Regarding the product's name, may I suggest that loowee consider submissions from Cocooners.

Attachments

• logos.png
    logos.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 3
... your logo is eerily similar to Insteon ...
Steve,
You have a flair for understatement. ;)

I'm not sure that Smarthome has much of a leg to stand on there... it seems like the power button symbol is part of an IEC standard. Specifically, the symbol is IEC 5009 - To identify the switch or switch position by means of which part the equipment is switched on in order to bring it into the standby-by condition.

Check out this link.

Back