More INSTEON quality control issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have installed over 50 switches of insteons. ONE failure in all over 3 years now. Maybe it is the installers that are at fault? Or just propaganda.

I have installed over 50 switches of insteons. ONE failure in all over 3 years now. Maybe it is the installers that are at fault? Or just propaganda.

Not when SH recalls them and says they had the wrong type of diode or bad tact switches. That is SH. Also what about all of the plug in modules they recalled over the years (appliancelinc recall for safety reason) and all the dead PLM's.

I was one of the users that had an ApplianceLinc catch on fire and it was controlling a normal load. One that Smarthome said was an OK load to use.
I even know what part failed and their fix was cut it out. Not replace it with a more rugged part. It only protected the relay contacts. Guess it wasn't that important anyway. The new I2 ApplianceLincs have the part across the relay again. Just a much more rugged set of components.

I have also had paddle switch tact switches fail.
Two where brand new in the box spares. Flaky when unpacked. I don't think an Installer error caused that to happen.

I also had a pair of the SocketLinc Dimmer modules. Maybe you heard of them. They didn't even follow the most basic Insteon Feature of "remembers it state with power restoration". They always went full ON. Folks where coming home to all SocketLincs On or in the middle of the night. Boom all On. Smartlabs came up with a workaround but it was a band-aid that was not acceptable to many. Also had a use with bulb up restriction. I sent mine back on the 30 day unhappy guaranty.

I have also had the newer I2 ApplianceLincs work worse with two Access Point in the system. Than one Access Point and a passive phase coupler. To keep things honest here. Mr. Steve Lee of Smartlabs did offer to assist me with the problem. I chose to reuse my I1 modules and put the I2s in a storage box.

So no Propaganda here.

I was one of the users that had an ApplianceLinc catch on fire and it was controlling a normal load. One that Smarthome said was an OK load to use.
I even know what part failed and their fix was cut it out. Not replace it with a more rugged part. It only protected the relay contacts. Guess it wasn't that important anyway. The new I2 ApplianceLincs have the part across the relay again. Just a much more rugged set of components.

I have also had paddle switch tact switches fail.
Two where brand new in the box spares. Flaky when unpacked. I don't think an Installer error caused that to happen.

I also had a pair of the SocketLinc Dimmer modules. Maybe you heard of them. They didn't even follow the most basic Insteon Feature of "remembers it state with power restoration". They always went full ON. Folks where coming home to all SocketLincs On or in the middle of the night. Boom all On. Smartlabs came up with a workaround but it was a band-aid that was not acceptable to many. Also had a use with bulb up restriction. I sent mine back on the 30 day unhappy guaranty.

I have also had the newer I2 ApplianceLincs work worse with two Access Point in the system. Than one Access Point and a passive phase coupler. To keep things honest here. Mr. Steve Lee of Smartlabs did offer to assist me with the problem. I chose to reuse my I1 modules and put the I2s in a storage box.

So no Propaganda here.
Do you still use insteon.?

I had tons of problems with switchlinc microswitches in the paddles. I have had to return every single one of them over the last couple years. The new ones have been working perfectly, so far. If it weren't for isy and the ability to simply replace one switch with another and have it re-write all of the lincs to the switch it would be an absolute nightmare. Even so, physically replacing a switch is a time consuming pain, especially when you have triple and quadruple boxes. ISY is the Insteon savior! Without it, I would for sure have ripped all of the defective switchlincs out, R and R'd them with Smarthome, and put them for sale on ebay as brand new units.

Yes I still use Insteon. With some X10 as not all things I want to use come in Insteon enabled products yet.
I know some other early users decided to go with other protocols.
I may have also; but as an early adopter including a developers group membership. I have too much into getting things working to switch now.
The Universal Devices ISY99i allowed me to do what I needed easily and their support is great.
I did Beta for the original HouseLinc but was not impressed with HouseLinc 2.
Also Smarthome did finally send switch users; with tact switch problems; an email extending the normal warranty for button problems.

I am glad your switches where fine and not from the Smarthome admitted problem ones. Nothing can hurt a profit margin like warranty failure return calls if you are a professional installer or just exchanging switches for friends; neighbors and your own home.

You sound very educated with the insteon products. Can I use an MX980 remote with the insteon products? If so, how? What can the ISY do for me that would make it worthwhile getting? I would like to control the lights with the MX980 remote control. Thanks for your feedback.

As for my comments, it is very hard to believe someone has problems with something when I have never had any with all the things I have used. I guess I was just a lucky person.

I don't have too much information on IR controls and Insteon, but I did remember in the ISY forums a thread on the MX980.
http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=2482

Smarthome also has an IR receiver module:
http://www.smarthome.com/2411R/IRLinc-Rece...onverter/p.aspx

Simplehonenet also has an IR receiver for Insteon.
http://www.simplehomenet.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9357345391

I am sure you are not the only Insteon User that has had all good devices. Just some hardware revisions and firmware versions had problems.

If you have more than about 10 devices the ISY is a tremendous asset. It so massively assists in the linking process I can't even tell you. You simply drag and drop things into scenes and it writes all of the links. If you have a switch go bad, just install a new one in its place and click on "replace with" menu and all of the links from the old switch are written to the new switch as well as every other device in your house that was linked to it.

It lets you write all kinds of programs to automate your house.

If you get the ir version then it will respond to ir commands which can trigger any event you like.

It lists out all of your links and scenes in simple lists.

They have great customer service and will even log into your isy remotely and help you solve problems. They also are constantly working to make the isy better with firmware upgrades. It seems like the hardware has huge untapped potential that they keep working on.

I could go on and on.

Seriously, I think smarthome shouldn't even let you buy an insteon product unless you have an isy.

What kinds of devices do you guys have that you use the isy for? Just curious. I am learning and would just love some input from the experts like you.

Going and looking at the isy and simplehomenet and their devices and all the things out there gets to be a little overwhelming. How did you guys know so much about the isy before you bought it? I know some things but it does not seem I know much or enough like you guys do. I hope you can enlighten me if you don't mind. Thanks. ;)

Maybe the quality has gotten better. I was one of the first to jump onto the Insteon bandwagon back in the summer of 2005. Had over 80 devices at the high point. But then the failures started. I was replacing a couple of devices a week. And this was before the ISY or Houselinc. Thank goodness for Powerhome.

Dumped Insteon in spring 2007 for Lutron and have not looked back.

Lutron is more expensive (significantly) however in the long run not much more expensive when you take into account the much lower device failure, need to constantly change devices because of bugs and compatability issues (I2 devices only work well of I2 features if the majority of your network is I2) etc.

I would guess that someone installing a Lutron system spends a lot less time with problems caused if they add a computer or TV etc that produces noise on the line where as with Insteon you may have to troubleshoot and add filters.

I could not afford to go to Lutron after I wasted $4k on Insteon and had to toss it as it was completely unreliable. I went with UPB in August 08 and have not had a single device fail where with Insteon I was replacing device almost weekly (if not more than one in a week sometimes) much like Herdfan.

You get what you pay for and Insteon is what Insteon is. For some it is a horror and a money pit. For others it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back