More INSTEON quality control issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike B in Sales told me that SH is really interested in professional installers and contractors not in the DIY market. To your knowledge is that a true statement?

That is laughable. They are no where near being ready for the professional installers market. Just because they got featured in a magazine as part of a Life/Ware install does not mean they are ready for the big time.

Professionals have a different mindset than the DIY'er. About the second or third trip (unpaid) to go replace a device for a customer would be the last install they did with that company.

Herdfan,

I am an electrical contractor with a degree in electronics and I have specialized in Home Automation. I have done large home and installs with just this type of product for 13 years now and for most of it I have been very happy as will as the client with the out come. So at least there is one professional installer that has had a success story with Smarthomepro.
I have nothing against integrators that are installing 100K lighting systems but for most of my career I chose a blue-collar approach to my installs and it worked out very well for me.
I would agree with you about the second and third unpaid trip, fortunately that has not been my experience. I have multiple 10,000 sqft plus install that have never had a product go bad yet so I have continued to be a believer.
This does not mean that I have not had any failures but they have been few and far between.

SteveL

With regards to the question of what products are i1 or i2. to the best of my knowledge all RF products are i2, Access Points, Keypad Relays, 600W dimmers, all new products that have just come out are i2. I think as of a month ago 1000W switches and maybe Keypad dimmers shipped i2.

So currently...

i2 Devices
Motion Sensor - always has been
TriggerLinc (not released) - always has been
RemoteLinc - switchover date/version unknown, but before 8/2008, firmware 7C
Access Points - always?
PLM - switchover date/version unknown, at least by 1/2009, firmware 63
KeypadLinc Relays - switchover date/version unknown
SwitchLinc Dimmer 600W - switchover date/version unknown
In-LineLinc with Sense - always has been
IOLinc - always has been
LampLinc - switchover date/version unknown, but before 8/2008, firmware 33 (V4.3)
ApplianceLinc - switchover date/version unknown, but before 9/2008, firmware 32 (V4.1)

SwitchLinc Dimmer 1000W - maybe but only in 2009
KeypadLinc Dimmers - maybe but only in 2009

i1 Devices
PLC - no update to i2 planned
ControlLinc - still i1 - 10/2008, V1.4

No Info
IRLinc
In-LineLinc
OutletLinc
Venstar Thermostat
TimerLinc

(Dates based on purchase date of products I tested.)

Can you fill in anything else?

IRLinc Yes on i2 but they do not use extended messages
In-LineLinc Yes on both dimmer and relay
OutletLinc yes
Venstar Thermostat No
Timerlinc yes
Controlinc no
Keypad dimmer not yet
Keypad relay yes

SteveL

Steve:

Thanks for your offer. I sent an email to [email protected]. I hope that's the right address.

For anyone who is interested in the discussion on SmartLinc customization that died out, it can be found at http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4066

-Tom

Looks like TFitzpatrick is tasked to do this by SH based on his own statement in that thread. It is not his Full Time job (I might be wrong about that if things have changed recently) so it may be awhile or he found more problems with it and went silent about it until there is something to release. SH is only a Part Time gig for Tom and maybe someone else at SH can work on it to speed it up?

Steve:

Thanks for your offer. I sent an email to [email protected]. I hope that's the right address.

For anyone who is interested in the discussion on SmartLinc customization that died out, it can be found at http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4066

-Tom

Looks like TFitzpatrick is tasked to do this by SH based on his own statement in that thread. It is not his Full Time job (I might be wrong about that if things have changed recently) so it may be awhile or he found more problems with it and went silent about it until there is something to release. SH is only a Part Time gig for Tom and maybe someone else at SH can work on it to speed it up?

The file has already been sent to xlurkr.

SteveL

Steve:

-Tom

Just for everyone's info, I am indeed KenM, the nefarious INSTEON 'commenter' person. I had asked the CocoonTech folks via PM, to just delete my account. That did not happen so I created a new account, that was less ambiguous as to who was the owner. I am the person who bought two INSTEON SDK memberships and did indeed spend a full year of my spare time trying to make the PLC work with the SDM. InHomeFre. I no longer even answer emails about that, I got tired of making up excuses as to why the users request could not be met.

I like X10, I 'sort of' like INSTEON devices. I do not like 'people' who just keep selling HA devices that are known to be messed up. If some poor fool should happen to buy an older INSTEON appliancelinc on ebay, then he/her may have the joy of reliving my first INSTEON experience. That was having my living room filled with smoke when the thing died.

I am sure that someone will say that this is old and quit re-hashing it. I would answer to that, newbies do not go back and review the past three years worth of posts. Someone has to stand up and say, 'huh?'.

ken

Steve:

-Tom

SteveL

Cool

So it will be available to everyone now as more people in that thread were asking for it? If SH cant make it available would it would it be acceptable to have it on Cocoontech as a download for people?

Steve:

-Tom

SteveL

Cool

So it will be available to everyone now as more people in that thread were asking for it? If SH cant make it available would it would it be acceptable to have it on Cocoontech as a download for people?

This is a set of files from a third party developer. I did add a excel sheet with the commands though. The info that I saw Smarthome talking about was not meant as a consumer program to alter your Smartlinc, it was for developers and people that were comfortable with some advanced applications to develop there own applications and interfaces to utilize the Smartlinc over the network. The information I supplied xlurkr will allow him to do both. He is welcome to share it with you. This was not intended as a program that you call tech support for and ask how to use it.

SteveL

No, SmartHome did not follow up, even after some members edited their posts as requested. While I didn't agree with members having to edit their posts, doing so put the ball back in their court, so I agreed to post that request way back. Everyone complied, so they can't say that we didn't try. Frankly, I am surprised that during these difficult economic times, a company decides to keep ignoring such a great opportunity to improve the relationship with existing and future customers.
not a problem here - i still have mine and will repost my pearls of wisdom

QUOTE (jlehnert @ Jan 19 2009, 01:54 PM)
Smarthome has had QC problems for ages, starting at least as far back with the X10 version of the SwitchLincs. At one point they had some flunkies flaming people on various boards for spreading "false rumors" about QC problems. I guess at the time it was cheaper to pay them than it was to spend money on QC. I'm not surprised that I'm hearing about more problems with SH QC. The bad part about it is that I would not be surprised that come 2012, I'll still be hearing about new QC problems with SH equipment.

we malcontents that have $4000 invested in craplincs deserve to be flamed becauce we have unrealistically high expectations that a product should do what it claims

QUOTE (Dan (electron) @ Jan 22 2009, 07:18 PM)
If those kind of posts are being deleted before SmartHome actually sees them, then the moderator should be fired ASAP.

he fought awfully hard to get that esteemed position - of course - he deleted his posts where he flamed any other contenders or anyone that supportted other contenders

surprising to see so many surprised by this - this behaviour is the norm for them

'there is nothing wrong with our plms'
'there is no paddle problem'
'socketlincs are super duper'
'that fire was not caused by our appliancelincs'
'the update for houselinc will be out next week'
'the problem is your house wiring even though x10 had no problem with it'
'its revolutionary - you can't expect it to work'
'i2 is a myth and anyone that says otherwise is spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt'
'buy a $200 membership in our secret handshake club and it will work for you'
'stop complaining because they are sweet when you call for a replacement'
'x10 can coexist with 60 insteon devices'
'oops - that person left the company - can you prove you sent in that plm?'
'oops - that person left the company and we forgot all about you homeseer developers'

it takes critical mass (or michel at udi) to get an acknowledgment from them of problems - and it takes michel to teach them what that problem is and how to fix it

as far as the 'other forum' owned by them - they never answer questions or respond to problems - even when people noticed charges on their cards and suspected the source was from their computers, they had no comment

at best - shady company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back