More UPB problems with a UPS

OK so tested PCS, HAI and SA switches picking switches on the opposite and same phase.

The UPB HAI serial PIM is physically on the opposite side of the 2nd story home (fuse panel is on the other side in the basement) connected to a Quatech Serial server.

Note too that my signal zapping issue was intermittent and when it occurred wouldn't let the PIM connect to the UPB device - IE: zero reads. 

This is what I am seeing. 

Will attach Upstart images if requested. I have UPS's with no filters on second floor (2), main floor(1) and basement "server" box section (2)/modem, switch, router and stuff (1)

Note that I am  running the communications test with the supposition that it does two way communications back and forth.

All PCS / HAI switches at the device had excellent signals > 50 > 70 and almost all at the powerline interface are over 100.

SA switches whether same or opposite appear lop sided with high signals at the powerline interface (much over 100) and lower 21-31) at the device side.

One SA switch SW2 Series Dimming Switch Firmware V01.15 on Phase O

Repeater OFF

At the device: 26
At the powerline interface: 64

Repeater ON

At the device: 26
At the powerline interface 103

One SA LM Lamp Module - Timer FW version 04.26 - Phase S

Repeater OFF

At the device 31
At the powerline interface 127

Repeater ON

At the device 32
At the powerline interface 126

OK  this is indicator that the SA switches do not really benefit as well as the HAI / PCS switches from the HAI phase repeater.

The lop sided signals are different whether the device / PIM are on the same phase or opposite phase. 

The powerline side is mostly higher with the repeater running but not always.

I do see some improvements in signals with SA switches / HAI Repeater.

I do not see that the HAI repeater dings the SA signals; rather it improves one side and or doesn't do anything to the other side.

Note that these numbers are from the second floor UPB and probably are different than the basement UPB adjacent to the fuse panel. 

Communications test with the SPR

At the device:
Signal: 110
Noise: 2
Avg-Noise: 3

At the powerline interface:
Signal: 100

I can go to the fuse panel and flip the breakers off for the HAI repeater and flip the breakers on for the PCS phase coupler.

Will do that in a little bit.

Thanks Pete. That is a good test. 

Your lowest numbers were 25, so that is plenty of signal without a repeater. You don't need a repeater.  My last house was much different, 2 or 3. 

Otherwise your results seem a bit crossed from what I would have expected. Repeaters should help with the FORWARD signal from the PIM to the switch always with ANY switch, at least that was my understanding, but it looks like this signal didn't change much.

Unfortunately I'm no longer at the house with very poor signal so i can't do testing.  Signal at the device on the OPPOSITE phase was 0 with no couplers, 2 or 3 with one coupler, 3 or 4 with 2 couplers, and maybe 5 or 6 with three couplers.  If i put the PIM on the opposite phase, everything reversed. Same phase was 60+, opposite phase singe digits.  I never could figure out why but it had something to do with the power company.

This was interesting from the Worthington site. I didn't know you could use a repeater and coupler together....
--------------

Recently we were working with a dealer that was in a 15,000 sq/ft home with 800 Amp split single phase power.   The house worked flawlessly until 3 home theaters were installed that contained power conditioning equipment.  The power conditioning caused attenuation of the signal.  In a typical home this would not be an issue; however, the combination of 3 power conditioners and the size of the home lead to some intermittent behavior.   While helping the dealer we learned some tips:

- The HAI 39A00-2 repeater is for use with GenII UPB products.  All HAI products shipping today are Gen II.

- Unlike X-10 which discouraged mixing signal couplers and repeaters, it is fine with UPB.

- Multiple repeaters are fine with UPB.  The only thing to note is that the UPB transmission count (Unit/Dealer Settings) should be adjusted when two or more repeaters are used.  With 2 repeaters, set the count to 3, with 3 repeaters set the count to 4, and so on.  Be certain to re-learn all UPB devices in the network after the count is adjusted.

I remember when you wrote about using multiple UPB phase couplers and that helping your UPB signals in your old home. 

Well too here on my PCA UPB (not HLC) unit status view I do see the status of a switch when I enable the switch on or off from Upstart or Homeseer which works for me but isn't supposed to be from reading posts here on the forum. 

I haven't read this entire thread so forgive me if this has already been said. I contacted tech support at Automated outlet and they report that firmware versions 2.24 and 2.25 of the SA rocker switches were buggy with the PCS repeater but that ver 2.26 works fine.

Mike.

Thank-you Mike.

It is good to know that SA states that the PCS repeater will work with their stuff.  Yup here have many the UPB SW2 Series dimming switches with paddles.  None are 2.24 or 2.25.  FW numbers though are all over the place. 

The OP dealt with a signal sucking issue coming from UPS's.  That said suggested were filters and repeater leaning mostly on the filters as the sure bet fix.

mikefamig said:
I haven't read this entire thread so forgive me if this has already been said. I contacted tech support at Automated outlet and they report that firmware versions 2.24 and 2.25 of the SA rocker switches were buggy with the PCS repeater but that ver 2.26 works fine.

Mike.
I prefer not to play version roulette, since you have no idea what you will get when you order one, and once you received it the firmware can't be changed.

I have purchased several UCQF's in the last year. This is the three-speed fan controller, and from what I understand, this device only came out in the last year or two. It is listed on their home page under "What's New."  They report back as FW Ver. 1.04 and it definitely doesn't work with my repeater.

I haven't purchased other SA switches lately, so have not tested others.

Back