Motion Sensor Testing

I have existing sensors throughout my house and I'm budgeting for an ELK M1G. Before I start buying items, I'd like to factor in sensors if needed. Is there an easy way to test these sensors?

They are 12v, 4 wire, Securis D5.W sensors if that helps.

While we're at it, the door sensors should be able to test with a multimeter correct?

Thanks in advance!

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/23963-question-when-switching-from-old-guardaware-to-elk-m1-gold/?hl=%2Bmultimeter#entry190263

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/20819-quick-way-to-test-alarm-contacts-without-panel/?hl=%2Bmultimeter#entry174437

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/20747-elk-m1gold-retrofit-setup-questions/?hl=%2Bmultimeter#entry169395

For motions take the cover off and see what color wires are connected to the + and -.  Other two should be labeled NC and C.

Power 12 volt on plus and minus wires while monitoring contacts with multimeter (resistance).  Give the motion sensor a few minutes to stabilize, then walk in front of it and read resistance change.

Report back on resistance reading so we can advise on EOL's (if installed).

Thanks BSR -- I don't have a wart for the old security system to power it up. Although I probably have an old one I can cut and hard wire in. Is there another way to do that?

An old wall wart would work, just make sure it's 12 volt DC.  I would measure the voltage with the multimeter just so you are certain of which wire is plus and minus.

Ha! It's funny you say that. I think I have only two sensors and when I couldn't find any info via Google about them, I got a little spooked. I haven't done much research about new ones to get if needed but I figured this was a good learning opportunity before I start installing anything.

$25-30 for a known entity motion detector would be cheap insurance to me. Usually unknown entities would be best to stay away from if reliability and security is paramount.

I have it hooked up but when the motion sensor trips the multimeter gets overloaded. I didn't have much time to play with it but I'll try to get some more readings. I think it hovers around 4ohms otherwise.

brettahale said:
I have it hooked up but when the motion sensor trips the multimeter gets overloaded. I didn't have much time to play with it but I'll try to get some more readings. I think it hovers around 4ohms otherwise.
You have it on resistance scale, then when motion is detected, you read "infinite" resistance correct?  When no motion is detected the sensor is reading a near short of four ohms.

This seems normal and you have no EOL resistor in the circuit.

Since the wires are already there, I would replace those units with a more modern dual technology unit sooner than later as mentioned earlier.

Any recommendations on new ones? Have two cats and potentially a medium size dog in our future so I'm looking at the pet immune and dual technology.

I'm looking at:
Honeywell Intellisense DT270B (17.99)
Honeywell DT7235T (41)
Bosch BDL2-WP12G TriTech (36.25)

Better ones? I put prices up because there seems to be a big range so what's the deciding factor?

Thanks in advance!

Bosch Blue line. Have literally a few hundred out in the wild with no falses.

The intellisense is only a PIR (dual) which is only marginally better than a straight PIR.

The DT7235 is OK, but would not be my first choice...I've had bad experiences with the re-engineered C+K detectors (for those that know your alarm history).

BraveSirRobbin said:
You have it on resistance scale, then when motion is detected, you read "infinite" resistance correct?  When no motion is detected the sensor is reading a near short of four ohms.

This seems normal and you have no EOL resistor in the circuit.

That's correct. I know the old panel had EOL resistors but I just pulled the sensor off the wall to test it. The wires are labeled but it looks like a birds nest in the box. I'll probably upgrade these units but I've got an arduino that I might hook these up to and goof around. Thanks for your help.

I have found that pet immune motion detectors work well with smaller dogs, and some up to even 80 Lbs., but cats are another issue . I would like to suggest replacing your motion detectors with glass breakage sensors which will provide protection in the event of shattering glass, but allow for the movement of pets ( and you ) inside the home.

Poor idea.

The worst enemy of PI detectors is poor installation practices and people attempting to cover the most amount of space possible with the least amount of detectors. You'd be amazed how stable the units are if you pay attention to coverage patterns and also judiciously mask coverage areas. The key is to remember that you don't need to view the center of a room 90% of the time and sometimes installing more detectors is a better idea.

I have multiple PI detectors (835I's) with 3 cats and a smaller dog with no falses.

Back