Motion Sensors/Security Systems

One of those links had a motion sensor which provided a "curtain", i.e. a thin narrow beam about 5ft wide and I believe 15 feet high. This would be useful for cases where you wanted to monitor only a small path or say driveway cross section.

Got the Caddx system in, just started playing with it. Here is a photo of the three keypads, the NX8E mainboard, siren, glass break and motion detectors, battery, 16 zone extender, and relay board/X-10 interface.

Got the system to talk to the Caddx software via the serial port and also got Nitrox's plugin to work with Homeseer (well, at least the main board does right now, don't have all the other boards and the two other Keypads wired right now). I must say that Nitrox's plugin was easy to configure and was well thought out. Nice thing also is he made it available for FREE!! ;)

Attachments

• Caddx_pre.JPG
    Caddx_pre.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 39
Here is the wiring closet where the case (not shown mounted yet) will go (above all that networking stuff). The white wires above are all from window and door sensors, and keypad locations.

Attachments

• Wiring.JPG
    Wiring.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 50
Hehe, thanks for the comments (I think). That location is actually in a storage closet, so it's not as bad as it looks. I haven't had a chance to frame it in with an overall cover yet, wanted to get everything installed first. Was also thinking about some sort of sound system (more shelves?) but it will have to come later (tapped out of money right now).

Hey BSR,

I think it looks good. Wish I had a storage closet to dedicate as a wiring closet!

If fact, I just wish I had more storage space!

Thanks for sharing your work in progress with us.

very nice setup, I currently do this with my x10 cams and VisionGS, it takes a snapshot based on how much motion is detected (which can be configured). A hardware solution is always much better tho. Welcome aboard btw :D

I'm in a little late on this thread, but I'll add my (borrowed) $.02.

A lot of people swear by the Optex LX line of sensors, including a couple of people I have a lot of respect for. I put an LX-802 and a pair of LX-402s in may latest install. People haven't moved in yet though, so I don't have any direct feedback. I've got four more that I'm going to put on my own house, if I ever get motivated to do some attic crawling.

how much do these run for? I assume they act as a magnetic reed switch, closing the contact when motion has been detected? Could I run power over a seperate set of alarm wiring, or do I need to place outlets close to these units? Thanks

Correct. Two wires for the contact and two more for 12VDC. Regular 24/4 wire works fine.

The units are not cheap. The LX402 (40 ft. x 50 ft.) runs $74 at Worthington. The LX802 (80 ft. x 20 ft.) isn't listed, but runs around the same amount.

I bought 22GA alarm wiring from smarthome.com, I assume that's good enough for the power supply? Would I run the power of all these motion sensors to one big transformer, or should I buy seperate ones? I am envisioning all my future hardwired motion sensors getting power from my closet, but am hoping I Can avoid a bunch of wallwarts.

Dan:

22 gauge wiring is actually thicker (larger diameter) than 24 gauge wiring, so yes it will work.

As far as power goes. The power theory behind "out of the box" alarm systems such as the Caddx system I just purchased has a huge wall wart (12 volt output) that goes to the main board. If memory serves me correctly, that is good for about 2 amps. This is also backed up by a large 12 volt battery (the black rectangular object in my picture in the back of the boards).

All of the keypads, glass break sensors, motion sensore, and siren are all 12 volt operated. The theory here is if someone cuts the power off to your home before they break in, the system is still fully operational.

So you can do a couple of things since you are "rolling your own" security system using your computer. Have your computer on a UPS and have the wallwart run off of that (eliminates the need to have that extra 12 volt battery), or go ahead with the separate wall wart and battery mentioned above.

The size of the wall wart will depend on the total current you plan to have it provide. I believe a typical motion sensor will run around 40 milliamps (0.04 amps), so just add up all the current on the items you will be running off of 12 volts, add a 20 percent adder and get that size of wallwart.

(Did this make any sense)? :D

Back