Mounting an Elk add-on board

IVB

In my regular attempt to show you how much you guys outclass me, please allow me to ask what is probably a horrifically elementary question
- I ran wiring today for a new doorbell, and hooked into my brand new Elk doorbell & ring detector. I was trying to figure out how to mount this in the cabinet, didn't see any instructions or markings that said "put the detector board here you fool".

I did notice that the board came with this (styrofoam?) looking thing with sticky tape on either side, which I presumed to be some form of insulating standoff, so I just pulled the tape off both sides, stuck it on the board, and put it in a convenient place in the cabinet.

Was that right?

Different boards have different mounting options. Double sided 1/4 inch foam tape has been a universal mounting option throughout the industry for 20 years.

I like using refrigerator magnet material that has a sticky side. Using the ELK plastic black boxes that some boards come in, put the regrigerator magnet material on the back of the box then stick it anywhere on the metal cabinet. It is easy to take off and move.

Spanky said:
I like using refrigerator magnet material that has a sticky side. Using the ELK plastic black boxes that some boards come in, put the regrigerator magnet material on the back of the box then stick it anywhere on the metal cabinet. It is easy to take off and move.
That's a great alternative; i already had to move it as I accidentally pulled one of the wires out, and had mounted it too close to the bottom to easily reattach it.

Is that stuff available at Home Depot?

I would think Home Depot has the refrigerator magnet material.

Some boards are not spaced for the PC board verticle card guides. So check the dimensions of the board first.

Each card guide uses two holes in the back of the metal box. A large hole for an alignment tab and a small hole for the mounting screw to attach to. The PC board will span from the center of the large hole on one card guide to the center of the large hole on the other card guide. Check to make sure the PC board will work in the card guide.

Some people mount the boards to the plastic cover over the M1 board.

Back