Mounting M1XEP in Elk Can

HPVOHHR

Hi everyone,

Just purchased an M1XEP but having some trouble figuring out the best way to mount it in my Elk Can (SWB14).

I was originally expecting to pull the M1XEP circuit board out of the included plastic enclosure and then be able to mount it directly (flat) in the elk enclosure... unfortunately, the holes in the PCB don't align with any of the holes in the can <_<

Then I figured I'd leave the pcb in the plastic enclosure and that the holes in the plastic enclosure would line up with the holes in the can. Nope... no luck there either.

I suppose I could order some elk circuit board guides but won't that solution result in trouble with the serial cable not allowing the enclosure door to close?

How are you supposed to mount this thing in the enclosure???

Appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks!

I used velcro I bought from home depot. Works great, good choice too - I ended up moving it down about an inch from where I would have put it.

I use magnetic strips (from HD/Lowes or a craft store), glued to the back of the plastic base plate. Then jsut let the magnet stick itself to your can. Allows easy repositioning.

Take it out of the plastic and mount it on a plat that will snap into the can. I've found that to be the best way.

The Elk SWP3 works great for this.

I disposed of the top plastic cover and then cut the plastic backplate to size. I keep just enough of the backplate for the circuit board to snap in. I mounted the backplate to the side wall of the can by wedging it in.

I have such a rediculous amount of stuff that I totally gave up on the can and just have an entire wall of stuff screwed down. I lock the whole closet to keep the curious away.

I suggest the backplate, expensive but clean-looking.

I've put a few things into my enclosure using self-tapping screws, pretty easy, though a small fragment of metal is generated that you should keep track of. I taped a sheet below the module to catch any tiny frags while I screwed.

Looks like CT/CQC member gacevich used self-tapping screws for his XEP:
HomeAutomation024.jpg

I've also used the industrial velcro, from HD. Easier repositioning, though self-tapping screws aren't very destructive, and pretty easy to reposition.

I used the plastic circuit board guides without any problems.

I used these also and they worked fine. I might have had to drill a couple of extra holes to get them to work, but I can't remember. The guides are nice for saving space because they mount the cards on end instead of flat.

Just realized that we were talking about the XEP here. I went the Elk SWP3 route and it works great - very clean. I used the velcro for the M1 itsself.

I read somewhere that the Elk glide mount might not work well for the XEP in an enclosure, because the serial cable interferes with the door. Don't know if it's really true, though.

I used Elk SWP3's for the M1XEP, the PD9, the 16 port expander, and the relay module in a 42" leviton can. Made a nice clean install.

Back