Multiple Remote Desktop Sessions

Thats one of the best hidden gems that I have encountered in a while! I had seen that hack at the Green Button for use on MCE machines.

The multiple RDC connections is great for getting more use out of an MCE machine. My MCE computer is in the basement, and I remote desktop into it using an old laptop or slower pcs throughout thehouse. I get the speed and power of a high powered desktop through machines that I would have otherwise abandoned a long time ago. Before I found out about multiple sessions, I never used the MCE machine for anything other than as an overpowered tivo.

Supposedly there is a hack for this. The only link I had no longer shows it because it breaks the EULA, but if you search google, you should find it within minutes.

This file seems to be for enabling concurrent users in Remote Desktop (more than 1 user for an installation that already works. like in XP Pro). But in XP Home we dont even have a first license. Remote Desktop is not supported as a server service.

The hack does not work if you join the computer to a domain, but that won't be the case at home.

Also if memory serves me correct I believe that Microsoft fixed that hack through an update. So don't plan on selling that solution to any clients. It bit me in the butt once and that is the last time I mentioned it to a client.

Good luck!

Captain Caveman said:
The hack does not work if you join the computer to a domain, but that won't be the case at home.

Also if memory serves me correct I believe that Microsoft fixed that hack through an update. So don't plan on selling that solution to any clients. It bit me in the butt once and that is the last time I mentioned it to a client.

Good luck!
I have read that there is a way to make it work on a domain. Adding the pc to a domain just resets the group policy changes that are needed for the hack. If you create a domain level group policy and set them the way you want then supposedly it works on a domain also.

I have not tested this.

Also, I have all of the microsoft updates installed and it has not disabled the hack yet.

StevenE

DavidL said:
There is always ThinSoft multiple client software.
Do they other a Terminal Services Server to install in a Windows XP Home Edition PC?

I found some hardware/software combination solution. Too complicated. They also have Remote Desktop clients for non-windows OSs.

sort of related..microsoft has plans for a version of windows that is basically for older computers to act as thin clients... but they are pushing it off for a while! I would love to get it for an ultralight laptop. Sort of what I have right now...but windows xp really bogged it down.

.http://66.225.202.210/news.ars/post/20060314-6379.html

hgupta1 said:
sort of related..microsoft has plans for a version of windows that is basically for older computers to act as thin clients... but they are pushing it off for a while! I would love to get it for an ultralight laptop. Sort of what I have right now...but windows xp really bogged it down.
Might want to look into nComputing's products for older PC's as well.

Back