My 1st bad Insteon Switch

coppercox

Well, I finally experienced the dreaded insteon switch failure: Had 6 switches installed and successfully linked several. The bad switch wouldn't link no matter how many times I tried. Hard resetting didn't help either.

Finally broke down and called SH expecting the lengthy hold and "jump-through-the-hoops" troubleshooting with tech support that was the experience of some fellow cocooners.

However, I was pleasantly suprised by my experience:

Call was answered immediately and transferred to tech support.

Tech support asked a few questions about the problem, I advised them of the steps I took and the result (<4 minutes). They agreed the switch was probably bad and gave me an RMA number. They also mailed me a prepaid Fedex shipping label for the bad switch. The switch was boxed and mailed. I am now awaiting my replacement.

Although, I am disappointed that the switch failed I can forgive SH since they made it painless to replace it.

I have had no problems with their Technical Support Department. I also do tests before I call and it helps.
I have two replacement 2412S PLMs in exchange now. Seems I got the ones normally used in OEM Kits and not the publicly sold ones from the net. Older Firmware.
I my case I did the Cross Ship with charge for new ones and refund when old ones are back at Smarthome. I have used cross ship a few time with no problems. Also got the prepaid return sticker in the box with replacements.

I am trying to exchange 16 plus devices for various problems. Most are paddle problems, others are flicker, one wont link no matter what and one is flaky (it works, it doensn't then its fine, then it doenst work again). One also had an arcing occuring inside the switch.

Anyway I have about 80 + devices in all so failure rate is about 20%. Sh cant promise that the new switches wont have the paddle problem as they have stated they do no have a permanent fix. So the new switches may have this problem and I will have gotten nowhere fast.

So doI rip everything out and convert to another technology and if so which one? I really needed virtual 3 way circuits. Does any other technology have that. I would like something with ceiling fan controls as well.

Any suggestions? UPB? Z-Wave etc.

I have had no problems with their Technical Support Department. I also do tests before I call and it helps.

Same here.

Bad switches suck any way you look at it, but I have nothing bad to say about their customer service.

Same here.

Bad switches suck any way you look at it, but I have nothing bad to say about their customer service.

Mike,

With SH telling me that they will give me replacement switches but "please be aware that the replacement switches may have the same problems as the devices you have now since we do not have a permanent fix" then I am cocnerned that this will be a never ending problem. SH cant advise when they will have a fix for the paddle problems (its been over 1 year already). OUt of 80 or so switches I fully understand some will go bad. But its about 20% and still more every few weeks.

They admit that there are problems and in the past they were very hesititant to replace them. This past week I have been in touuch with managers that are willing to work with me to resolve this but they repeatedly tell me they think the replacement switches will have the same problems as what I have now (and they dont want me getting more upset). They are being very honest and I appreciate that.

I am on the fence if I should bail out of Insteon or ride it out for the next few years until they get the bugs out. THis was a huge investment for me.

This past week I have been in touuch with managers that are willing to work with me to resolve this but they repeatedly tell me they think the replacement switches will have the same problems as what I have now (and they dont want me getting more upset).
Holy !@#$!

If SH knows there is an ongoing problem and that a fix is not forthcoming, how can they continue to sell these things? Talk about being dishonest with their customers. :D

This past week I have been in touuch with managers that are willing to work with me to resolve this but they repeatedly tell me they think the replacement switches will have the same problems as what I have now (and they dont want me getting more upset).
Holy !@#$!

If SH knows there is an ongoing problem and that a fix is not forthcoming, how can they continue to sell these things? Talk about being dishonest with their customers. :D

They will replace switches that have this problem until they get it fixed from what they said. Its not every switch but a decent percentage. They are actively working on this and I have provided some feedback that I hope helps. My opinion is that there is a production problem causing this in some switches but not all. Only my opinion and I might be wrong.

I cant speak for them but I think they are learning their lesson on customer service etc and will stand behind the product for this problem. I also dont think lower level CS staff are empowered to address some of these issues and that is why I had hit a brick wall in the past.

Same here.

Mike,

With SH telling me that they will give me replacement switches but "please be aware that the replacement switches may have the same problems as the devices you have now since we do not have a permanent fix" then I am cocnerned that this will be a never ending problem. SH cant advise when they will have a fix for the paddle problems (its been over 1 year already). OUt of 80 or so switches I fully understand some will go bad. But its about 20% and still more every few weeks.

They admit that there are problems and in the past they were very hesititant to replace them. This past week I have been in touuch with managers that are willing to work with me to resolve this but they repeatedly tell me they think the replacement switches will have the same problems as what I have now (and they dont want me getting more upset). They are being very honest and I appreciate that.

I am on the fence if I should bail out of Insteon or ride it out for the next few years until they get the bugs out. THis was a huge investment for me.

Replying to my own post the 16 switches/dimmers that went bad are more than 20% since only about 65 of the devices are switches /dimmers. The rest are accesspoints, rflincs, controlincs, appliance/lamplincs etc.

For what it's worth, I spoke with someone at SmartHome regarding the QC issues and fairly high failure rate. Though I haven't had nearly the amount of trouble some people have had, I have had my share of issues.

That person from SmartHome told me that they have put a high priority on quality testing.

Hopefully things will improve from here forward. Insteon seems to be extremely popular, and I have high hopes for the technology - especially with the introduction of the RF receiver and remote. Hopefully this will open the door to other remotes, and maybe that RF thermostat that was shown.

I think they can turn this around.

For what it's worth, I spoke with someone at SmartHome regarding the QC issues and fairly high failure rate. Though I haven't had nearly the amount of trouble some people have had, I have had my share of issues.

That person from SmartHome told me that they have put a high priority on quality testing.

Hopefully things will improve from here forward. Insteon seems to be extremely popular, and I have high hopes for the technology - especially with the introduction of the RF receiver and remote. Hopefully this will open the door to other remotes, and maybe that RF thermostat that was shown.

I think they can turn this around.

I think (hope) that they are realizing that they have to do the right thing to keep their customers. I can honestly say they are trying to do the right thing with me but we still have not come to a resolution yet. Hopefully we can work something out as I have a lot of money and time invested.

I am not as upset since at least now SH is being honest and actually trying.

well they shipped me the wrong plm - fortunately, i got another overnight without having to deal with smarthome - but the new one has now failed - craplinc

i still suspect something changed at smarthome a year or so ago - no new products in their hyped flagship insteon line - failing devices - houselinc seems to have been abandoned - allied partners never add insteon capability to their products - no followup with customers experiencing problems

most of all they have lost their good reputation - bummerlinc

houselinc seems to have been abandoned

There was just an update released, and there's also a link in there to join a beta program. Hopefully this means big updates are on the way.

well they shipped me the wrong plm - fortunately, i got another overnight without having to deal with smarthome - but the new one has now failed - craplinc

i still suspect something changed at smarthome a year or so ago - no new products in their hyped flagship insteon line - failing devices - houselinc seems to have been abandoned - allied partners never add insteon capability to their products - no followup with customers experiencing problems

most of all they have lost their good reputation - bummerlinc

Yes something seems to have gone amiss and they are so secretive we will never know. Supposedly (per their marketing) thousands of manufacturers are working with them on Insteon products. I just dont see it.

But they are trying to figure a way to bail me out of the huge mess I have of so many devices that are bad.

Back