My experiences with (cheap) Network Cameras, Analog Cameras, and DVR Software

Scott12v

A little over two years ago, I got a new puppy and wanted to be able to watch him during the day while I was at work. I found the Panasonic BL-111A on Ebay and ordered one for about $130. I thought this little camera was one of the best things in the world. It let me watch him in his crate (which was actually sometimes terrible since I could see how upset he got and hear him howling!) and it was quite a hit at the office.

Once we let him out of his crate while we were away, I realized that a single camera, even with PTZ controls wouldn't be enough so I went on a search for other cheap cameras to put at strategic locations around the house.

I found the Pixord 405M at Surveillent.com for around $140. This is a pretty decent little megapixel camera for the price, but it doesn't do that well in low light and it has no PTZ capabilities.

For my next camera, I thought what I found would be a camera even better than the Pixord since it had IR LEDs for night vision. The camera was the Asante Voyager 1 - another cheap (sub $120) megapixel camera. The night vision feature was great, but the colors during the day were completely awful. I couldn't find any settings that made them even close to accurate. I've also noticed that this camera sometimes needs to be reset by unplugging it and restoring power. I've never had a similar problem with the Panasonic or Pixord cameras.

After a lot of searching and checking Ebay almost daily for a nicer camera at a cheaper price, I finally went with another Pixord 405M, but this time the wireless version. It works just as well and has the same problems as the regular 405M that I already had. Again - a pretty decent camera for the price.

I had temporarily given up my search for the perfect (cheap) IP Camera when I stumbled upon a company called Compro. I was a little dubious after my experience with the Asante, but I received the Compro IP540 last night and am blown away. It is a megapixel camera with full PTZ (very, very fast movement) and IR LEDs for night vision. It works very well and has great software (probably the best of all the ones I've tested). The only downside is that it doesn't have a feature that the Panasonic has - the ability to limit non-admin users to be able to view the camera only during certain times of the day. This makes replacing the Panasonic difficult since a lot of people still like to watch our dog during working hours! I did send them a request yesterday to see if they would add this as a feature so we will see. The camera was $200 at MWave.com and they have a couple of cheaper versions if you don't care about PTZ or IR.

When we built our house, we also wired for analog cameras. I won't go in to my full story, but will say that I've had great success with one of the Vandal Proof Dome Cameras from Monoprice. I only have two analog cameras...I forget the name of the other one, but it was about $50 more than the one from Monoprice and nowhere near as good (in fairness, I may need to spend more time with the settings...I didn't know what "good" was until I set up the Monoprice camera). I use a capture card from bluecherry.net and it has worked great. I got the PV155 since it supports up to 16 cameras, but I notice now that they have a disclaimer that it only supports 4 when using Windows as your operating system so a PV149 may have been a better choice.

For software, again, I was looking for something cheap but full-featured. I tried a lot of different software, but kept coming back to a company called Blue Iris. Their website is relatively minimal, but the software is great. It supports just about every manufacturer of Network Cameras and allows you to integrate all of them, along with your analog cameras, into a single view. It has great motion detection capabilities so I can record only when a camera senses motion. And support is top-notch. Performance with the Pixord camera was a little bit flaky, but after some emails with their tech support and giving them access to the camera over the Internet, they were able to make it work flawlessly. I'm still working with them on the new Compro camera, but I'm expecting similar results (it works, but a little flaky and no PTZ controls). It also works great with the PV155 card from bluecherry. The only downside (and it is a minor one) is that the web interface looks very dated. It could definitely use a facelift and it could also expose some more of the admin options (as it stands now, you have to configure everything through the acutal software interface rather than the web). And before anybody asks, I did look at Zoneminder as an option and don't have an issue running Linux, but from everything I read, it looked like getting specific cameras to work was a hit or miss proposition and I was looking for something that could integrate any Network camera without much trouble.

After writing all of that, I notice that I can't connect to my new Compro camera (the one that I was raving about just a minute ago!) but it may be something I did before going to bed. Unfortunately, its going to be 10 hours before I'm home again to take a look. I'll post an update when I know more about their reliability.

Scott

Awesome post man. Very informative. Clear. Links to all of the cameras. I wish I could post like you more often (but I get sooo lazy).

Thanks!

Thanks for the informative post Scott.

I too am trying a new IP camera after using a Panasonic IP PTZ (BLC10A) camera for a few years now.

I've historically noticed (after playing with a "few" cheaper models) when you get the electronics you get poor optics or vice versa.

I'm trying a very cheap WLAN/LAN IP PTZ camera (Foscam) next ($82). I've seen it from about this price to about $120. It most likely is a clone but documentation on Ebay states its not.

This is camera number 10 with 8 being analogue and 1 being IP (Panasonic). The video card is a "blue cherry" 8 port/8 chip card which has been running now for about 3-4 years with small heatsinks on the video chips. (think they are 878A's). I use the same DVR box (ZM) for the IP cam and it works well.

Great post! This gives me some things to check out as I've been interested in adding to my cameras.

Great post! This gives me some things to check out as I've been interested in adding to my cameras.

When I was researching cameras to put in my house (which I haven't done yet), I tried a lot of DVR software and the best one I found was in fact Blue Iris too.

I'll look into the Blue Iris. I've been using Active WebCam Deluxe and the processor utilization is way too high.

I utilize Zoneminder running on PC Linux. I rarely utilize the desktop GUI (actually removed it) and just utilize ZM / Webmin GUI/ SSL WinSCP to manage the box. and have tweaked the memory buffers for utilization for the 8 analogue and 1 IP camera. Each camera is running around 10 FPS. I have tested a couple at 25FPS and would get some high utilization on the box. The DVR card does utilize a lot of power in that I tried to fit it with a 140Watt PS in a small mITX case and it wouldn't power up.

It records each of the camera ports 24/7 but only saves specified motion events in little pieces. I also trigger events from the HA box via Xap from outdoor IR sensors. IE: a doorbell event triggers three cam recording events.

I too am trying a new IP camera after using a Panasonic IP PTZ (BLC10A) camera for a few years now.

I've historically noticed (after playing with a "few" cheaper models) when you get the electronics you get poor optics or vice versa.

I'm trying a very cheap WLAN/LAN IP PTZ camera (Foscam) next ($82). I've seen it from about this price to about $120. It most likely is a clone but documentation on Ebay states its not.

This is camera number 10 with 8 being analogue and 1 being IP (Panasonic). The video card is a "blue cherry" 8 port/8 chip card which has been running now for about 3-4 years with small heatsinks on the video chips. (think they are 878A's). I use the same DVR box (ZM) for the IP cam and it works well.

I have 2 FOSCAM cameras. The inside fixed model is great for the $70 I paid. The outside 24 LED model is fair at best. I do not have the PTZ version. No more money right now to buy more.

FYI I bought another FOSCAM outside 60 LED version on ebay a few weeks ago and I got a clone (no name or model number anywhere on it) and had to file an ebay/paypal claim to get my money back from the guy. He kept insisting even though it had no name or model number anywhere (box, camera, documents) that it was genuine. I did not beleive his story and returned it and forced him to give me my money back so be careful who you buy from (he is an authorized FOSCAM dealer per the FOSCAM website).

Scott - nice post.

Pete - I am about to pickup a couple of these Ebay Link

Outdoor + Wired or Wireless + 60 LED's for night vision. These are cheap enough for being outdoor rated. What model did you get?

Digger
That sounds like what I just bought. Hopefully not the same guy - he had pretty high sales numbers and decent ratings.

I have 2 FOSCAM cameras. The inside fixed model is great for the $70 I paid. The outside 24 LED model is fair at best. I do not have the PTZ version. No more money right now to buy more.

FYI I bought another FOSCAM outside 60 LED version on ebay a few weeks ago and I got a clone (no name or model number anywhere on it) and had to file an ebay/paypal claim to get my money back from the guy. He kept insisting even though it had no name or model number anywhere (box, camera, documents) that it was genuine. I did not beleive his story and returned it and forced him to give me my money back so be careful who you buy from (he is an authorized FOSCAM dealer per the FOSCAM website).

Digger
That sounds like what I just bought. Hopefully not the same guy - he had pretty high sales numbers and decent ratings.

Technically I can not prove that they are counterfeit, however, why would a mfg NOT put their company name and model number anywhere on the product? The guy sent me about 20 emails swearing they were genuine however I chose not to beleive him. I had to have ebay force him to give me my money back after he did not answer emails until I left him negative feedback and opened the complaint. Once I left him negative feedback he emailed me 5 times a day begging me to remove the feedback. I refused to until I got my money back and now I am debating it (I never promised him I would remove it).

I dont want to say who it is since I have no real proof and he is an authorized seller per FOSCAM website. FOSCAM verified that they do sell to him but since the camera is not marked they have no way to verify if it is legit or not (one person at FOSCAM USA and another at FOSCAM China said if its not marked its counterfiet but another person at FOSCAM China says the first 100 beta units may not have been marked). My other two FOSCAM camera's are marked with the name FOSCAM and the model number etc.

Pete - I am about to pickup a couple of these Ebay Link

Outdoor + Wired or Wireless + 60 LED's for night vision. These are cheap enough for being outdoor rated. What model did you get?

Monk,

I purchased this indoor one. If I new they had a "wired one only" for $10 less would have picked that one up. Its for the garage. Not sure if its a clone but the box / camera pictured have the Foscam logo on it. He has good ratings.
Historically I've been burned once and Paypal was hestitant to refund until I was more insistent. The folks on HS say the clones are poorly constructed, poor colors and out of focus?

Found out from Zoneminder that the lens is easily removed and substitued with a wide angle lens which is very reasonable in cost ($2-5). I'm going to remove lens and replace it with a wide angle lens.

Foscam Ebay

How does the Compro do in terms of getting an identifiable picture of a face or a license plate at about 20 to 30 feet? I have some cheap analog cameras now, but at a distance of 20 feet or so you can't really get a good look at a face.

Matt

here is the most indepth review i have found of foscam to date. it is in French so use google translator
Foscam Review
for some reason they only list our app as supporting iphone when we really support Foscam on Android, Blackberry, Ipad, Iphone, Itouch, and Windows Mobile

for compro here is a demo IP1570
user/pass demo/demo
Compro IP1570 Demo: demo/demo

Back