my first motion sensor installation

v1rtu0s1ty

hi folks, just about 10 minutes ago, I finished the first motion sensor installation in the living room. I gave up searching for a bosch motion sensor mount. So, what I used is a speaker wall mount(Atlantic) from Walmart. LOL. :D

I'm attaching pictures so you can take a look at it. Does it look funny? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Shot 1
motion1.jpg

Shot 2
motion2.jpg

Shot 3
motion3.jpg

Hi

Looks ok to me , personally my choice of pir is ceiling mount ,although they tend to be more expensive......

Frank

Its personal preference, but I would do one of the following - probably in this order...

1. Depending on how good you are with drywall, I would run the wire to the corner (you can just make a small channel in the drywall, or run it in the wall if no stud there), and corner mount it without a bracket. I would then drywall over the box or hole where the plate is. This will look much cleaner - but it depends on your drywall skills or your personal preference for the aesthetics. Even in my retrofitting, I was able to get the wire close enough to the corner to still be behind the detector. You do have a few inches to play with.

2. Paint the bracket to the color of the PIR/plate so it is not black

3. Buy the Bosch mount. Any dealer that sells the PIR should be able to order you the mounts

Steve said:
3. Buy the Bosch mount. Any dealer that sells the PIR should be able to order you the mounts
Neil:

You asked for opinions. Here's mine. Hate the black mount. Follow Steve's advice and get the same color Bosch mount. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

not sure why you need the stand-off mount . . my MDs mounted right to the wall . .

. . how stable is the mount? will a passing truck (or thunder storm) cause vibrations, possibly triggering the detector?

rfdesq said:
Steve said:
Neil:

You asked for opinions. Here's mine. Hate the black mount. Follow Steve's advice and get the same color Bosch mount. I think you'll be happier in the long run.
My wife doesn't like it too. But she said if I paint it with white, she'll be fine. I contacted AO with the brackets, I still haven't heard any information.

pete said:
not sure why you need the stand-off mount . . my MDs mounted right to the wall . .

. . how stable is the mount? will a passing truck (or thunder storm) cause vibrations, possibly triggering the detector?
hi pete, the reason I need a wall bracket is because, in the first place, I installed a gang box before the drywall people came in.

pete said:

I have found the mounts, at least for the Optex detectors I use, to be very secure. I've never had one move unexpectedly.

Hi v1rtu0s1ty,

Trying to understand your connection in the first picture. I think the red wire goes to the + in VAUX, black goes to the - in VAUX.

Is the green wire going to the Zone and white going to the Zone Common??

Looks like you installed the EOL between zone terminal, is that right ??

Thanks,
Suresh.

surdev said:
Looks like you installed the EOL between zone terminal, is that right ??
Neil:

It's hard to see from the picture but you may have the EOL installed incorrectly. If the contact is NC the EOL needs to be in series with the contact. If the contact is NO then the EOL needs to be in parallel with the contact. Let me know which way you have it wired. When in doubt put a meter on it.

Suresh,

If I remember correctly Neil is using the tamper switch in the motion detector.( IMHO, if they can get it off the wall without tripping it it isnt worth what you paied for it...) But I know rfdesq was the one who pointed out the wiring of it but I can t find the thread. I do beleive there are two resistors in the setup.

mustangcoupe said:
But I know rfdesq was the one who pointed out the wiring of it but I can t find the thread. I do beleive there are two resistors in the setup.
Can you see two resistors in the picture?

Back