Need advice on driveway infrared motion sensors

I'm setting up one of those trap cages in my back yard to catch some of the local neighborhood varmint, and I'd like to set up some kind of detection and alert system that lets me know when something gets in the cage.  Searching eBay yields a number of infrared 'remote driveway motion detectors' that send an alert signal to a box inside your house.  As a new member here I can't post a link of a picture.  So if you'd like to see what I'm talking about it's...

Ebay item # 290960693443     sells for around $15
Driveway Patrol Garage Motion Sensor Alarm Infrared Wireless Alert Secure System
Outside infrared sensor runs on a 9v batt and the inside box runs on 3 C batts.

The trap cage itself is going to be set up inside a large dog house basically so the sensor will have less visual noise to deal with and thus be less likely to give a false positive.  Question is...I know this type of sensor is typically used for detecting things a number of feet away, but will it also detect something like a possum say 6 inches in front of it?

Also, if there's a better device I could use that you know of (but still inexpensive) please let me know.

I'm all ears, thanks.

Yeah - it'd detect something up close.

Not sure of your trap mechanism but it'd be easy enough to hook up some contact sensors that are only in contact if the trap is locked - that way you can be alerted when something triggers the trap.  You could search on here for the ultimate mouse trap for some ideas.

Do you have any other automation in the home? It's easy to extend into just about any other HA technology to receive a contact closure as well.

Back