Need advice on new home automation system

Del,

You keep saying your state but never say what state. I would be interested in talking to the AHJ's you are saying do not permit certain things but I need to know what states and or localities you are talking about.

110v smoke alarms are often installed in new construction and often interfaced to FACP's. Granted the interface may not be accepted 100% of the USA it is described as an accepted practice by the IRC and UL lists devices for the application.

I have a conference call tomorrow with upper management at UL for the Security/Signaling/Life Safety Division and I can ask them about your specific locality to see if it's the AHJ not understanding the requirements or a specific local requirement not permitting it.

I am not sure how exactly the Elk interfaces with ISY, if it is better to control the ISY through the ELK or vice versa. Can anyone else with this setup shed some light on what is the best option?
The Elk can control the ISY by sending lighting commands. The ISY can detect the armed state of the Elk and arm/disarm it. But at this time the ISY does not have the ability to see other Elk info like zone changes etc. So you can't, for example write a rule on the ISY to turn on a light due to motion detection by the Elk. You can write this type of rule on the Elk, however. The setup is a little hokey, in that you have to import a file into the Elk everytime you add or remove a new device. But it works pretty well once you get it all configured.

The ISY is a little more advanced in it's rule language than the Elk, so hopefully they will be adding more support in the future so all lighting rules can remain there. It's something a lot of people have been asking/waiting for.

A program like CQC will give you even more power/flexibility and a nicer interface for touchscreens, phones, etc.

I suggest calling AO by PHONE, ask for a salesman. Read the Grand Concerto instructions. The MPS4E Music Port music server + the GC is a fantastic setup; the MPS4E is the only component I have feeding my GC - no tuner, not really necessary.

I'm pretty sure that AO will beat all advertised prices, for Nuvo.

I'm a newbie and in the same mindset as OP (sprague) regarding whole home audio ... I was looking into the HTD Lync product. I just checked the AO website and all the Nuvo product is labeled as 'dealer only' purchases. I haven't called AO yet, but was wondering if this is for show to force a phone call or does one really need some form of dealer registration to purchase Nuvo product.

Many thanks!

Thanks for the love Neurorad! :rockon:

I would be more than happy to answer any questions you guys have as well as generate any quotes you may need. Just call or shoot me an email.

Back