Need AV switcher with multi input capabilties

jlokanis

Hi,

I have been searching the web for the right solution and thought maybe someone else has already solved this here.

I need an AV switcher that has the following capabilities:

1. 3 inputs (or more) and one output.

2. Inputs must include component video and LR audio, composite video and LR audio and RF (standard modulated signal on specific channel). HDMI would be a bonus, but not needed.

3. Output must be component and LR audio.

4. Must be IR controllable.

Extras: On Screen status display would be nice.

Here is what I am trying to do:
I have a wall mounted LCD HDTV in the bedroom. I have 5 conductor mini-coax running from the closet to the TV. I have 1 RG6QS and 1 CAT5 running from the wiring room to the closet.
I want to put the non-DVR DISH HD receiver in the closet and connect it's component outputs to the TV.
I have a DISH Vip622 HD DVR in the wiring room. I want to send it's RF modulated output (on ch21) via the RG6QS and it's composite+LR TV2 output via the CAT5E (need a converter for this, any opinions?) to the bedroom closet and then route them as component+LR to the TV.

So the switcher wound need to be able to take RF modulated and convert it to component, take composite video and convert it to component and take direct component and route it straight through, as well as passing or decoding the appropriate audio and sending as LR.

I am thinking I might need a whole AV receiver for this.
Oh, and it must not degrade the HD signal from the receiver in the cloest. The other signals are all SD.

So, anyone know of a solution for all of this?

Thanks for the help!

-John

yes, it would seem (in my experience) that an entire receiver is required here. simple switchers as they exist today do no conversion, i.e., their inputs and outputs must all be of the same type.

but you should be aware that even many AV receivers (my Onkyo receiver, for example) will not convert between the formats. that is, if your input to the receiver is S-Video, the signal will not go out over the component video cables. you must also have an S-Video cable from the receiver to the tv to receive that particular signal.

what the AV receiver does allow you to do that a simple switcher won't is hook up multiple output cables to the tv (which of course, must be on different video in's).

of course, i could be wrong here, but having run into the same problem with my playstation (outputtting S-video) but only having a component connection to my tv (never bought that extra cable).

so basically, since i've mentioned that neither switchers nor receivers convert the signals, i'm not entirely sure if i've helped you at all :)

Sima looks interesting. $160 for 5 Composite - 3 S-Video - 2 Component Video Inputs / Auto Input Sensing / Volume Stabilizer / Composite Conversion to Component / Digital Audio Conversion (plus RS-232 controlled).

I wish some of their "speaker selectors" had RS-232 capability.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Sima looks interesting. $160 for 5 Composite - 3 S-Video - 2 Component Video Inputs / Auto Input Sensing / Volume Stabilizer / Composite Conversion to Component / Digital Audio Conversion (plus RS-232 controlled).

I wish some of their "speaker selectors" had RS-232 capability.
Note that that's FIVE TOTAL INPUTS, download the manual for more information.

That SIMA unit looks like it might do the trick. I still need to find a way to convert a modulated RF signal to composite. Seems like a simple tuner would do this but I am having trouble finding something on the net.
Also, I need to find a way to send composite+LR via cat5. What are the best solutions out there for this?

thanks,

-John

Oh, and does onyone know if I can user RG-59 compression RCA fittings on mini-coax? I can't seem to find ends for mini-coax anywhere. (Tried Radio Shack, Fry's, Home Depot, Best Buy)

Thanks for the VCR idea. I have a few old ones kicking around. I also might run the RF into the off air antenna input on the DISH box and have it think the modulated signal is actually a off air channel.

The issue now is the SIMA box. The reviews of it on Amazon were not favorable. Anyone out there have exp with it? There really is nothing else out there like it, short of a higher end AV preamp/receiver.

Actually the receiver option might not be as expensive as you think. I have 2 Denon 2805's (I think this is the model number) which I route as follows:

Inputs: component (xbox), component (HD SAT), S-video (pass thru from RF Modulator), S-Vid (ReplayTV)

Outputs: to tv w. component 720p (Svid signals are upconverted)

I'm pretty sure I paid around $300 for the receiver refurbished on ebay.

Back