Need Help with Security, New to Home Automation

I think that the Foscam gives you a lot of bang for the buck as a simple look and listen device but my experience using it as a motion detector was a complete bust. I installed Blue Iris which does have masking and other controls over the camera's behavior and still had an unacceptable number of false alarms. I think that the firmware in the camera is the problem. I have a Bosch motion and a Leviton occupancy sensor installed and neither has ever triggered falsely on me.

Mike.

Here we have coyote, turkey, pheasant, fisher cat, ground hog, fox, squirrel, rabbit, chipmunk, skunk, hawk, blue heron, eagle and one medium sized terrier but haven't seen a bear in our yard yet. Black bear are pretty common in Connecticut but we haven't had them here yet. We don't have bird feeders and keep our garbage bins in the garage so there is nothing for them here. We've also had a dog for 15 of our 20 years here.

I was at a back yard picnic with friends years ago when a bear showed up at the neighbor's bird feeder. When it went into the woods behind the house my friend and I decided that it was a good idea to go sneak into the woods to see if we could get a better look at him. (did I mention that we were drinking beer?). We were all brave until we heard this low guttural sound in the near distance and let me tell you that'll take all of the brave right out of you. That was a sound that I never want to hear in the woods again.

Mike.

Just recently saw a Polar Bear movie called:

Unnatural (2015)

Global climate change prompts a scientific corporation to genetically modify Alaskan polar bears with horrific and deadly results.

It is your run of the mill Polar Bear eats people movie.  (it was better than the beach sand eating people movie I saw recently).

[youtube]http://youtu.be/soHRo3XCbzA[/youtube]

The scenario is nice; acting is so so.

A photographer and his group set out in the dead of winter for the Alaskan wilderness to take advantage of the limited, but beautiful daylight. They are met by an experienced hunter and local lodge owner who instills fear within the group by telling them the legend of Maneater, a bear that has fangs and claws sharper than man made metal.

This epic tall tale quickly becomes our groups real living nightmare as they are unaware of a bear experiment that has gone wrong. The bioengineering company, Clobirch Industries, has genetically altered a polar bear so it can better survive climate change, but the end result is a relentless, deadly, man eating machine.

It is up to our lodge owner and his native guide to protect the group from harm, but this bear proves to be more than he or anyone else ever expected.

Directed by Hank Braxtan
Produced by Ron Carlson
Starring Sherilyn Fenn, James Remar, Graham Greene and Ray Wise.

mikefamig said:
I think that the Foscam gives you a lot of bang for the buck as a simple look and listen device but my experience using it as a motion detector was a complete bust. I installed Blue Iris which does have masking and other controls over the camera's behavior and still had an unacceptable number of false alarms. I think that the firmware in the camera is the problem. I have a Bosch motion and a Leviton occupancy sensor installed and neither has ever triggered falsely on me.

Mike.

How much are we talking for the Foscams?

Note that the screen shots I provided are from my Blue Iris setup... as stated I RARELY get any false alarms on any of my 4 cameras. I'll see if I can get a screen shot of my Event log tonight.

Here's a shot of my event log (partial) from today:

index.php

In that 6 hour span today, there are a total of 9 alerts across 3 of my cameras. I did scroll down just a BIT, so I could try and show the same level of performance between day and night. In each thumbnail, you can see what triggered the motion event.

If you can spring for it many Axis cameras have I/O connections.
You could use one of those with a sensor on the door and some simple Axis rule programming.
In addition the Axis camera can send email.

BaduFamily said:
If you can spring for it many Axis cameras have I/O connections.
You could use one of those with a sensor on the door and some simple Axis rule programming.
In addition the Axis camera can send email.

My HikVision cameras have I/O connectors, FTP, email, etc as well... and were a fraction of the cost of an Axis camera.

That may be true, however if you are connecting the IP cameras to any NVR or other application, the support for HIK vs. Axis is going to be a hell of a lot different. Either the 3rd party product directly supports them via a driver or you're going to need to beat your own path. Even ONVIF doesn't guarantee compatibility (though it was supposed to) especially with ONVIF 2 and 3 out there.

The big thing is the end user needs to pay attention to what the desired end result and hardware/software is going to be. Maybe not a big deal with a web browser, but in an NVR or other item...it's huge.

I've had excellent support form Axis, even to the point of modified binaries I can upload to the cameras. I haven't tried HikVision, frankly,  and if they work well for you great!

This type of solution: letting a smart camera handle the entry-sensing via hardware, and carrying it's own load of mail out the door, may work well for the OP.

I stumbled across this great Home Security and Home Automation Hub, B.OneIt does seem to be a very efficient home security system, and has its own eco system of products. It also integrates with several products and appliances in your home. Its Home Security Products include- * 1080P Security Camera * Smart Sensors * Wireless Smart Doorbell * Siren. Best part is, it is DIY! Very easy and fun. 

Back