Need some help, re SAT cables

jlehnert

Okay guys and gals,

I'm working on a wiring guide for the forum, and ran dry in regard to the number of cables needed for some of the satellite configurations (DirecTV, Dish, DirectWay, etc.). My DirecTV is 2 RG6QS cables, but I understand some of the newer elliptical dishes need 3 (or 4, or ....) cables. Ditto for the Internet over Satellite dishes.

Anyone have some feedback?

I had one installed about a year ago (maybe a little more), the HD dish was a triple LNB, and I ran 4 coax down to the basement (one was unused).

No idea on satellite, but satellite for internet is only for when there is not an alternative. I've heard it is terrible compared to more traditional means and much more expensive (but then again when you cant get the normal hookups it is probably greatly appreciated).

They are upgrading their satellites, but I haven't heard that will change the satellite (will affect HD boxes I think, but was not able to confirm that).

Yeah, I heard the same about satellite internet. I was about to break down and get it when I found out I was able to get cable if I was willing to shell out a grand for Adelphia to install a new pedestal.

However, I'm trying to cover all the bases on the how-to, so if anyone does know the cable requirements for satellite internet, I'd appreciate the heads up.

My inexperienced Civil Engineer brother is designing his own house. He is asking me about the HA and structural wiring specifications like piping size and minimum curvature, but I have never worked at this level. Currently only very few houses in Puerto Rico have structural wiring (only new developments), and in concrete houses retrofitting is not an option. I have not checked, but I doubt that we could have local guidelines for structural wiring. Actually, he has asked several other Civil and Electrical engineers in the residential market and none of them have an idea of the requirements.

Elevated running wiring guides (how are they called?) are not possible netiher, so he has to design the conducting pipes very well before the concrete is poured.

In short, this wiring guide will be very useful for him. I'll be looking forward to it.

Most of the newer DirecTV dishes have an onboard 4 way multiswitch, meaning you need 4 coax cables to dish. As for DirecWay (Internet), you need 2 coax, 1 each for transmit and receive or in and out if you prefer.

One thing I forgot to run is wires for a satellite dish heater to the roof. It almost ruined my superbowl sunday party as we got lots of sticky snow. Thankfully, all viewed well.

Don't forget coax for the OTA antennas to get local HDTV or FM radio broadcasts. You might also need more coax if you plan to use one of those cell phone signal boosters or a local cordless phone booster or a lightning detector.

If you are going to have a satellite dish make sure you know how you are going to ground it.

When pre-wiring houses in San Diego (we don't run dish heater wires :D ) we run 5 RG6, 4 for sat and 1 for over the air. Some of the new dishes have built in multiswitches, but we frequently need more than 4 lines, so we use larger multiswiches inside the house. You still need to run 4 from the dish to the indoor multiswitch.

Is 5 enough? Not according to Frank White, RF guru. He runs 11 in case the client wants Dish, Direct, OTA, and whatever else comes up.

Even is a house that thinks they are going to use cable, we still run 5 coax from the attic to the equipment closet, so the next homeowner can use sattelite

HTH

upstatemike said:
Don't forget coax for the OYA antennas to get local HDTV or FM radio broadcasts. You might also need more coax if you plan to use one of those cell phone signal boosters or a local cordless phone booster or a lightning detector.

If you are going to have a satellite dish make sure you know how you are going to ground it.
I thought they used a modulation approach for this? I may be way off (remembering something in a catalog/web site from awhile back, where this was referenced).

Not sure what you are saying. You can use modulators with both Over The Air and Satellite signals to put them on UHF channels for internal distribution but you still need coax feeds from the antennas and dishes to your receiver/modulator head end.

It was bugging me as well. It was not OTA HD, it was local channels (which I don't think is a real issue anymore, but I could be off, it is not in my area).

I think this was the reference item I noted, which is a little different and uses a diplexer:

http://www.smarthome.com/7744.HTML

Back