need switches for new install, what to choose?

sbessel

I have been out of touch for a while and I have a project I need to finish.

I need to install ~40 switches in a rather large home. I already have the HS server, a Ocelot, TI103 interface and ZWave USB interface installed.

The house is a single story 6,000 sf unit, and has ~3 breaker panels.

Priority goes to ease of use (non-HA, WAF here)
Interface with HS.
Reliability as I am rushing to finish this before the house goes on the market.
cost, although not so much here.

I need a variety of 3 way, a couple of 4-way, decora units.

I need a few plug in units for lamps and fish tank stuff.

I need a few appliance plug units for outdoor lighting and such.

What do you guys recommend??

Thanks!

...Scott

LOL, this has been discussed quite a lot. I'm kinda in a similar situation in that I have a couple of X10 switches and realize I want something else. Pretty sure it will be UPB or Insteon, just not positive on which at this point. All the choices keep me flopping on the subject and not getting anything done.

You mentioned that you already have a z-wave interface, which if you need it now and HS is your interface is probably the way to go. It seems that a few more things are coming out for z-wave but it has been slow going.

I'm sure some of the other guys can give you a more coherent answer than this.....

Hi, Scott, Welcome back.

If you are rushing to put the house on the market, I would scratch Insteon.

If you need reliability in a 6000 sq.ft. home, I would scratch X10. I would also question whether ZWave was appropriate.

That leaves UPB and ZWave. With a number of three-way and four-way circuits, the price will probably be similar.

I would worry about ZWave. The house sounds pretty spread-out, and you may need lots of switches to get the reliability. And ZWave seems to have more than it's share of sudden-death-syndrome.

I think, in your situation, that I would go UPB.

Having 36 Z-wave devices that I have not had any problems with at all.

I would say go UPB, Only because there is so much more I want to do but the Z-wave products just are not there.

And I am waiting for UPB interface for either the Ocelot or HS.

StevenE
Just another useless opinion.

Has anyone tested the UPB HS interface though? I would recommend UPB as well but your really testing the waters in something this spread out. What ever you choose please let us know how it works out.

sbessel said:
I need to install ~40 switches in a rather large home. I already have the HS server, a Ocelot, TI103 interface and ZWave USB interface installed.

The house is a single story 6,000 sf unit, and has ~3 breaker panels.

Priority goes to ease of use (non-HA, WAF here)
Interface with HS.
Reliability as I am rushing to finish this before the house goes on the market.
cost, although not so much here.

I need a variety of 3 way, a couple of 4-way, decora units.

I need a few plug in units for lamps and fish tank stuff.

I need a few appliance plug units for outdoor lighting and such.
UPB is a solid choice. Reliability is outstanding (don't think I've ever had a missed signal), and WAF is high.

I don't use HS, but I believe the UPB interface is in Beta. Don't know if Ocelot supports it.

Plug-in units - lamp module (has dimming capability) and appliance module are both readily available.

Does not have some of the "extras" ZWave will supposedly have (such as thermostats, etc) - but their switches work well, and the system is very reliable.

You mention 3 panels, not sure if you will need a phase coupler, but I would assume so. I have 2, and still have not needed a coupler.

Cost is reasonably high compared to X10 switches, but comparable to the other options. AutomatedOutlet carries UPB hardware (I've bought some of my stuff there and have been happy) - and you might be able to strike a deal if you are buying that many at once.

I have to ask, why the Ocelot? Are you going to use it for IR then?

For a new home and the prospects of UPB, I would use and ELK instead (already has UPB interface).

First, does HS have a UPB interface for v 1.7?

Also great suggestions... but the server and other hardware is set... I just need lighting control right now. The Ocelot was for IR and I have 2 SEC16I connected for other inputs. I have installed the ground work and base system.

No, they don't. But I think Michael McSharry has HomeSeer -> xAP -> UPB software in beta-test.

HS is supposedly alpha testing a UPB interface. In the meantime, you could use xAP or the Elk M1.

So really I have no options?

X-10 is it?

I don't really want to head into XAP as I need it simple and reliable, and I only have the single server to work with.

I think that UPB is clearly the choice for the switches. The key will be the integration. If you are selling the house, do you really want to leave a PC behind as well? If you just put in a controller like the Elk, it would be a neater package and less headache for the new owner.

sbessel said:
. . . and I only have the single server to work with.
I can understand not wanting to get into xAP right now.

But you don't need a network for xAP. Michael's xAP plug-in for HomeSeer and his client for UPB can run on the same machine. It should be no harder than a regular plug-in.

Another advantage: You could run both the UPB and X10 xAP clients off of the same plug-in. HomeSeer would think it's all X10, and you could then run a combination of X10 and UPB.

I'm with AO here. Put in UPB and and possibly a dedicated controller that can handle some more complex automation. I'm using a PC based controller myself that runs HCA but will simply program in basic scene links such as all lights off if any door switch is double-tapped off then remove the PC if I sell the house. The UPB protocol was designed such that you really don't even need a controller to accomplish many useful automation macros.

Back