New dry contact needed on M1G

Linwood

I'm using output 3 on the M1G for something else and thinking of controlling my garage door, whose radio has gotten intermittent.  I already have a open/close contact on it, so might as well control the opener.

My M1G also has the voice module, which plugs into J16.

The ELK-M1RB (that's what I need right?) calls for hooking to the J16 connector (taken), or to the M1XOVR output expander, or the M1XOV output expander, neither of which I have. 

In my case the J16 goes to the M1TWA voice module.  Now that module has a J16 as well, that looks like maybe it is a pass-through.

Does anyone know if I can put the M1RB into the M1TWA's J16?

And if so any restrictions, e.g. are the out numbers the same, any of them consumed from the M1TWA? 

Yes, you can connect the M1RB to J3 on the M1TWA.  You won't be able to use all of the relays on the M1RB, however. Just the outputs that aren't used by the TWA.

If you just need to add one relay, it would be less expensive to use an Elk 912 or 924 and connect it to one of the output pins on J3, rather than using the M1RB.

RAL said:
Yes, you can connect the M1RB to J3 on the M1TWA.  You won't be able to use all of the relays on the M1RB, however. Just the outputs that aren't used by the TWA.

This may sound like a dumb question but how do I know which outputs are being used by it; I've got three speakers plugged in, but I don't recall them being tied to a specific output number?  (Maybe they are, it's been a long time, but in a quick look didn't see it).

The TWA uses outputs 7-10 to control the basic functions of the board. Outputs 11-13 may also be used if you have the "override" jumpers configured to allow muting of individual speakers via rules.   So that leaves outputs 14-16 as the ones that are definitely available.  And maybe 11-13 if you aren't using the override function.

Thank you, I should have looked that up first, was being lazy, so thank you twice for answering something I could probably have easily found.

Back