New HomeSeer CADDX Plug-in

Could we get some form of confirmation from the plugin developer on it's status. I'm sure there are a number of interested users of the old plugin who would be willing to pay for a revised/newer one.

JP

I am sure Alan will respond in due time. With all of the effort that has been put into this and the docuementation I am sure it will come BUT I believe this effort has been held for HS 2.0 deployment. It will be well worth the wait.

What progress has been made on the Plugin?. It has been more than a month since the last entry and it was not made by Alan!. I need to make a decision and would not mind paying for the plugin

I am installing Homeseer 2.0 and since there is no support for the DSC panels I will have to change my alarm system and was planning to install the Caddx, but now with the delay of this plugin release and the lack of information about the progress being made I am reconsidering using Napco.

Thanks ;)

Hi Rene:

Welcome to CocoonTech.

I am in a similar situation to you in the fact that I already have a Caddx NX8E system installed and was using it with Nitrox's Homeseer ver 1.7 plugin. My family and I have grown very dependent on this Homeseer interface with the alarm system and I am VERY nervous that Nitrox is not supporting the old plugin and nobody has yet to come up with an alternative.

Let me give you some advice. Have you considered the Elk M1 Gold instead of a Caddx since you are now considering changing out your alarm system? If not you may want to do a search on our boards. The Elk M1 is currently supported (they are coming up with new products and interfaces). Plus there is an active plugin developer working on a Homeseer 2.0 product.

Elk currently supports the new UPB standard and "rumors" are floating around that an Insteon interface is not far away.

Regards and best of luck to you,

BSR

BraveSirRobbin,

I know I am not the only on the Crossroads, in fact I am in a better situation than you and most of the other readers as I do not have commited to Caddx yet.

Why would choose Elk over Napco , as Napco is supported by Homeseer, where Elk is supported by and independent developer, also Elk duplicates the functionality of Homeseer and also of my old StarGate which I will be using more as an I/O board than a controller.

Your feedback would really be appreciated, as I have been using Stargate for about 8 years now, and have decided that I need a better interface and flexibility and Homeseer appears to be the best solution.

Again thank,

Wanna buy a Napco 9600 board, expansion modules and keyboards (4)? I am interested in going to the Elk.

DavidL said:
Wanna buy a Napco 9600 board, expansion modules and keyboards (4)?  I am interested in going to the Elk.
Hehe, Rene, not sure I should tell you the advantages of the Elk, now that my friend wants to sell you his Napco :huh:

The Elk combines home automation WITH home security. It is like having an Ocelot with its digital input and output expansion modules combined with a security system such as Caddx and Napco.

The Elk also does more such as ethernet connectivity, on-board voice announcements with extensive vocabulary, many on-board serial ports, etc... The programming language is a lot easier than the Caddx or Ocelot. It has an active R&D support group as they are developing interfaces for the latest HA protocols (such as Insteon).

I don't own an M1 Gold myself (though I wish it existed before I purchased my Caddx NX8e and Ocelot (with SECU16I and RLY-8 expansion modules), so I am just getting these features off of posts I read. Do a search and you will probably find more.

You may want to cruise Elk's Website as well. One of their development engineers is also a "Cocooner"!

It is a more expensive system, but it is worth it if you want expandability, especially with home automation features.

Granted Homeseer has a lot of features, but a lot of us have the theory that you keep critical tasks and features running on a PLC (programmable logic controller), and let the PC handle the "ginger bread" items such as Emailing you when an alarm occurs, web interface, etc... Even if you wind up getting the Elk, I would still look into getting Homeseer!

If you "just" want a security system and want to keep costs down, then go ahead with the Napco or Caddx systems. They are proven reliable systems and you won't go wrong with either brand, though it sounds like you may lean towards the direction of Napco because of its Homeseer interface (plugin). BTW, Mr. Lee, does the Napco system have a working HS2.0 plugin??

Also, if you want to buy David's Napco, I will vouch for him!! He is a well known upstanding guy in our community! :D

Regards and hopes some of this info helps you out. If you have any additional questions, just ask. Some of our members have the ELk M1 and will probably chime in with better and more accurate/up to date info!

BSR

Thanx for the reference BSR!
Not sure I Neeed an Elk, just want one as a new toy. If the switch doesn't cost me a big bunch, then what the heck. The Napco has been good to me and works great with HS.

DavidL said:
Not sure I Neeed an Elk, just want one as a new toy.
Same here David! :huh:

So, I know you were an early beta tester of HS 2.0. Does the Napco system have a plugin that will work with this new Homeseer version?

Well version 2 beta of Homeseer is out and was wondering when the new plugin for Caddx was going to be released? Weren't we waiting on 2.0 for it to be released?

Judd

Yes, there is a revision to the Napco plugin that works fine with HS2.0beta. One or two error messages on HS launch, but things still seem to work fine.

Back