New house with future HA needs, keep existing Concord 4 or upgrade?

briancl

Hi,

I just bought a new house with a security system already wired in.  I have a Concord 4 panel (600-1021-95R), cellular module (DSC GS3060-ADTRF), GE Keypad, and 4 motion detectors.  The house also has 4 cameras connected to a DVR, wiring for door sensors on all but 1 door, and other misc wiring scattered throughout the house (16/4, Cat 5, etc)  All wiring is homerun to a wiring closet with the C4 panel.

I need to add the following to the system right now:

6 Wireless glass break
3 wired door
2 wireless door
1 garage door
1 wireless motion (garage)
3 wireless exterior motion (motion activated flood lights)
1 wireless deadbolt
1 wireless keypad (garage)
1 wired keypad
3 wireless carbon monoxide
3 wireless smoke
3 wireless freeze
3 wireless water sensors
3 wireless keyfob remotes

I plan to do most of the work myself.. I can do wiring.  I will have this monitored with Alarm Relay.  I already talked to the installer, and he said I can have the installer code.  He gave me 3 codes already to try.  How do I verify that I have the right installer code?  I somehow disabled the system (keypad is off and unresponsive) because it kept beeping every 12 hours, so step 1 would be turning it back on

I don't have the budget for the full HA system that I'd like in the future (lighting, HVAC, whole house A/V).  Can my Concord 4 handle my security needs today and will it integrate with the HA capability in the future that I want?  Or should I ditch the C4 panel right now and go with something like the Elk or HAI?  I do want to have my security alarm sensors to trigger events for HA in the future, so integration is important.  For software, when I'm ready for HA, I'd probably run something like a HomeSeer or CQC.

Sorry, should I provide more information?  I'm new to the board.. just learning about HA and home security.. this is my first system.

Well, not many people here are probably familiar with the Concord system.  I do believe HomeSeer has a plugin for it and you might want to check out their forums for that piece of information.  Not sure about the other software you mention, but each has their own dedicated support forums that should contain that information.

A lot would depend on how many input zones are available with the Concord and what type of input expansion module would be needed to add your additional wired sensor needs.  The manual should be available online, or if a dealer account is needed, perhaps you can get your installer buddy to get that for you as you will surely need this!

I am not sure how the Concord would interface with a computer (serial port, USB, ethernet expander available???).

Also, I'm pretty sure the GE wireless sensors should work with that system as well.  You will need to get a GE wireless receiver expander most likely (see if this one will work), then; say for that particular system, the proper frequency wireless sensors that will work with it (for that receiver the 319.5 mhz crystal ones).  They have a selection of wireless sensors that should fit most of your listing.

EDIT:  Check out THIS thread on the HomeSeer boards for Concord plugin (also just do a general search on that board).

Also, check out these search results from this forum.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/16137-ge-concord-and-caddx-are-they-differnt-animals-as-far-as-rs232-support/?hl=%2Bconcord#entry135935

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/14769-programming-a-ge-security-system/?hl=%2Bconcord#entry125343

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/14535-ha-system-control-for-6500-sqft-new-construction-house/page-2?hl=%2Bconcord#entry123350

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/12991-concord-4-superbus-2000-automation-module-disable-supervision/?hl=concord#entry110859

The difficulty, per se, is the GE/ITI Concord is really a closed platform and not as flexible as some of the larger offerings. It'll work, but it'll require more 3rd party devices and HP on those devices to run automation, but the level of integration would dictate if you should consider replacement.

DELInstallations said:
The difficulty, per se, is the GE/ITI Concord is really a closed platform and not as flexible as some of the larger offerings. It'll work, but it'll require more 3rd party devices and HP on those devices to run automation, but the level of integration would dictate if you should consider replacement.

Interesting.  Could you give me some basic examples of what would be more challenging or require additional 3rd party devices if I kept the Concord vs going to Elk or HAI?

If it was me, I'd dump the Concord system and go with HAI.  I'm not sure what your long-term goals are, but you could replace the panel, add a keypad and add a GE wireless receiver with not much cost outside of those three things.  Then just stop there until you reseach more and have more funds.  The security system is really at the heart of any good home automation system and its always going to limit you if you stick to what you have. You have lots of wireless sensors which you can keep and they can be the most expensive part anyway.

It depends on the level of integration and if you wanted the alarm status or other events to drive lighting, HVAC, etc. The Concord really is closed, it can output it's generic status and send/receive via an optional 232 port, but anything that requires logic or direct control, you're going to need a 3rd party device.

Back