New HP TouchSmart PC

The IQ500 is HP's latest touchscreen-based PC. The computer is contained within the 22" diagonal display. Very sleek.

Yes, got one of those...seems to work pretty good...came with Vista Premium 64 bit.

It's a bit slow to start up and not exactly a powerhouse, but for websurfing in the kitchen and playing itunes it works just fine....the screen is high res and very very nice....

I was thinking about getting one of these, but need to wall mount it in the kitchen. I have seen some solutions on the internet to wallmount this model, but they look like they would viod the warranty (drill into the case.) If anyone has a better soltion, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Now HP has a larger model that is wall-mountable, but it is too big for my application.

I was thinking about getting one of these, but need to wall mount it in the kitchen. I have seen some solutions on the internet to wallmount this model, but they look like they would viod the warranty (drill into the case.) If anyone has a better soltion, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Now HP has a larger model that is wall-mountable, but it is too big for my application.

What is the advantage of these HP machines over an Eee Top touch sctreen PC? (Besides the fact that the Eee Top won't be released for a few more weeks) How do they compare in terms of price, power consumption, etc? I think the Eee Top is XP rather than Vista which is a huge plus for HA applications.

Well the HP is a really nice unit, but it is HUGE! I think the Eee Top touch is going to be more practical for most people in the HA arena.

I didn't see that the EE Top Touch has a TV tuner which the one version of HP does. I am looking at the HP to be used as a TV first and HA interface second in the kitchen. I have not seen it as a TV yet, if the picture is any good. But it is huge in comparison to the EE.

Imagine the Eee Top with the SageTV client, and you have the ultimate kitchen machine ;)

Imagine the Eee Top with the SageTV client, and you have the ultimate kitchen machine ;)

I also would lean towards this method, especially if you already have SageTV. It will certainly make installation a little easier. Using Sage you don't have to have the tuner card in the local computer. So you don't have to worry about running a OTA/Cable/Sat source to the touchscreen.

One would think that a lare computer company could afford some decent web design!

Attachments

• HPHaHa.jpg
    HPHaHa.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 52
Just FYI guys, this HP touchPC comes with a rather large power brick (not a wall wart, but an inline brick the size of ...well...a brick)...

I plan to have my sitting on the kitchen counter, i measure and the 22" version shoudl fit just under the kitchen cabinets. I just don't know what to do with that brick yet. I may end up running DC up from the basement to avoid the brick.

I suppose cutting the factory brick wires and splicing in an externion woudl probably void the warrenty....but who cares...

I've had this machine for a few month now and it's nice. The lower end one running Vista64 bit (thats wha came with it) is a bit underpowered through, once all the apps are up and running it's pretty smooth...the screen itself is beautilly sharp vibrant..and the touch responds well.

Back