New IP Camera

upstatemike

Now that Panasonic has come out with a new batch of IP Cameras I noticed some big cuts in the prices of last year's models and I decided to get one and try it out. I picked up a BB-HCM331 and I have to say that set up on it was literally less than 2 minutes! Pretty happy with it but I have a couple of questions that I am hoping somebody who already has one of these can help me with.

1- Pan Tilt and Zoom all work great and I really like the built-in microphone. The one thing I can't figure out is how to view a full screen image of the camera feed. Is this really not possible?

2- The power connector is a right angle type so I can't feed the power cable through a small hole in the wall to the outside. I was wondering how other folks are powering their cameras... Use a spare pair in the ethernet cable? Cut the end off the power supply cord and make a home made extension for the power supply? Power the camera from some other power supply? (maybe a battery backed Elk supply?)

3- What do most folks use for a talkback speaker? I was thinking of an Elk-870 self-amplified speaker. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dunno the answer to your questions, but check the NY laws before recording. IIRC, in CA it's illegal to record audio & video without the consent of all parties. I did that research a while ago, so that might be slightly off, but there was something I couldn't do with audio...

Now that Panasonic has come out with a new batch of IP Cameras I noticed some big cuts in the prices of last year's models and I decided to get one and try it out. I picked up a BB-HCM331 and I have to say that set up on it was literally less than 2 minutes! Pretty happy with it but I have a couple of questions that I am hoping somebody who already has one of these can help me with.

1- Pan Tilt and Zoom all work great and I really like the built-in microphone. The one thing I can't figure out is how to view a full screen image of the camera feed. Is this really not possible?

2- The power connector is a right angle type so I can't feed the power cable through a small hole in the wall to the outside. I was wondering how other folks are powering their cameras... Use a spare pair in the ethernet cable? Cut the end off the power supply cord and make a home made extension for the power supply? Power the camera from some other power supply? (maybe a battery backed Elk supply?)

3- What do most folks use for a talkback speaker? I was thinking of an Elk-870 self-amplified speaker. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mike where did you pick yours up and if you dont mind what did it cost? I have been on the fence about getting some IP Camera's going.

Thanks

I have been specifically looking at CT member possible stuffs.

On order now are megapixel dual streamers with a nice lens for under $500 delivered in the US.

Hopefully they work well and have good reliablity as the bang:buck on them is very good for you guys.

Mike where did you pick yours up and if you dont mind what did it cost? I have been on the fence about getting some IP Camera's going.

Thanks

You can find the outdoor unit, BB-HCM331, for under $500 delivered from several places. Just search using Pricegrabber or Nextag.

So this is what I am thinking for wiring...

Get an ELK-412 to use a a central power supply for all cameras with power distributed to individual cameras using an ELK-PD9HC. I will put a Linksys SD205 5-port ethernet hub in the power supply box and pwer it from the Elk-412 also.

I will split the cat-5 in the power supply box using 2 pair for ethernet and 1 or 2 pair for power. (I would prefer to use only 1 pair so I have a pair left for the camera sensor output.)

The runs will be less than 100 feet so hopefully voltage drop will not be an issue. Would this approach work OK?

So this is what I am thinking for wiring...

Get an ELK-412 to use a a central power supply for all cameras with power distributed to individual cameras using an ELK-PD9HC. I will put a Linksys SD205 5-port ethernet hub in the power supply box and pwer it from the Elk-412 also.

I will split the cat-5 in the power supply box using 2 pair for ethernet and 1 or 2 pair for power. (I would prefer to use only 1 pair so I have a pair left for the camera sensor output.)

The runs will be less than 100 feet so hopefully voltage drop will not be an issue. Would this approach work OK?

I am not familiar with the Elk part numbers you listed but I assume thats a 12v distributed power supply.

What you are asking will work assuming the camera draws so little that 24 gauge wire works.

You could optionally (and I highly suggest this if you want more IP cams in the future) buy a new network swtich just for cameras and get one with PoE capability. Then you can use PoE splitters at the cameras that don't directly support PoE and you can simply plug and play with the ones that do. :( The also ensures you have enough bandwidth available and you can power that switch from your existing UPS.

I am not familiar with the Elk part numbers you listed but I assume thats a 12v distributed power supply.

What you are asking will work assuming the camera draws so little that 24 gauge wire works.

You could optionally (and I highly suggest this if you want more IP cams in the future) buy a new network swtich just for cameras and get one with PoE capability. Then you can use PoE splitters at the cameras that don't directly support PoE and you can simply plug and play with the ones that do. :( The also ensures you have enough bandwidth available and you can power that switch from your existing UPS.

Problem is that POE is higher voltage so you have to use a UPS for backup instead of a battery backed DC supply. The difference is a few minutes of backup with the UPS vs hours with the low voltage power supply.

Well lI must admit I am biased as I see no point in a camera that is not recorded, as such having the cameras powered up after the UPS shuts down the server is pointless for me. Could be different for you however still, at night with no lights the cameras will be pretty pointless. You may choose not to have a backup battery at all.

Looking back though, I think you will need to run a dedicated power lead. I think those draw too much for Cat5, something like 2amp at 12vdc.

Good input on the power and I will give it some more thought. I have just the opposite opinion with respect to recording though (I don't see the point in ever recording). Cameras are for real time viewing of what is going on around the property. If somebody were to do something untoward while visiting me I would not want there to be a recording of the consequences they experience.

Of course my position, as always, is that if you live someplace where you need a security camera recording to ensure the safety of your family or property then it is time to move.

>> If you mean "show the video without all of the web page clutter", this is not difficult. You can follow the Panasonic example code or I can send you what I use. If you mean, "image size larger than 640x480" - then I would like to know too.

2- The power connector is a right angle type so I can't feed the power cable through a small hole in the wall to the outside...

>> I cut the supplied power line and spiced some zip wire, overall running about 80 ft. Still using the Panasonic power supply and power connector at the cam.

>> Not talking through the camera. I do use the HCM331 switched output with a Powerflash unit to control the lighting in the view of the camera. Works great.

>> If you mean "show the video without all of the web page clutter", this is not difficult. You can follow the Panasonic example code or I can send you what I use. If you mean, "image size larger than 640x480" - then I would like to know too.

2- The power connector is a right angle type so I can't feed the power cable through a small hole in the wall to the outside...

>> I cut the supplied power line and spiced some zip wire, overall running about 80 ft. Still using the Panasonic power supply and power connector at the cam.

>> Not talking through the camera. I do use the HCM331 switched output with a Powerflash unit to control the lighting in the view of the camera. Works great.

Thanks for the feedback! I will probably do the same thing you are with the power supply.

I will also do the powerflash trick (except with Insteon) except if it is too dark for the camera to see then how can it detect motion to trigger the light?

I also looked at the sample code on the Panasonic site but I wasn't sure how to apply it directly. (Looked like it was for inserting the image on your own web page that you would have to be hosting someplace). I wouldn't mind seeing what you are using... is it too large to post (in case others are interested) ?

This is the basic HTML code that will get you the video only in the web browser window. Put this into a "webcam.html" file on your desktop (for example) and you can run it from there (you don't need a server). Insert the IP address and port number of your webcam in line 7. You have to permit guest access in the webcam and allow motion video for guest users for this to work.

= = = = =
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>(name of your cam, if desired)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0>
<FRAME SRC="http://xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp/ImageViewer?Mode=Motion&Resolution=640x480&Quality=Standard">
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>
= = = = =

I hope this is what you are looking for. If you want to do anything more than this, or any kind of customization, it means you have to use frames but I can help you with that too.

Regarding the lights, this is strictly a manual function -- click on, click off. The camera will not activate the lights based on motion. Still, it's a really nice capability to be able to illuminate the area and look around, directly and simply, from only the webcam interface.

When you open the power line, be sure to observe polarity. But you aleady know that.

This is the basic HTML code that will get you the video only in the web browser window. Put this into a "webcam.html" file on your desktop (for example) and you can run it from there (you don't need a server). Insert the IP address and port number of your webcam in line 7. You have to permit guest access in the webcam and allow motion video for guest users for this to work.

= = = = =
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>(name of your cam, if desired)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0>
<FRAME SRC="http://xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp/ImageViewer?Mode=Motion&Resolution=640x480&Quality=Standard">
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>
= = = = =

I hope this is what you are looking for. If you want to do anything more than this, or any kind of customization, it means you have to use frames but I can help you with that too.

Regarding the lights, this is strictly a manual function -- click on, click off. The camera will not activate the lights based on motion. Still, it's a really nice capability to be able to illuminate the area and look around, directly and simply, from only the webcam interface.

When you open the power line, be sure to observe polarity. But you aleady know that.

Thanks for the code example... I give it try this weekend. Also thanks for the clarification on the camera output... If I understand you there is a button someplace on the browser interface to toggle the output which can in turn trigger a poerflash type light control right?

Back