New IP Camera

I will split the cat-5 in the power supply box using 2 pair for ethernet and 1 or 2 pair for power. (I would prefer to use only 1 pair so I have a pair left for the camera sensor output.)
Note that POE switches are pretty cheap now. Might be worth it for the time saved and a cleaner install. look at this Netgear switch.

Good price for the switch but the camera I bought is not POE so I would need an adapter. That would erase my savings on this model... might as well buy the newer model at full price since they are designed for POE and don't need adapters.

... there is a button someplace on the browser interface to toggle the output which can in turn trigger a poerflash type light control right?
Yes, with the standard camera web interface, there is an "on" button and an "off" button, you can put 6-character labels on each of them.

You can also program to it, for instance you can activate/deactivate the output function just by typing this in a browser:

http://xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp/Set?Func=Doutput&a...nd=1&Data=0
http://xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp/Set?Func=Doutput&a...nd=1&Data=1

Good price for the switch but the camera I bought is not POE so I would need an adapter. That would erase my savings on this model... might as well buy the newer model at full price since they are designed for POE and don't need adapters.
Really, POE in this case is hardly worth it because of the incompatibility, the added cost, and not incidentally, there's not much room in the connection compartment of this webcam.

Slightly OT, I wonder if there is a Windows version of SecuritySpy, or something similar?

This is the basic HTML code that will get you the video only in the web browser window. Put this into a "webcam.html" file on your desktop (for example) and you can run it from there (you don't need a server). Insert the IP address and port number of your webcam in line 7. You have to permit guest access in the webcam and allow motion video for guest users for this to work.

= = = = =
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>(name of your cam, if desired)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0>
<FRAME SRC="http://xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp/ImageViewer?Mode=Motion&Resolution=640x480&Quality=Standard">
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>
= = = = =

OK this works but is just creating more questions...

I could not find "guest user" in the setup. Is that "general user"? Can I avoid the need for a username and password?

If I dig through the examples can I find out how to add sound to the basic HTML code above?

When I pan the camera using your code it opens another browser window called nphControlCamera... can I stop this?

Why does the image always have a message that says "Press spacebar or Enter to Activate and use this control"? Can I make this go away?

This will be pretty cool if I get it all figured out!

There are a few things you need to know first to build this into what you want...

- In the HCM331 there actually is a "Guest User" which has no password requirement. First you must go to the Administrator account and select "Permit access from guest users." Then you have to configure the Guest User options from the General User account page. Creating the Guest User account will eliminate a few of the issues you are having.

- It will take a minimum of 3 HTML files (frames) to do what you want, and maybe one more. They are (1) a display frame which shows the video; (2) a control frame which has the view selection buttons (although I just use simple text controls); and (3) a target frame to receive messages from the webcam API.

- In my implementation, I make this last frame a "dummy" of zero size so the messages do not display. You can show it if you want but you cannot omit it or you will have either those undesirable spawned windows or tabs, or (more likely) no functions.

- A fourth frame might be necessary for the audio; I have not played around with this. Sorry.

I have attached sample HTML files. As coded, these three files must be located in the same directory. As usual you need to tailor these -- provide your webcam IP and port addresses in two of them, customize the controls to your needs, etc.

Attachments

• index.html
    579 bytes · Views: 18
  • control.html
    1 KB · Views: 13
  • dummy.html
    141 bytes · Views: 10
There are a few things you need to know first to build this into what you want...

- In the HCM331 there actually is a "Guest User" which has no password requirement. First you must go to the Administrator account and select "Permit access from guest users." Then you have to configure the Guest User options from the General User account page. Creating the Guest User account will eliminate a few of the issues you are having.

- It will take a minimum of 3 HTML files (frames) to do what you want, and maybe one more. They are (1) a display frame which shows the video; (2) a control frame which has the view selection buttons (although I just use simple text controls); and (3) a target frame to receive messages from the webcam API.

- In my implementation, I make this last frame a "dummy" of zero size so the messages do not display. You can show it if you want but you cannot omit it or you will have either those undesirable spawned windows or tabs, or (more likely) no functions.

- A fourth frame might be necessary for the audio; I have not played around with this. Sorry.

I have attached sample HTML files. As coded, these three files must be located in the same directory. As usual you need to tailor these -- provide your webcam IP and port addresses in two of them, customize the controls to your needs, etc.

Very much improved (don't know how I missed your reply for a week!) I'll play around with your sample files today.

Back