New M1- internet access?

tal1412

I just got my new Elk M1, along with the XEP module. I’ve been playing around with it on the bench just to make sure all of the features that I want are functioning as expected. The panel firmware version is 5.2.4. The XEP is running version 1.3.28.

I have the panel connected to my LAN. I’m on a DSL connection from AT&T in the Chicago area. My router is a Linksys WRT54G2 V1. My IP is dynamic. I obtained a DNS service account from No-IP.com. My updating is currently taking place via a No-Ip client running on my desktop on the LAN. Working good so far. I have no problem connecting to the panel via RP and have downloaded and copied the panel with no problems. I have port forwarded port 2601 as I hope to get to the panel from outside of the LAN. My router assigned the panel to 192.168.2.100. I have enabled a password on the XEP.

After hours of playing around with the email function, I finally was able to get it working. The hang up was that I did not enable non-secure port 2101 in the TCP/IP setup screen. I found that info in a response in one of the questions on this site. I am using the URL for my provider (sbcglobal), along with my email account authentication.

The next step for me is to get access from outside of my LAN. I had a friend try to access the panel using my DNS URL. He gets to the login screen, with a prompt for the XEP login credentials. Once he enters the login and password the screen goes white and the connection times out. It sounds like the XEP Java web server is not functioning properly? Java on the machine is up to date (Ver 6 Update 17) I’m not a network guy, so any thoughts/suggestions on what to try next would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

You need to port forward TCP 26, 80 and 2601 to get it to work. But it is highly recommended not to allow the M1XEP direct access via port 80 from the internet for security reasons. People have posted simple google searches to discover M1's on the internet and Elk's security scheme is not that secure. You open a port 80 connection which downloads a java applet, then it does discovery on port 26 and connects to the secure connection using port 2601. It also may not pass through most corporate proxy's and some ISPs since it relies on ports 26+2601.

You would be better off just port forwarding 2601, change the port to something non-standard on the public side (i.e. not 2601) and using an app like eKeypad or elkDroid to access remotely.

Thanks for the suggestions. I forwarded port 26, 80 and 2601. Same result.
RE: changing the port to something else...is that for port 2601 or 80, or both? How is that accomplished? Compliacted or relatively easy?

PS; At this point I don't have a smart phone...that's next on my list of toys to buy. I guess that eKeypad is not an option at this point?

eKeypad is an IPhone/IPad app. Elkdroid is Andriod. Changing the port would be done on your router (i.e. Port forward 5757 to 2601, instead of 2601 to 2601) just 2601, no other ports needed for an app to work.

To use the web interface directly (no apps) you have to port forward the 3 ports straight through (26, 80, 2601). People have had different levels of success in gettting external access to the M1XEP's interface to work, since it is such a complicated/non-standard scheme. Like I said, the ISP may not allow 26/2601 or the client's ISP may not allow it outbound. You could try to telnet to each port individually from your client and if you get the flashing cursor that means the traffic is getting through.

Had the same issue where java applet wont load.

Had to reinstall java and place it on a different default folder.

Works fine since.

Also, for Android, there is mykeypad. Both free and paid

Thanks for all of the feedback. Got it to work...for now.

Not sure what I did to fix it. Had all of the ports forwarded as suggested...and no work.

Rebooted the XEP and the router...and now it works. The Java app loads and he can arm/disarm my system.

On to setting up my voice dialing options.
Thanks again

New problem with Elkdroid: I have a M1 Gold with Thermostat control which has been working great with Elkdroid for about two years. I recently installed an Elk EZ8 in our summer home and finally got it working with Elkdroid.
However, after it acess's my second account which has no thermo control it somehow turns Thermostat control off in "Settings". for Elkdroid and I lose control of my thermostats on my primary home.
I can turn it back on but My thermostat information will not display even though I reload and re-connect. It downloads the thermostat information but will not display it and the only way I can get it working on my primary home again is to clear the cache and re-install the account.
I have two different Android devices (1) Motorola Razor (2) Motorola Zoom Tablet and this happens on both of them.
I have went through the Cache clear process and re-installation process on both devices twice now and finally had to allocate one to my home alarm and the second tablet to my other alarm.

Back