New Nobu 8" touchpanel available

Foosh

Hi Cocooners, I thought you might be interested in this:

Available mid-December is the N8, the latest development from Nobu. Below is some information from the latest Nobu newsletter:

The N8
The new 8" panel is a fully functional inwall touchscreen PC with all necessary input/output ports to control any subsystem or automation hardware in your home or office. Our goal with the new design is to satisfy a large demand for a smaller inwall touchpanel as well as to create the most robust, powerful, and visually appealing touchscreen on the planet. We designed the N8 without a fan because we wanted to eliminate noise and also to eliminate possible points of failure which is also why we will offer the high performance industrial Embedded Disk Card (iEDC) hard drive as an alternative to a standard 5400RMP hard drive. The N8 will have a fanless 1.0 GHz Intel Celeron M processor. The N8 will be available with Windows XP Professional. We can also sell the N8 without an operating system for special applications.

Product Description:
N8WTS10 - 8" Inwall touchscreen with 1.0GHz fanless Intel. XP Professional or No OS. 4GB iEDC (Solid state, Wide Temp Industrial Embedded Disk)

N8Frame5_WinXP_470x334.jpg
  • LV Intel Celeron M 1.0GHz Fanless Processor
  • Intel 852GM + ICH4 Chipset
  • HD: 4Gig Industrial iEDC (Embedded Disk Card)
  • Wi-Fi 54 g/b (optional)
  • Fast Ethernet port
  • 2xCOM (2xRS232, 1xRS232/422/485)
  • 1 PS/2 K/B +M
  • Front panel 2W speakers and mic
  • External Audio Line Out / Mic
  • 3 x USB 2.0
  • VGA out, Dualscreen CRT (15pin D-sub, max. resolution 2548x1536)
  • Polyester laminate finger touchscreen
  • LCD Display - Specs:
  • -- Contrast Ratio - 400:1
  • -- Brightness - 400 cd/m~
  • -- Operating Temp ~10~C - 60~C
  • -- Format: (Widescreen 16x9) 800 x 480 with 60° viewing angle
  • Power: 110VAC - 240VAC
This 8" panel will retail for around $3,625. Prices are subject to change slightly before launching in December. A version of the N8 with XP Embedded will also be available and will retail for around $3300. Again, you can call for dealer pricing.

Why use the Nobu panel ?? Read on...

All other panels have one or more of the following characteristics:

* Other panels are DC powered.

This means that you most likely need to purchase the power supply separately (an extra $75-$100+). Retrofit becomes difficult because low voltage prewire is required. Even if the unit comes with a power supply you will most likely need to provide a separate, higher wattage power supply to compensate for power loss due to distance & resistance issues inherent in low voltage wiring scenarios (especially if you plan to attached additional powered devices to the panel; USB, serial, etc). Some manufacturers actually attach their ac/dc power supply to the back of the unit and cram it into the wall cavity. That's like parading an entire marching band around the home begging for product failure, fire, and lawsuit.

Why Nobu is better: It is directly wired with a universal 110-240VAC. The power terminal is protected/enclosed with a proper & legal NM-B romex connector for NEC and NFPA code compliance. This not only makes installation safe and legal but it also makes retrofit projects simple. (The wireless adapter helps ease installation for retrofit projects as well).

N8_power1_500x333.jpg

* Other Panels may be FCC or UL certified but not specifically certified or tested to be installed into a residential wall environment.

Other panel providers like to claim that they are FCC/UL certified. They may be certified, but only for use on an engineer's benchtop. Some panels are approved for Industrial use only and not FCC Class B approved for use in a residential environment and thus, not electromagnetically compliant for use in a home/residence. This excerpt was taken directly from the user's manual of a competing panel: FCC NOTICE: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference when the equipment is operated in a commercial environment. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instruction manual, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. Operation of this equipment in a residential area is likely to cause harmful interference in which case the user will be required to correct the interference at his own expense. You are cautioned that any change or modifications to the equipment not expressly approve by the party responsible for compliance could void your authority to operate such equipment.

Why Nobu is better:Our N8 inwall touchpanel wasn't just tested on a workbench in an air conditioned lab, it was specifically UL and FCC-B (EMC) tested and approved to be installed safely and legally into a residential wall environment.

* Other Panels have moving parts (i.e. fan(s) or hard drive ).

Most touchpanels have a hard drive. Hard drives make a noticeable amount of noise and generate additional heat which creates another potential point of failure. Under normally cool and pleasant operating conditions, hard drives have a reliable lifespan of 3-5 years. When you put a hard drive inside of a hot, fanless PC the degradation of the magnetic platter speeds up exponentially. Fans are decidedly too noisy and present yet another possible point of failure. As fans operate and age they build up a coat of dust. Once the dust builds up the blades become unbalanced causing uneven wear, vibration, and annoying noise. Anyone with a computer at home or work should be familiar with this problem. Some manufacturers claim that their touchpanels are "fanless" when in fact the processor may not have a fan but the case has 1 or more fans.

Why Nobu is better: The N8 comes standard with a high speed, industrial wide temperature, solid state flash memory device with advanced ECC and 'wear-level algorithm' read/write abilities. The ECC unit implements a Reed-Solomon algorithm that can correct two bits per 512 bytes in an ECC block. Code-byte generation during write operations, as well as error detection during read operation, is implemented on the fly without any speed penalties. The embedded disk card (iEDC) uses a wear-leveling algorithm to ensure that consecutive writes of a specific sector are not written physically to the
same page in the flash. This spreads flash media usage evenly across all pages, thereby maximizing flash lifetime. This unit has NO fans or any other moving parts.

* Other panels have a weak operating temperature threshold.

Other panels have a maximum rated operating temperature of around 45C-50C(113F - 122F) which is lower in temp than a cup of coffee. Temperatures are positively going to reach higher than that inside of a wall cavity especially in hotter climates like AZ or SoCal.

Why Nobu is better: Its operating temperature threshold is 70C(158F) and comes with Watchdog and thermal monitoring features. The industrial-grade construction of the motherboard allows the system to endure the continuous operation in hostile environments where stability and reliability are basic requirements. System dependability of this unit is enhanced by its built-in watchdog timer, a special industrial feature not commonly seen on other motherboards. The watchdog timer makes the system auto-reset if it stops to work for a period of time.

* Other manufacturers cut corners on internal components.

Other manufacturers have a tendency to draw your attention to the $$ and not so much to the quality of their components. Most use the cheapest (usually lowest quality) components that they can dig up on the Internet. They like to use the cheapest and smallest amount of memory that they can get away with.

Why Nobu is better: The hard drive is a high speed, high temperature, solid state flash memory device with advanced 'wear-level algorithm' read/write abilities. It comes with an Intel processor and at least a half gig of DDR266 Kingston(lifetime warranty) memory. The N8 can also come with an optional Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG ethernet adapter which makes retrofit installations a snap.

At first you may have a little bit of sticker shock however when you factor in the above mentioned features / qualities you can see that the N8 is worth every penny. It's been my experience that when the customer is presented with the facts contained herein they are easily convinced to spend the extra money on quality, safety, and reliability which ultimately means fewer service calls, fewer headaches, happier customers, and more income in your pocket.

We've worked hard to make this panel a superstar and we would like to hear what you fellow Cocooners think about it.

Tyson
Nobuusa.com
[email protected]

Foosh said:
We've worked hard to make this panel a superstar and we would like to hear what you fellow Cocooners think about it.
Personally I think its way overpriced even with all the features you list, an 8" screen doing 800x480 rez for $3600?

The screen looks the same as a Xenarc or Lilliput 8" screen which goes for about $250-400 and you have a fanless 1 Ghz processor similar to the nano or mini-itx which run at 1.2 Ghz and sell for $200

http://damnsmalllinux.org/store/motherboards/EPIA_MII_12000

As for the embedded disk its fancy but I imagine a a CF disk or IDE flash module would work just as well for a couple hundred and would be cheaper to replace if you ever had too?

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=16#p2602

Just my opinion but I think these are way overpriced for most people, for that price you might as well buy Crestron or AMX...if these were priced around $1500-$2000 they might seem worth it.

They look nice but $3600 :rolleyes:

At $3600, I sure won't be buying any either.

Ripper, are you using any of the hardware that you linked to in your reply? I am looking for a solution to add some touchscreens to my Elk/Insteon system. I have a HA PC, and pre-wired dual CAT5+16/2 to the locations where I will want the screens, but still need to decide what I am going to do. I think 8" will be too small, but I will take a look at the Liliputs & Zenarcs. What did you go with?

Skip

EEEK! "This 8" panel will retail for around $3,625"

Seems like the smaller they get the higher the price. That price is friggin crazy!

MrGibbage said:
Ripper, are you using any of the hardware that you linked to in your reply?
Not yet but thats my plan..just taking possession of my home in a couple of weeks.

I have researched alot of parts and have a plan.. now I just have to make it work, Xenarc also makes small 10-12" screens as does Lilliput...people on mp3car.com forums seem to say the Xenarc have better quality

I also pre-wired dual CAT5+16/2 to the locations I intend to eventually add touchscreens..at first I will use my Russound keypads and then swap them out when I get things figured out.

The Nobus are nice but I don't see nothing overly special about them thats justifys the Rock Star price of $3600 for a 8" screen and 1Ghz processor, I'm sure they will have a few people buy them but I doubt many people using the current HA softwares will be forking over $3600 for a single in wall screen/computer with 800x480 resolution..for that price you would think you would get an exotic miniature monkey thrown in thats pre-trained to push the buttons when you yell commands.

The parts to build a DIY version are cheap and plentiful, screens from 7-12" can be found for $250-500 and after that you need a small nano-itx or even a mini-itx board to drive the screen which can also be had for well under $500.

After that DIY a case for your touchscreen and mini-pc and figure out how to mount it in wall and supply it with power..most people here are DIY's and I'm sure they can see where I am coming from in regards to pricing..with a little creativity you'll be paying 1/3 the price...if that!

Heres an example of a 10" 16:9 for $479 EUR , it can also be found cheaper elsewhere..just a quick link I had handy.

http://cartft.com/catalog/il/504

Check out http://store.mp3car.com/ for some of the parts I describe and from there use google to find even cheaper prices.

As for all the fancy talk about power why not just use one of these to power your mini pc which in turn provides power for your touchscreen

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=10#picoPSU

Also check this site for more parts
http://www.mini-box.com/site/index.html

Heres an example of a 7" Lilliput mounting kit to give you an idea of what I am thinking..make something similar to mount whatever touchscreen size you choose and mount a fanless nano-itx either flat or on end within the case

http://digitalww.com/WRX001.htm

Need to make your own custom bezels?

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

**Might be pricey for one off's but totally worth it if you plan everything else

I thought that I had read that it DID include a small exotic monkey, but I don't think it responds to English voice commands.

I was also considering using a VGA splitter and *something* else to handle the mouse. I think I could do that for a lot less than $1000 each. I'm not sure what the drawbacks would be by going this route though. It seems like it would pretty much serve my needs.

Just edited my last post with few more links..I can't see no drawbacks using the parts I mention except for someone else trying to sway your decision and claiming cheap parts won't work.

* Other manufacturers cut corners on internal components.

If this is true I'd be very interested to hear how the Nobu parts are somehow superior to the parts I have priced out..the screens they are using are in no way superior to the ones I mention and if they are what brand are they and whats the nit rating? Are they 4 wire or 5 wire resistive? Either way the price don't add up.

As for the actual PC part of the package its a 1Ghz mini pc with an embedded hard disk..a CF card? flash memory?

What possibly could be superior to the parts I have mentioned :)

Personally I think its way overpriced even with all the features you list, an 8" screen doing 800x480 rez for $3600?

The screen looks the same as a Xenarc or Lilliput 8" screen which goes for about $250-400 and you have a fanless 1 Ghz processor similar to the nano or mini-itx which run at 1.2 Ghz and sell for $200

http://damnsmalllinux.org/store/motherboards/EPIA_MII_12000

As for the embedded disk its fancy but I imagine a a CF disk or IDE flash module would work just as well for a couple hundred and would be cheaper to replace if you ever had too?

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=16#p2602

Just my opinion but I think these are way overpriced for most people, for that price you might as well buy Crestron or AMX...if these were priced around $1500-$2000 they might seem worth it.

They look nice but $3600

This is not a $3600 LCD/screen from eBay. It is a fully functional PC designed specifically for inwall use. That means that it has no moving parts. It's designed to withstand higher temperatures. It's robust, reliable, made from high quality, trusted brand name components (not scraps harvested from shady online stores or eBay). It's FCC-B and UL certified which means that it won't cause any (extra) tumors or 3rd nipples from electromagnetic leakage and it won't cause your brand new house to burn to a crisp.

The retail price is around $3600, the dealer price is significantly less. We sell to dealers who install these into the homes of their customers. Some people actually make a business out of this.

The Xenarc or Lilliput screens you mentioned are screens. Hey great, an LCD. You still have to interface it with something. Do you know how to interface it with a motherboard? (I'll get to the LVDS interface and motherboard in a minute.) You can use a 15pin vga cable if you can run it straight into a separate PC, inside the wall. Now you just have to figure out how to stuff a PC inside the wall which leads to a whole other slew of issues: Heat, fans, ventilation, fire, electrical wiring/splicing, CAT5?, etc. Then you have to mount the screen over the large hole that you made to stuff the PC inside the wall (assuming you can find a PC small enough 3.75" thin to fit in the wall with a big/wide enough hole cut into the drywall).

Let's assume that you want to "figure out how to mount it in wall and supply it with power" in its own case. That brings up more issues like the case, components, cables, and how to stuff all of that into the case. Let's start with the motherboard, shall we? The VIA motherboard you referenced is just that, a VIA (with a fan, a part that will absolutely cause noise, wear out, and fail). VIA is notorious for failing motherboards. If you do a search on google for "via capacitors problem" you get 3,730,000 results. The capacitors overheat and pop. The VIA chipset also has some faulty, quirks. For example, upon completion of XP Pro online activation the OS will freeze. Also Windows XP hangs during SP2 installation (slipstream or update) with the VIA C3 and Eden ESP processors. These are VIA documented problems. It's no secret either that the VIA CPU is the Ford Pinto of processors.

Let's say you decide to go ahead and use the VIA board because hey, it's cheaper than the Nobu Intel board which is specifically designed for embedded inwall applications and you're all about cheap, cheap, cheap. You will need a case to house the board and components. You have a few options for the case. You can go around the back of your house and rip off the Telco phone box and gut it out. (Nobody uses those phone lines anyway right? It's all wireless these days). You can dig through your closet an pull out a nice slim shoe box. You could even make your own case with cardboard, bubble gum, and tape. Or you could go down to your local metal fabricator and get an estimate for 1 box. You'll find that you'll have to pay $200-$400 just for set up of the press and dies, then you'll have to pay a few hundred more for the raw materials, grinding/deburring, graining with the 'timesaver' machine, actual stamping, bending, pressing of screw posts, TIG welding, and finally anodized or powder coating. This fabrication is only possible if you have already spent the $28,000 NRE engineering fee to have the box designed (in CAD) so that the components actually fit inside. Remember it must be slimmer than 3.75" with the heatsink. Don't forget to design a mounting solution as well. Next you will have to find suitable power supplies. Is it going to be DC only? .. or AC/DC? You need to source a power supply that will fit. You will need at least a 100W supply. If your unit will be AC then finding a supply with the proper volt and wattage rating that is smaller than 3"x5" is nearly impossible. If your unit will be DC only then kiss retrofit goodbye. Don't forget to design the power connector (terminal block) so that it is compliant with the NEC and NFPA codes. You'll also need an ATX DC power supply. Try to find one that fits in your box. You will need an LVDS video controller that is modularly compatible with the motherboard. Do you know what that is ? Most people have never heard of it. It's how you will connect your LCD to the motherboard. You're in luck. It just so happens that VIA offers this module for some of their boards. But you can't do this without a power inverter for the LCD. Where will you get an inverter? Off eBay or Frys? Not likely. What kind of inverter? What specs/voltage? Once you have the inverter who will make the custom cables (quantity of 1) You will have to wade through pages of technical drawings and specs to design a custom functional cable. Where will you find an engineer to design the cable with the proper pinout configuration with the proper Molex or Hirose connector part numbers ? That's just for the simple 5-8 wire inverter. Then there's the touchscreen controller which will require power, serial or USB and touchscreen custom cables. Don't forget about the actual touchscreen. What kind of touchscreen will you use? There are many kinds; capacitive, resistive, electromechanical, acoustic wave, etc. What kind antistatic gasket will you use and where will you get it ? Now you have to step up your game with the 41+ pin LVDS connector cable. Go ahead DIYers and make sense of this: LCD schematic or this: LVDS schematic because it's so simple and cheap, right?

That was the easy part. Now get it approved by the FCC, UL, the building inspector, or worse, your wife or girlfriend.

If you can pull that off you'll be all set with a 12 month long 7th grade science fair project that looks like it was installed with bubble gum and tape by uncle Jed. When you're finished, you can stand back and pridefully show off your masterpiece and say, "I did that all by myself." ... and when your house burns to the ground with your tumored family and pets inside of it you can stand back again and pridefully show off your masterpiece and say, "I did that all by myself."

If you have the time and energy to tinker in your garage for months on end to reinvent the wheel then be my guest. For those of you who want to resell, or use for yourself, a top quality, inwall touchpanel PC (at a price FAAAAR lower than AMX, Crestron, or Lifeware) then you know where to get it.

Good luck Ripper99. Let me know how that project turns out. Also, if it's so easy to create an inwall, and "parts are so cheap and plentiful", then why aren't you in the touchscreen business selling cheaper touchscreens? It's easy to stand on a soapbox and try to poke holes in a product but to actually create the product yourself is entirely different.

~Tyson

Tyson, having gone thru all that you have posted, I agree.

Nothing wrong with a hobbyist keeping it a hobby. Figure in the time and it isn't so cheap anymore. Not to mention it is hard to get all of those individually sourced components to work and look good together.

But if you are a pro and need to get in and out of a job quick, with someone to help backup the product and are concerned with obsolence when the screen dies in a customer's home two years later, then a solution like a Nobu is needed.

First of all Foosh you come on a public forum known to be frequented by DIY's and asked for our opinion on your product, we gave you one.

This is not a $3600 LCD/screen from eBay. It is a fully functional PC designed specifically for inwall use. That means that it has no moving parts. It's designed to withstand higher temperatures. It's robust, reliable, made from high quality, trusted brand name components (not scraps harvested from shady online stores or eBay).

Its a very expensive one at that, any other fanless PC also has no moving part correct?

As for it being robust, reliable and made from trusted brand name components thats your words..you don't list what type of touchscreen it is or who makes it so how can you say the quality is any better than a 8" Xenarc...I'm not sure about your comemtn of shady onlien stores, they run a business just like you do and just because they sell cheap doesnt make them shady.

The retail price is around $3600, the dealer price is significantly less. We sell to dealers who install these into the homes of their customers. Some people actually make a business out of this.

I agree everyone is entitled to run a business and try to sell $3600 touchscreens that are 8" but you won't have myself and many others as buyers, as for the dealer price of $2700 which is posted on the net elsewhere I wouldn't call that significant for a dealer hoping to make profit off a 8" screen/computer

The Xenarc or Lilliput screens you mentioned are screens. Hey great, an LCD. You still have to interface it with something. Do you know how to interface it with a motherboard? (I'll get to the LVDS interface and motherboard in a minute.) You can use a 15pin vga cable if you can run it straight into a separate PC, inside the wall. Now you just have to figure out how to stuff a PC inside the wall which leads to a whole other slew of issues: Heat, fans, ventilation, fire, electrical wiring/splicing, CAT5?, etc. Then you have to mount the screen over the large hole that you made to stuff the PC inside the wall (assuming you can find a PC small enough 3.75" thin to fit in the wall with a big/wide enough hole cut into the drywall).

Your correct the are 8" LCDs just like yours with the controller included and probably made by the same company, as for stuffing the pc in the wall it would be done the same way you do by cutting a hole and if its fanless I guess their is no concern for fans right as for electrical wire splicing etc as mentioned previously I have 2 CAT5 and 16/2 goign to each location where my Russound pads are..as for heating and ventilation I didn't notice you mentioned your $3600 screen has some supercooler included.

As for the pc being able to fit in the wall..its possible and if it wasnt you wouldnt have an in wall product would you...the hole that needs to be cut of course needs to happen, the Nobu doesnt miraculously fit through a pinhole and expand itself does it?

Let's start with the motherboard, shall we? The VIA motherboard you referenced is just that, a VIA (with a fan, a part that will absolutely cause noise, wear out, and fail). VIA is notorious for failing motherboards. If you do a search on google for "via capacitors problem" you get 3,730,000 results. The capacitors overheat and pop. The VIA chipset also has some faulty, quirks. For example, upon completion of XP Pro online activation the OS will freeze. Also Windows XP hangs during SP2 installation (slipstream or update) with the VIA C3 and Eden ESP processors. These are VIA documented problems. It's no secret either that the VIA CPU is the Ford Pinto of processors.

The via motherboard I gave was a simple example and I could show you 100's more embedded devices that match your specs pretty close and cost virtually nothing compared to what you are charging...as for the VIA and the problems I'm sure you Nobus are not perfect regrdless of how you try to knock a DIY solution.

I wont quote your part about making cases but your price estimate is way out of line
and a person can go to protocase.com and design cases much cheaper than you say, a one off might cost $150 but buy them in 10 or 50 quantitys and you'll see the price comes way down.

http://www.protocase.com/

As for the rest of your rambling and defense of the 8" Nobu for $3600 I'll pass on eevn arguing the point, you seem to be strongly against cheaper DIY thinking yet you come on this forum and advertise for FREE and ask for our comments..sheesh what do you expect everything to bow down and tell you how cool this product is for $3600.

Good luck Ripper99. Let me know how that project turns out. Also, if it's so easy to create an inwall, and "parts are so cheap and plentiful", then why aren't you in the touchscreen business selling cheaper touchscreens? It's easy to stand on a soapbox and try to poke holes in a product but to actually create the product yourself is entirely different.

I never said it was easier or would be cheap but I can say without a doubt your parts you are using dont add up nowhere near $3600 for a 8" screen at 800x480 running at 1Ghz regardless of how you spin it.

Why ain't I in the touchscreen business? Obviously I own my own business and have for many years and I don't see selling touchscreens as a high profit business unless I was to gouge people for $3600 a pop..I'm not that type of person or business but thanks for asking.

Your correct it is easy to stand on the soapbox and try to poke holes in a product especially after you advertised your product for FREE and asked us to give comments, obviously you got the comments from not just myself and seem rather bothered that nobody is praising your $3600 8" touchscreen as highly as you hoped and its unlikely anybody that doesnt have money to burn will agree your Nobu 8" is worth what you think it is.

David is correct for a pro its a good thing and they can put it in the wall and sell it to people where money is no concern but from what I have seen of many users on this forum they are not willing to pay $3600 for a 8" touchscreen computer, I'd actually be surprised many dealers would pay $2700 for it and be prasing you all over town.

If your gonna come on a public forum and advertise you multi-buck 8" and think everybody is going to bow down and say your price is wonderful your wrong.

My $.02. That price is ridiculous except for maybe high end pros. I see Spanky with a HUGE grin on his face. :rolleyes: I give points to the Nobu for supporting full XP and not just embedded CE, but the Elk panel is very nice and less than half the retail price.

Nobu obviously has their market they are going after and it is not here on CT or even close. Looks like a nice product but it needs to be *reasonably* priced for the technology. Right now its just another overpriced element for the high end Crestron like customer.

Ripper99, have you obtained any CAD design quotes for a complete custom prototype? Let me know once you do. If you can have a complete inwall system professionally designed and a case built (a "one off") for $150, then dip me in mustard and call me a hotdog. I'll even give you $150. Last time I checked the industry standard (beginning) rate for this type of project from conception to working, certified prototype was about $50K to $100K. As for the components: the motherboard is an industrial, wide temp nano-itx with an embedded Intel processor & Intel 852GM chipset. The motherboard manf specializes in a rather wide array of CE, FCC & UL certified products including Embedded Computing Platforms, Panel Computers, Industrial Automation Devices, Industrial PC platforms, Network Appliances, and Storage Appliances. They have facilities in Taiwan, USA, France, Germany, Italy, and China. I'd say the motherboard manufacturer is fairly reputable. Innodisk iEDC and/or iCF storage disks. Kingston memory (lifetime warranty) The touchglass is actually made custom because the 8" 16:9 format is not an off the shelf size. I don't know the manf name off the top of my head although I'll get it on Monday. The LCD is an LG Philips 8". It is primarily used in the auto industry for entertainment/media car packages. It's ultra bright (400 nits) with an incredible contrast ratio of (400/CD/m2) and a temp rating of 60c. .. so not quite the same as your plane Xenarc LCD is it ?

I never said it was easier or would be cheap but I can say without a doubt your parts you are using dont add up nowhere near $3600 for a 8" screen at 800x480 running at 1Ghz regardless of how you spin it.

Of course the parts we are using "dont add up nowwhere near $3600" , they add up to between $50K and $100K. That doesn't even include operating costs of a company for research, design, biz development, travel, CEDIA, marketing, etc. etc. This is how a product comes to market. Tons of money is invested into developing the product and then it is sold through some retail channel with some margin built in for the hands through which it passes on its way to the end customer, just like every other product on the planet. When units are sold, the built in margin (or profit) helps recoup alllll of the money that was needed to make the product (safe, legal, and reliable). Our dealers actually make more margin on this panel than we do.

You're right, I did post our product info here FREE as there are no membership fees for any of the few thousand users here (that I know of). It seemed like a fine place to post it seeing as how there are tons of other products presented and discussed here FREEEEEE. ... and I certainly did encourage comments and feedback. I just don't understand why you're so angry at this touchpanel.

If you believe that you can Frankenstein your own inwall PC then great! I'll give you the pat on the back that you want. I would honestly be impressed if you did. No joke. I have a first hand knowledge of how difficult it is.

I guess what it comes down to is that ANYTHING is possible for a skilled DIY of which there are many reading this. You can make a rocketship out of a drinking straw and a stick of chewing gum if you have enough money and time.

Let me know how your inwall "project" turns out. Maybe you can keep a log to show the rest of the DIY folks detailing how much research, money, energy, and time it takes to complete. Can you take pictures and post them when you're done? That should be neat.

I believe DavidL said it best
Tyson, having gone thru all that you have posted, I agree.

Nothing wrong with a hobbyist keeping it a hobby. Figure in the time and it isn't so cheap anymore. Not to mention it is hard to get all of those individually sourced components to work and look good together.

But if you are a pro and need to get in and out of a job quick, with someone to help backup the product and are concerned with obsolence when the screen dies in a customer's home two years later, then a solution like a Nobu is needed.

If they can sell the OQO for $1700 there is no reason why this should be more than twice as expensive.

I think a good idea would be to offer it to the members of cocoontech for dealer price + 10%... assuming that is anywhere near reasonable.

az,
That's a question of scale. The OQO was designed and manufactured for higher volume anticipated sales. The in wall touchscreens are still considered a niche market in consumer electronics terms. There are very signficant reductions in component price at those higher volumes. Also, when designing a package, you can spend more up front monies on plastic injection molded parts for lower per piece prices. This makes sense when high volumes are expected. In wall touchscreens are tiny business compared to a UMPC or similar consumer electronics like an OQO.
I really doubt Nobu would follow your lead on the 10%...they wouldn't have any dealers if they were to do that. No margin for the dealer means no interest in selling.

Back