New property security

gcimmino

We're acquiring a new property, right next door to (25' away) our current home.

We're looking to turn it into office spaces, one of which will be for my wife's business. We'd rent out the other two spaces. I've attached a floor plan below.

The property is a single level home with 3 rooms, shared bath and kitchen. I'd like to offer "security" as a selling feature as well as minimize the administrative issues of lost keys, etc. So I'm thinking of an electric strike or electromagnetic lock on the exterior door using prox cards for entry with key locks on the interior doors to keep the overall costs down. This way if an office changes tenants, we can simply dupe the internal key, not care if the old one doesn't return, issue a new prox card for building access and disable the old card if it's not returned.

For each space, I'm thinking of one of the DSC Bravo 5 combo 360 degree motion/glass breaks that were mentioned in an earlier post along with a 4 wire smoke and M1-KPAS. The windows have existing mag contact sensors, which we'd connect to, that are currently wired to a well worn Moose!

Having a KPAS in each office would allow me to setup each office as a different area and allow each tenant to arm their space individually.

As mentioned in an earlier post, we'd trench between the properties and extend the M1 bus to the new building where I'd put in an XIN (or two) for the sensors, a KP2 for the main door and probably a DBH to connect everything up. Also thinking of adding a remote XSP for some security lighting automation and rate-of-rise/fixed temperature sensors.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Thank you

Attachments

• Floorplan.jpg
    Floorplan.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 27
Are you planning on designating a common area that would arm when all of the suites are armed?

Are you planning on designating a common area that would arm when all of the suites are armed?

Interesting. Are you talking about using the G13 feature or with rules? If I use the G13 common area feature, then that means I'd have to move everything that's in Area 1, which is currently the residence, to another area, right?

So 1 would become office common. I could make 2-4 the 3 offices and move the residence to 5.

Interesting. Are you talking about using the G13 feature or with rules? If I use the G13 common area feature, then that means I'd have to move everything that's in Area 1, which is currently the residence, to another area, right?

So 1 would become office common. I could make 2-4 the 3 offices and move the residence to 5.

Be VERY CAREFUL if you have multi areas. The M1G only has 1 Voice output. So if you have multi-tenants with multiple keypads, you're out of luck with Voice announcements. I got SNAFUed when Tenant 1 armed the system that woke up Tenant 2 & 3.

Just my 2 cents.

-=*Sharby*=-

I'm still getting into it myself on a project I'm working on. I thought it would be nice to add that extra layer of security to the common area of the office suites. You would probably have to add another keypad in the common area. A rule that would arm automatically after all suites are armed is within the realm.

Edit: Good point regarding Output 1. As long as you don't have day sleepers you could disable the voice during nighttime hours.

As mentioned in an earlier post, we'd trench between the properties and extend the M1 bus to the new building where I'd put in an XIN (or two) for the sensors, a KP2 for the main door and probably a DBH to connect everything up. Also thinking of adding a remote XSP for some security lighting automation and rate-of-rise/fixed temperature sensors.

As always, don't forget about surge when running wires underground between buildings.

As always, don't forget about surge when running wires underground between buildings.

What type of surge would one use on the RS485 bus? As we get closer to making this happen, I'm now seeing at least 3 runs of Cat5e in the 25' conduit between buildings:

1) M1 RS485 data bus connecting a DBH in each building
2) Thermostat RS485 data bus connecting RCS stats in each building to an XSP
3) Ethernet between buildings

How would one properly put surge protection on these lines?

Thanks

Since you're only running 25' I would run at least three more Cat5e cables. You may soon add security cameras and you can run four of them on one Cat5e cable and record them in the main house. Intercom for the auxiliary building could be run over Cat5e with the main control in the main house. As for surge on the RS485 bus I'll have to check how the M1 handles that by itself.

Back